Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2021, 03:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
East Hills , New York
Sofa Bed on 2019 GT

Hi everyone,

My son sleeps on the pullout sofa on our 2019 GT. Problem is that the cushions that go on top of the slide-out move and separate. Ive tried velcro straps and stick-on velcro but nothing works. Now I'm thinking of having velcro sewn onto the cushion and stapling the other velcro piece onto the would slide.

Anyone else dealt with this issue?

Charlie
milesinmyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 03:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Charlie, I’ve noticed the same problem.

Pull up one of the lounge cushions and take a look at the Velcro that Airstream used to hold them in place. I happened to see the Velcro one day while vacuuming the interior and pulled one of them up.

If you can duplicate what the factory did, you should be fine. Sewing/stapling may be the solution!

Let us know what you end up doing.
-Jeff
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:05 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
City , State
Charlie,

I know your problem.

I initially tried 2" wide hook and loop with 3M adhesive on the back. Sometimes it came off the cushion and then if it got even slightly bunched on the drawer, it really became a problem and prevented the drawer from moving in and out. There's just not much of a gap there to allow a hook and loop type solution.

Then I moved to straps: NRS 15 foot Tie Down Straps. They worked well but was just an additional step.

The best solution, although not intended, came when I replaced the foam in the cushions. I originally purchased 4 inch foam from the Foam Factory. I realized I should have purchased 5 inch foam for a proper fit. Instead of scrapping it all and buying a sheet of 5 inch foam, I bought a 1 inch thick sheet of an even more dense foam. This 1 inch base provides just the right amount of fit against that vertical lip of the drawer. It's been more than a year and things are still working well.

Good luck!
RamTruck is offline   Reply With Quote