Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2018, 03:12 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
Removing interior skin rivets -don't drill -strike off the head & punch the rest

Hello, This idea for removing skins may work for you.

I found drilling out rivets tedious. I found that a wood/demolition chisel can be used to strike off the head of a rivet in one blow with a hammer. I used a DeWalt 'side-strike' demolition chisel, as well as cheapo Harbor Freight wood chisels (a 4pc set @$5). Then I used a punch to push out the remainder of the rivet to free up the panel. If you don't have a punch then cut the point off a nail and use it as a punch.

With a bit of practice, you can strike off the head with little or no damage to the surface of the aluminum skin. But this method may not work for those who wish to polish the aluminum skin after removing the adhesive for the mouse fur. But if you're going to recover anyway, this may save you a lot of time. Also, you can strike the heads off rivets that are hidden under the edge of another panel
Bob Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I use metal putty knife w/edge sharpened as former AS retired factory serv. dept. showed me.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:36 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Fresno , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
I use metal putty knife w/edge sharpened as former AS retired factory serv. dept. showed me.
It appears that the inner skins were pop riveted and buck riveted. Will the ceiling skins come off in one large piece by just removing the pop rivets?
Silver57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver57 View Post
It appears that the inner skins were pop riveted and buck riveted. Will the ceiling skins come off in one large piece by just removing the pop rivets?
Yes the pop rivets hold the big sections up. When you get the ceiling piece down it can be removed out the door if you hold the piece as a big "u" shape rather then roll it up. Takes at least 2 people to do.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:28 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Fresno , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
Yes the pop rivets hold the big sections up. When you get the ceiling piece down it can be removed out the door if you hold the piece as a big "u" shape rather then roll it up. Takes at least 2 people to do.
Thank you Shacksman for the confirmation on the upper roof interior removal. I really do not want to remove this section but it must be done to place electrical wiring for the two vent fans and roof reinforcement for an ac unit. My plan is two fantastic fans forward and aft vents with the penguin II in the center.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Airstream Forums mobile app
Old 07-08-2018, 11:59 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
Quote:
Thank you Shacksman for the confirmation on the upper roof interior removal. I really do not want to remove this section but it must be done to place electrical wiring for the two vent fans and roof reinforcement for an ac unit. My plan is two fantastic fans forward and aft vents with the penguin II in the center.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Airstream Forums mobile app
Removing the skins doesn't sound like fun. Maybe you could consider running the wires along the streetside near the floor, and then fish the wire up the inside the wall with an electrican's reel.
Bob Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:10 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Fresno , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blarney View Post
Removing the skins doesn't sound like fun. Maybe you could consider running the wires along the streetside near the floor, and then fish the wire up the inside the wall with an electrican's reel.
Yes I considered that idea however I still will need to reinforce the center rough vent for the 100 pound a/c unit. Thank you.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:11 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Fresno , California
Quote:
Yes I considered that idea however I still will need to reinforce the center rough vent for the 100 pound a/c unit. Thank you.
Center roof vent that is!