Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2021, 03:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
brandon , Mississippi
Replacing Gaucho/Jackknife

We are wanting to replace our very uncomfortable Gaucho in our 1984 Excella. I have searched the internet and found a couple reasonably priced Jackknifes
RecPro Charles 70" , Qualitex Dakota. Has anyone any experience with either of these?
DilmoreFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 05:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I installed a RecPro Charles recliner sofa. Our experience was great until the dogs climbed up on the backs and jumped around barking at passersby. I will now have to replace the backs. RecPro does sell the parts at $150 each. We had no wear problems until the dogs got out of control.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 03:16 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Rowlett , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Techfan70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I installed a RecPro Charles recliner sofa. Our experience was great until the dogs climbed up on the backs and jumped around barking at passersby. I will now have to replace the backs. RecPro does sell the parts at $150 each. We had no wear problems until the dogs got out of control.

Al

I just replaced my jack knife sofa for a new one from Dave and LJ’s Interior Design. They did a beautiful job at a very reasonable price. Now to get it in the trailer!
Old 03-15-2021, 07:16 PM   #4
DRJJL

1985 31' Sovereign
Poway , California
Hi we got rid of original “fold over” gaucho in our 1985 30’ sovereign and bought two second-hand jackknife sofas to sit opposite each other in a dinette fashion. The seat portion has the sinusoidal zig-zag springs while the backs do not. I’m planning to have both recovered anyway so want both seat-back and seat both to be well supported with the springs. I’ve ordered new heavy duty rolls of springs now just need to figure out how to permanently attach them to the tubular steel frames sans hiring a welded. Any thoughts out there? Maybe I will find out that the clips can be simply pop riveted to the frame.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:54 PM   #5
DRJJL

1985 31' Sovereign
Poway , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DilmoreFarms View Post
We are wanting to replace our very uncomfortable Gaucho in our 1984 Excella. I have searched the internet and found a couple reasonably priced Jackknifes

RecPro Charles 70" , Qualitex Dakota. Has anyone any experience with either of these?

I bought two jackknife sofas on Craigslist/Facebook $50 for 58” and $75 for 72” and pulled them apart, disposed of old tired foam. Very simple design. The seats were zig zag springs ends bent into drilled holes in tubular steel frame. The backs were that plastic tie you see around large cardboard boxes[emoji22]so needed to rebuild these.

So existing seats we simply had powder coated.

On the backs we drilled holes in the metal tube frame using our $10 Craigslist drill press. Then powder coated. Ordered new springs from Amazon. Ordered the $68 Osborne 404.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7999.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	395505 to bend the ends to place into drilled holes. Then will You Tube how to bend wire and tie springs (order the paper covered tie wire from Amazon or other).

The FOAM is currently hard to get so pre-ordered it using CASH $360.

Vinyl from Jo-Ann’s with coupon $135.

So we are in it 600 or thereabouts for two facing sofas, pre-labor for the upholsterer to sew and stuff.
Old 06-17-2021, 04:36 PM   #6
DRJJL

1985 31' Sovereign
Poway , California
So we had huge difficulty bending the spring ends to insert into the drilled holes. The springs break when you try to bend them even using the Osborn tool.

So next idea is to buy two more jackknife sofas off Facebook marketplace (100 and $15) and use the seat portion of four jackknife sofas to make two complete facing sofas. That way the springs are already attached (as opposed to using the sofa backs which are cheesy plastic strapping material).

Will post pics as the project progresses.