Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2008, 08:58 AM   #1

1984 29' Sovereign
Brewster , Massachusetts
Stripping vinyl shower wall paper and replacing

Any ideas on removing vinyl paper in my 84 sovereign and what to replace it with. Shower walls and also bathroom walls as well.
Thanks
Russell
rtjbrewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
We very carefully used a heat gun to soften the adhesive and then the vinyl peeled right off. Then used acetone (have window open, fan running) to remove the residue.

Used two part polyurethane marine deck paint to cover sufaces. A royal pain (paint is very thin, hard to keep from getting runs/sags - use several very light coats) but it has held up great and looks very nice.

Others have had great success using POR-15. I used it after I did the bathroom on the exterior a-frame and, in hindsight, would probably use it instead of the marine paint if I were to redo the shower. It is easier to apply and forms a rock hard surface that is extremely easy to keep clean.

POR-15 does have a very short shelf life, however, and while seemingly pricey it is not more expensive than marine poly and a little goes a long way.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote