Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2020, 06:17 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Novi , MI
Question Shower Coating Question

I am in the process of planning a complete renovation of a 73 Sovereign. For the shower, my plan is to fabricate the entire shower, sides and pan, from hardwood plywood, light framing behind the plywood. Next I will coat the entire unit with West System Epoxy to completely seal the wood, smooth and contour all the joints. I've done boat repair like this and it comes out nice because you can build up the epoxy where needed, sand it to make nice contours. Last step is to put a finish coat of Durbak Smooth finish over it. Durbak claims this is a very viable product for this application. Has anyone have any experience using Durbak Smooth for this type of project?
Harry Kubbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I think if you search Durabak or for user BoatDoc you'll find his version which seems to have worked well. I'm doing something similar but using aluminum walls with fiberglass pan then Durabak smooth.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:02 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Helpful site for using fiberglass...

If you want smooth this builder may help.
A quality brush on gelcoat would work very well on the walls.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-19-2020, 07:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
I like your idea in principal.

However, When using a very hard epoxy over a flexible material like wood in a very flexible trailer. I believe you will end up with a beautiful project, That will crack and check after a few years on the road.

Aluminum might have a better service life. my $.02

Luck,
-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:28 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
I like your idea in principal.

However, When using a very hard epoxy over a flexible material like wood in a very flexible trailer. I believe you will end up with a beautiful project, That will crack and check after a few years on the road.

Aluminum might have a better service life. my $.02

Luck,
-Dennis
Glass done correctly works very well with boats...they also do their fair share of 'pounding'.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-19-2020, 10:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
"Glass done correctly works very well with boats...they also do their fair share of 'pounding'.👍"

True. Done correctly, Layers of Glass and resin over wood is quite strong.

"hardwood plywood, light framing behind the plywood. Next I will coat the entire unit with West System Epoxy to completely seal the wood"

However, No glass mentioned in the OP. Just "ply". No thickness mentioned either. In my opinion thin ply would be too flexible and thicker ply gets pretty heavy compared to aluminum. However, I think Wood will look amazing. Post some photos!

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:57 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Novi , MI
Have you used Durbak in the past? Do you like how it flows out and finishes?
Harry Kubbe is offline   Reply With Quote