Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2016, 04:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Kingsville , Ontario
reverse interior panels

Hey, has anyone just reversed the panels where possible (holes etc...) instead of removing the paint etc.... if they wanted the raw aluminium (eng sp) look???? just a thought....
KZGoodchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Well, you don't say what year/or model trailer you are considering doing this with (I assume vintage), but no, it probably wouldn't work to reverse your panels.

We took all our panels out of the interior of our '56 when we did our restoration a couple of years ago - the panel backsides are not great. There are scratches, writing, corrosion & sealants on the backsides. You would also probably have a problem with rivet holes lining up as well as other cut-outs like storage compartments, windows, outlets & misc. holes depending on the layout of your trailer.

We ordered about 4'x30' "roll" of new Alclad aluminum for replacement of a couple of panels on our '56 Safari (interior & exterior), our '64 GlobeTrotter and a friend's '64 GlobeTrotter. We used the old panels for templates for the new ones. It worked out very well - we transfered all the rivet locations and other openings onto the new panels. We ended up re-Zolatone'g our interior panels, but if we were ever to want a "shiny interior" we would definitely replace the panels rather than strip or flip them. A whole lot less work - and faster.

The new aluminum was not horribly expensive( $16.75 lf x 4' now)...it's the way I would go, besides the cost for all the stripper would be almost the same as replacement panels. The only panels I would go to the effort to strip would be the compound curved corners (again, depending on your year) as they would be more cosly to replace than flat panels.

We ordered our aluminum from Airparts.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Winnetka , California
I removed some of my panels and AS left the green protective film in the inside (bear to remove) and I have to agree with InsideOut, the fastener holes will never match.

Good luck
aircraft1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I removed and replaced my entire interior. Having had to trace every interior panel, based on the uniqueness and asymetry of every panel, I can assure you that very few of them would flip (even going from one side of the trailer to the other) and be functional. Your best bang for the buck (time-wise) would be to clean it up and paint it. You could be done in a weekend instead of spending weeks as I did.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote