Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
1962 22' Flying Cloud
1964 24' Tradewind
Murray , Utah
Holy Smokes

Hi Tim and Jen,

Jason here.. the guy that sold you that GIANT project!! I just stumbled onto your thread. Wow, you guys are not messing around! You have more than one upped me in project size. I think that the paint stripping is the least enjoyable part of the project.. glad youre done with that! All the work looks great. Nice job. I finally got my 61 GT put back together and took it out for 10 days. For interior walls, I completely stripped, then painted the lower panels with Zolotone and left the upper panels exposed aluminum.. opposite for the end caps.

I said it when you bought it.. Those years of the FC are the coolest of cool for Airstream. You will have the ultimate AS when you finish it.. whale tail to boot! Just please keep those upper metal cabinets!!

Can't remember if I mentioned it when you bought it, but that trailer supposedly toured Africa and more.. Not sure if you can archive that vin for the caravans from 50 years ago.. Awesome trailer. Keep the momentum!
Jason
streamahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Hi Jason, I've seen a few of your posts and thought that might be you.
Yes we will be keeping the overheads, in fact the father in law is fabricating another to match so we will have an uninterupted run over the long curbside windows. the original floor plan was a little odd but we are keeping to the general theme with custom upgrades planned. I have fallen in love with parts of David Winicks designs and plan to steal ideas mercilessly where ever I find them
Have you posted pics of yours yet?
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Rained all morning so I couldn't work on the cloud early like I wanted. So.. instead I decided to build some much needed shelving in the carriage house and practice with the Kreg jig. Learned a lot, especially that cheap pine splits! Who knew? The shelves came out pretty well for a first effort. When the rain finally ended I did the final fitting on the front hold down plate and wheel wells and settled the shell, hopefully for the last time. Tomorrow the rear hold down plate goes in and then all new c channel for the straight runs on the sides.
I got incredibly lucky on the c channels in the curves. All 4 corner curves are made of the same extrusion as the main bows in the shell! Heavy duty 1 piece extrusions and in nearly perfect shape.

If anybody has records of the Africa caravan Jason mentioned I would be very interested in verifying whether my cloud participated. It does have ghost images of both the round and rectangular Wally Byam Caravan stickers on the front and back panels above the windows.
How cool would that be?
tim
Old 05-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
1962 22' Flying Cloud
1964 24' Tradewind
Murray , Utah
Tim,

I haven't post pics of the GT. Im having computer issues, and cant figure out how do it from my phone! But, I will eventually. Their like an old house.. their never "done". I haven't really done anything to the exterior yet.

It would be cool to know if your cloud did do any of Wallys caravans.. That was right in Wally's active caravan days. Evidence of the square shaped one was a metal plaque ( I think) , that early members were given. I understand those are almost non-existent nowadays.

Jason
streamahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #65
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_1005.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	186370

Name:	101_1017.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	186371

Name:	101_1042.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	186372

Name:	101_1046.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	186373

unfortunately this is all that survived from the caravan stickers.
hope this helps
tim
Old 05-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Is that 4336? Our Safari also had the WB sticker on it and the 54 Flying Cloud shows the remanents of an Arizona Automobile Assoc. sticker.
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
I finally figured out today just what it is that every body loves about polishing. WOW that is hard work.
I have been continuing my quest to have the second strongest airstream on the planet, no way I am going to claim that honor with Kips GT as my holy grail. Squared up and reinforced the front and rear vent openings, I am pretty sure the guy who cut those holes was drunk or cross eyed. Not even close to square but they are now..
Drilled out the original Hehr vents and it seemed a shame to waste all those holes so I broke out the 30"brake and bent up some L angles for the sides and used C channel for the side to side bracing. shot it all in wet with trempro for sealing. Not quite as elegant as Kips vents but they are really strong and as an added benefit the roof had a pretty flat cross section of about 14.5" wide originally and with the reinforcing the roof smoothed out wide enough for the Fantastic Fans and eventual A/C install to about 16" wide.
Finished tying all the overhead ribs and stringers together with buck riveted L brackets fabricated from salvaged C channel which was previously replaced. As a final touch, I really didn't like the fact that the fore to aft stringers had spaces of over 20" without connections to the skin. So I drilled out a few more rivets, fixed a little corrosion, and re riveted 3" on center, again shot wet with trempro. I went from a roof that scared me if I reached up and shook it to a roof that I can reach up and hang from easily (and I'm not skinny) Realistically added a total of maybe 2 pounds of channel and rivets and I am a lot more confident about the roof strength.
I watched Uwe climb up onto Kens 55FC at the resto rally 2 years ago to install a FF and if I had known then that Kens roof was as poorly constructed as mine I would have been a lot more nervous. There just was no structure there at all . 2 wimpy side to side rib connections ( 4" long sections of .025 C channel) was all there was in the entire 12' center section between the end caps
tim
Old 08-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post
I finally figured out today just what it is that every body loves about polishing. WOW that is hard work.
I have been continuing my quest to have the second strongest airstream on the planet, no way I am going to claim that honor with Kips GT as my holy grail. Squared up and reinforced the front and rear vent openings, I am pretty sure the guy who cut those holes was drunk or cross eyed. Not even close to square but they are now..
Drilled out the original Hehr vents and it seemed a shame to waste all those holes so I broke out the 30"brake and bent up some L angles for the sides and used C channel for the side to side bracing. shot it all in wet with trempro for sealing. Not quite as elegant as Kips vents but they are really strong and as an added benefit the roof had a pretty flat cross section of about 14.5" wide originally and with the reinforcing the roof smoothed out wide enough for the Fantastic Fans and eventual A/C install to about 16" wide.
Finished tying all the overhead ribs and stringers together with buck riveted L brackets fabricated from salvaged C channel which was previously replaced. As a final touch, I really didn't like the fact that the fore to aft stringers had spaces of over 20" without connections to the skin. So I drilled out a few more rivets, fixed a little corrosion, and re riveted 3" on center, again shot wet with trempro. I went from a roof that scared me if I reached up and shook it to a roof that I can reach up and hang from easily (and I'm not skinny) Realistically added a total of maybe 2 pounds of channel and rivets and I am a lot more confident about the roof strength.
I watched Uwe climb up onto Kens 55FC at the resto rally 2 years ago to install a FF and if I had known then that Kens roof was as poorly constructed as mine I would have been a lot more nervous. There just was no structure there at all . 2 wimpy side to side rib connections ( 4" long sections of .025 C channel) was all there was in the entire 12' center section between the end caps
tim
Tim, did you take any photos of the L angles and C channel for the side to side bracing? If so, I would like to see what you did. Thanks, Hank
RankAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
We like photos!

I am another who is in great need of better understanding your adjustments!

Yeah, afraid to say it but its just spider poop on the interweb w/o photographs
Old 08-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Yeah, I know about the photos will try to post tonite.
I realized I never did explain the random polishing comment.
I had already decided to replace the rear panel under the Hehr escape window due to extreme corrosion around the Bargman no.9 lights so I tore into that project yesterday. Pulled the window and access hatch frames then the panel. Got to looking at the surrounding framework and decided that I could do much better so a couple hours later I fitted and clecoed in the new panel along with all new C channel in long continuous runs instead of the almost random pieces there originally. really solid even just with a few clecos for alignment
I didn't want to chance damaging newly installed and sealed panel seams by polishing over them so I pre polished the frames and along the seams before final fitting the new pieces. That was the hardest work of the day physically.
Just waiting now for Jen to come home then I will disassemble, vulkem, reassemble and shoot rivets. Should be a fun ol' Friday night!
Its getting to the point where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it looks less like a train every day.
Last week I installed a full length 12' awning rail on the street side for a vintage awning, again taking the opportunity to add a C channel full length for support. I will remove the curb side awning rail next which was originally mounted with only 10 rivets along the 12' length then reinstall, again adding a long c channel and re spacing the rivets to the 4" centers which was predrilled on the street side rail.
Final major structural project will be to remove all the rivets along the joint between the full length roof sheet and the side curves. these seams were actually riveted with good rivet spacing of about 1.25 inches on center but no support and lots of road flexing means that it leaked almost the entire length. this also gives me the opportunity to tighten the skin properly to the ribs and reduce the ripples in the upper skin.
I always thought my wife was the OCD one in this relationship but i am beginning to wonder....
pictures next- promise
tim
Old 08-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Had a good day yesterday, removed all the rivets on the street side upper lap seam that was leaking, cleaned the corrosion, fitted a Z channel as additional support for the seam and eventually for the overhead lockers and re shot wet the entire 12 foot length along with refitting and doubling the rivet count on the rib curves to remove some troubling gaps that had already caused sheared rivets. 1.25" rivet spacing so nearly 200 rivets in about 4 hours work yesterday. The wife is grumbling a bit about sore muscles today since she had to shoot some with her upper body sticking out the vent holes and others while sitting on the newly reinforced roof. Says the roof is much firmer now, doesn't make her nervous at all.
Had to drill out all the rivets because these were the only rivets I have encountered so far that were not O soft alloy. the soft rivets cut easily with a sharpened putty knife, these notched the blade like AD alloy rivets. Couldn't cut them at all. Always a new surprise in store on this project.
Todays score was a used CYCLO polisher
found it on a local website for $70, older all aluminum model C-4E-1 in great shape. Works but needs a new cord. Emailed cycle as to availability and commonality of parts with the newer units. I understand from others that they support their older units pretty well. Really excited but I doubt I will get much chance to use it before the spring.
Waiting now for the VTS order so I can finish rebuilding the escape window and rear hatch then the rear will be structurally finished and sealed up for the winter.
Still so much to do.....
Tim
Old 08-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Anybody in Utah getting ready to go the Prodex route? I only need 2 rolls but the sales seem to always have a three roll min for best price and shipping. Anybody want to split an order?
Placed orders with Waytec for wiring and connectors and with VTS for a bunch of other stuff. BTW, I have to give Steve kudos on his customer service, During an email conversation with one of his employees I mentioned that I needed some smaller wiring grommets than the rather large 1" that VTS has been carrying and that they were rather expensive at the big box stores. 1 week later Steve has 2 new sizes in stock and ready for delivery-Awesome service!!!
Need to have this ready by October for use as a tent for the fall hunts so I need the exterior lights wired and working and hopefully the first layer of insulation in. Going to West marine next week to see if I can find some nicer quality lights. Still looking for LED taillights that look nice enough to replace the corroded old Bargman no9's. Anybody have a source? Something with turn/tail/brake and maybe back ups would be great but I really don't want to get into building my own if I can find ready made.
tim
Old 08-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah

Name:	101_1480.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	345.3 KB
ID:	193962
original vents and minimal reinforcement

Name:	101_1595.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	193963
this is how joints were made-no structural strength at all

Name:	101_1590.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	289.2 KB
ID:	193964
vent cut out resquared and cleaned up, notice all the unused rivet holes?

Name:	101_1592.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	193965
angle bent on the small brake and fitted over the joint in the second pic
Get the idea
Old 08-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah

Name:	101_1486.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	350.9 KB
ID:	193966
Leaking lap seam at the roof line

Name:	101_1488.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	193967
gotta love the great fitting and tight panels. these gaps caused several sheared off rivets

Name:	101_1485.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	193968
completed framing around vent openings. Roof is much stronger now.

Name:	101_1603.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	193969
cut these L brackets out of salvaged c channel and riveted in to tie everything together, never waste anything!
Old 08-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Oops, the third pic above is of the original framing around the center Hehr vent, not the final result. Note how far out of square it is and the really wimpy 4" piece of c channel that ties together the ribs. the c channel cross piece in the front is held in with only 2 or 3 rivets, no strength at all...

