RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #21
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
If I had this problem, I would cut the door in half vertically and install a piano hinge with hooks to hold the door when not closed. Some boat manufacturers use such a bi-fold configuration. Solid doors are often seen as a higher end solution than curtain, accordian or open solutions. The bi-fold is a way to reduce the conflict of a solid door. Shower doors often capture both ends to maintain control of the water, but a passage door, as is the case with this application, need only have one end controlled. The hanging hinge can also be bi-directional to allow both internal and external positioning for maximum flexibility of use. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It’s a disappointment to see this type door used. More than fifty years ago pocket doors were being used to solve the problem, and I’ve not seen a superior solution.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:33 AM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
If I had this problem, I would cut the door in half vertically and install a piano hinge with hooks to hold the door when not closed. Some boat manufacturers use such a bi-fold configuration. Solid doors are often seen as a higher end solution than curtain, accordian or open solutions. The bi-fold is a way to reduce the conflict of a solid door. Shower doors often capture both ends to maintain control of the water, but a passage door, as is the case with this application, need only have one end controlled. The hanging hinge can also be bi-directional to allow both internal and external positioning for maximum flexibility of use. Pat
Have to agree with this. “Solutions” that cheapen the aesthetic hurt the value. This is good looking, and useful. Take time in research with hardware choice.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Roebling , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
We just got one of these Stoett Nautilus retractable shower doors to replace our glass shower door. Looks like it could work well for your situation as a privacy door and it is completely out of the way when retracted. Here is the link.

https://www.stoett.com/product-categ...s-shower-door/
Dave - after a full season and them some - how do you like the Nautilus door ? We are refitting our 2005 28RB - the split bathroom is a target of our initial efforts.

Any pointers - second thoughts / regrets ?
Dad250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:59 PM   #25
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
The door should open all the way to the wall. It is hinged to do this. You can use a hook to make the door stay up against the wall. I wii do this and then partition off, like one big room when showering and using the bathroom.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:34 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
We really like the door. It looks good, light-weight and does not fall down. If I was to put another one in, I would get a custom height door that goes as high as possible in the opening for the shower. I went with a lower standard height (not really thinking about it) and I have to duck a little under the upper bar of the door to get in and out. You have the pockets doors in your 28 RB hallway, right?

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad250 View Post
Dave - after a full season and them some - how do you like the Nautilus door ? We are refitting our 2005 28RB - the split bathroom is a target of our initial efforts.

Any pointers - second thoughts / regrets ?
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:34 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Bathroom door removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTikiHut View Post
we removed the bathroom door on our 2015 International 25 FB and didn't replace it with anything. works for us. I wish we'd done it sooner.
Did you cover the strip on the door jamb with anything where the hinge was when you took the door off?
wareaglewalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #28
DRJJL

1985 31' Sovereign
Poway , California
In the 80’s they used a “barn door” approach with a track top and bottom.

We plan to re-install the same hardware on new interior panels.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:27 AM   #29

1978 25' Tradewind
Charlotte , North Carolina
Bathroom door.

We are remodeling a 1979 Trade Wind 25’ and plan to use a pocket door. Any thoughts on this being a good or bad idea??
Trout guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:58 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Sunshinecity , Horgau
I want your bathroom door!

If one of you guys has swapped the bathroom door...i want it.
Or better i just want the oval window that is mounted in with its frame .

If here is one who has it for sale i would be very happy to get one...
Thanks in advance!
310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:44 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnbridge View Post
I don't understand this post. Can someone explain to me how is it the door gets in the way?
I was thinking the same thing.
I have a 26 and I love the door. Instead of a knob it has a recessed slider that actuates the latch. When open 90 degrees it almost blocks the hall, so it becomes my bedroom door (I've never used the accordion door) so I don't scare anyone walking past and glancing in the front windows. The only caution is to not leave your hand on the edge because it can contact the opposite wall. Ouch!
Attached Images

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote