Old 03-22-2020, 11:01 AM   #1
David and Anna Brandon

2006 30' Classic
Grapevine , Texas
Springfield Pedestal Table Installation

Hello friends,
Hope you are all staying healthy. We're taking advantage of the time off to do a few modifications to our 2006 Airstream 30' Classic RBQ. Do any of you have comments on screwing the pedestal to the floor? Is there anything under the table that we need to avoid when drilling the holes? Do you have advise on the length of the screws (they weren't in the box with the table)?
Thank you!
David and Anna Brandon
Hillsboro, TX (North Texas Airstream Community)

davidbrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:27 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Davis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbrandon View Post
Hello friends,

Hope you are all staying healthy. We're taking advantage of the time off to do a few modifications to our 2006 Airstream 30' Classic RBQ. Do any of you have comments on screwing the pedestal to the floor? Is there anything under the table that we need to avoid when drilling the holes? Do you have advise on the length of the screws (they weren't in the box with the table)?

Thank you!

David and Anna Brandon

Hillsboro, TX (North Texas Airstream Community)

Iím also interested in some responses.

4taxabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:51 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
Hi I just installed one in my 72' airstream, the screws I got were 3/4" long I do believe, my subfloor is about 3/4" thick in my airstream and the base of the pedestal is another 1/16", so I think you'll be fine screwing it straight to your floor, also if you have laminate flooring that's another 1/4" of layer. All in all that's about a full inch and a hair or 2 before you go all the way through your floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0150.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	367879   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0156.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	1,009.0 KB
ID:	367880  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0162.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	367881   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0387.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	367882  

Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 02:04 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
up or down?

I have been contemplating this change from the stock wall-mounted table in our unit. One pause is the admonition we got from the dealer to travel with the table stowed in the "bed" position. A few trips on some "sporty" roads around here demonstrated the terrific forces at work in the rear of the AS: pillows everywhere except where they should be. We now strictly adhere to the stowed table while traveling doctrine.

Any thoughts about whether a single pedestal table arrangement must be likewise stowed while underway? Two pedestals?
Old 05-14-2020, 07:17 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Currently Looking...
City , Georgia
I installed a pedestal table last year with 1Ē long screws into my 3/4Ē plywood subfloor. I didnít get good results with that method as the screws had limited bite before they began to strip out.

I had a decent amount of wobble and the table never really felt securely screwed down. As a result, we traveled with the table pushed down in its lowest position.

Iíve just installed new flooring and have reinstalled my pedestal in a different manner. Iíve used toggle bolts from Toggler https://toggler.com/products/snaptog...steel-channels and 5/16Ē bolts 2Ē long. This has removed a great deal of the wobble since Iím able to really tightened down the base without worrying about stripping out screws.

However there is still some table movement due to the flex of the pedestal tube. Iím installing this weekend marine wall and table brackets to give the table something else to support it when it is extended.

I bought Sea-Dog brand brackets from URL]https://www.go2marine.com/sea-dog-table-brackets-wall-mount-stainless [/URL] but I canít recommend them. The finish on them is horrible. Iíve ended up buying much nicer Perko brand brackets off of eBay.

The table bracket mounts on the underside of the table top and then rests into the wall bracket when the table is at itsí almost highest position. If I want to lower the top into the bed position, Iíll just raise it enough to come out of the wall bracket before we push the pedestal down.

First road trip next week to see how the new install does.
GotTaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:51 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotTaGo View Post
I installed a pedestal table last year with 1Ē long screws into my 3/4Ē plywood subfloor. I didnít get good results with that method as the screws had limited bite before they began to strip out.

I had a decent amount of wobble and the table never really felt securely screwed down. As a result, we traveled with the table pushed down in its lowest position.

Iíve just installed new flooring and have reinstalled my pedestal in a different manner. Iíve used toggle bolts from Toggler https://toggler.com/products/snaptoggle-heavy-duty-toggle-bolts-304-stainless-steel-channels and 5/16Ē bolts 2Ē long. This has removed a great deal of the wobble since Iím able to really tightened down the base without worrying about stripping out screws.

However there is still some table movement due to the flex of the pedestal tube. Iím installing this weekend marine wall and table brackets to give the table something else to support it when it is extended.

I bought Sea-Dog brand brackets from URL]https://www.go2marine.com/sea-dog-table-brackets-wall-mount-stainless [/URL] but I canít recommend them. The finish on them is horrible. Iíve ended up buying much nicer Perko brand brackets off of eBay.

The table bracket mounts on the underside of the table top and then rests into the wall bracket when the table is at itsí almost highest position. If I want to lower the top into the bed position, Iíll just raise it enough to come out of the wall bracket before we push the pedestal down.

First road trip next week to see how the new install does.

I used a aluminum c channel which I screwed into the wall and one end of the table slides right into it at its highest point. It's sturdy and works well. I also added drawer slides and locks under the table top kind of like the ones in the newer airstreams.
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:45 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Davis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mx468 View Post
I used a aluminum c channel which I screwed into the wall and one end of the table slides right into it at its highest point. It's sturdy and works well. I also added drawer slides and locks under the table top kind of like the ones in the newer airstreams.
How do you get the table end over the lip of the C channel? Maybe a picture would help?

4taxabel is offline   Reply With Quote