Name:	101_1598.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	193970
It fits

Name:	101_1626.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	193971
took out the wimpy c channel piece and uded 1/8" aluminum angle extrusion full width. Stainless bolts and rivets. Its going nowhere!

Name:	101_1633.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	193972
straight up shot of the finished product

Name:	101_1649.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	193973
Made Jen much more confident on the roof.

Next, installing the street side awning rail
Old 08-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
We decided we wanted a full length vintage style window awning on the street side for shade so thanks to Lewster I have a 12' continuous rail piece.

Name:	101_1604.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	193974
prefit the rail, lots of clecos.

Name:	101_1606.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	193975
backed it up with new c channel, when finished I will have added 96' of new channel between the new floor pieces, awning rails, lap joints and front and rear panel rebuilds.

Name:	101_1608.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	193976
looks like it has always been there

Name:	101_1646.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	193977
Next the leaking lap seam. Drilled out 12' of rivets and all the rivets in the ribs from the new rail to the roof. tightened up the fit and halved the rivet spacing. shouldnt pop any more rivets due to bad fit
Old 08-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Then we used Z channel instead of c channel to give a better attachment for the overhead lockers, redrilled all the now slightly out of alignment holes and shot every thing wet with vulkem as always

Name:	101_1651.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	193978
Z channel used for the locker sttachments, thanks Kip for the inspiration
The additional reinforcing looks very natural and should mitigate a lot of the weak points in the original monocoque.

Name:	101_1650.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	193979
See the difference left to right? we have already reinforced the original curbside awning rail at this point also. the factory rivet spacing was about a foot apart and totally inadequate compared to the predrilled 4" spacing on the street side.
All thats left is to attack the curbside lap joint but I think thats going to wait a few weeks. First I need to finish the back panel and replace a small curbside panel so we can actually use it this year. Maybe a little more work on the belly pan too
thats enough pics for tonight. gotta leave you wanting more after all

tim
Old 08-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #78
3 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Great job Tim. I kind of like the idea of a full length rail on the street side. Even if you don't want a full length awning, you could still use the long rail. Ill need to install my fans soon so the pictures will help me do that too. Now, can I borrow Jen to get up on my trailer? :0) Oh by the way, I picked up some LED trailer lights I had planned to take apart and use the innards for the old stock lights but I like the way they look so ill use them as is. Here's the link:
AutoSmart KL-25108RK 4" Round LED Stop/Turn/Tail Light Kit with Red Lens
by AutoSmart
I found them on amazon.com for under 12 bucks each.
JT
54breadloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #79
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
OK, the rear panel worst corrosion on the whole trailer...

Name:	101_1622.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	193985
When I finally removed the old Bargman no9 lights it was obvious that the corrosion was extreme due to years of leaking. This panel had to go.

Name:	101_1610.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	193986
Window out, access hatch out, and panel gone.

Name:	101_1613.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	193987
I decided to polish the edges before reinstalling so I didnt mess up the seal with the compounder. this is the first cut with the Caswell black bar. should look really good after the brown and white'\.

Name:	101_1637.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	193988cut the hole for the access door and refit everything ready to shoot. really debated whether to reinstall the hatch, it looked very clean without it but we are going with a rear double and access seemed important.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #80
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
As mentioned before, the framing around the rear was cobbled together out of odd pieces and again didnt provide much structural support, so I replaced the vertical ribs with new 1 piece c channel and reconstructed the rest. No need to fear denting if you lean on this now.

Name:	101_1625.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	193990
Dont know how well you can see it but this is the new framing, reused some pieces but about 75% brand new

Name:	101_1638.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	193991
Every thing sealed up and shot wet, ready for clean up.

Name:	101_1615.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	486.6 KB
ID:	193992
Looked a bit like Levon by the end of the day

Name:	101_1588.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	193993
A hard days work really tires a girl out