Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2003, 07:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
Folsom , California
Send a message via MSN to rbyrnesanmateo
Remodeling My '02 International AS

I am completely remodeling my trailer and I am wondering if the interior aluminum sheeting has any structural value because I would like to replace it with stain grade plywood any advice would be helpful.

thanks big bob
Old 11-12-2003, 09:27 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Re: Remodeling My 02 International AS

Quote:
Originally posted by rbyrnesanmateo
I am completely remodeling my trailer and I am wondering if the interior aluminum sheeting has any structural value because I would like to replace it with stain grade plywood any advice would be helpful.

thanks big bob
Yes, the inner skin is a substantial contributor to the strength of the monocoque.

I'm curious what layout you are going to. I thought that I had modified mine pretty thoroughly.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 10:44 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
Folsom , California
Pahaska

Trust me when I say it will never will look the same inside.

Have sketches of floor plan and designs for new cabinetry and structural frames.

If you have a fax # I could fax you sketches just don't know how to do it online.

thanks big bob
Old 11-13-2003, 07:21 AM   #4
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rbyrnesanmateo
Pahaska

Trust me when I say it will never will look the same inside.

Have sketches of floor plan and designs for new cabinetry and structural frames.

If you have a fax # I could fax you sketches just don't know how to do it online.

thanks big bob
Unfortunately, I have no access to a fax, but I'm very interested in what you plan to do. Could you give us a word description?

With the exception of quality, I thought that the interior layout was pretty good. I could envision moving the galley to where the dinette is now, ala CCD, and building a lounge in the present galley area. That should work very well since all utilities are available in the dinette area and the biggest challenge would be in venting and in plumbing to the gray water tank.

The positions of the refrigerator vents and water heater put some pretty strict constraints on any new layout. In my case, getting rid of the ridiculously large and heavy cover over the wheelwell yielded a lot of free interior space as well as removing about 20# of weight.

Be aware that the International as delivered is really pushing the GVW limit and the axle weight limit so that whatever you do should remove weight rather than add weight. That should not be hard to do since most of the current interior is 3/4" plywood and the bedroom partition is two layers of the 3/4" plywood.

Fortunately, with the possible exception of adding an inch or two to the width of the bathroom, I wouldn't change the layout of my present 25 Classic. I could use a bit more galley counter, but what is there is sufficient.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-13-2003, 08:14 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
Folsom , California
Pahaska

The trailer is completely gutted and following changes are being made.

Installing new 60 x 75 bed and turning it 90 degress with a night stand style head board and with two 36" deep drawers for clothing drawers will have front and bottom no sides will use rubbermaid tubs for this reduces alot of weight and easy to bring clothes in and out of house.

Wardrobe closet will be located left of bed with a hamper and the stereo/cd and tank level will now will be located here.

Dinette is being replaced by couch that will turn into a 45" wide bed water heater and univolt will still remain in this area will store games in remain storage and also will use tv trays for rainy time this set up will hoping make trailer feel more open

Removing middle section of bath to get rid of the sink and to give more room for showering and will replace with stainless that section of fiberglass is not all that light.

Removing cooktop/oven combo and replacing with cooktop only and will install microwave or toaster oven.

Relocating galley sink into corner the lazy suzan drove us nuts even after modifications and will install all new cabinets with drawers that make more sense for our use.

All cabinets that had rounded corners are all gone that extra 3" inches everywhere is valuable real estate.

Materials to be used:

Aluminum tubing for structural frame

3/4" x 1-1/2 face frames with 1/8" or less panels in between haven't decided to whether use frosted plexiglass or wicker cain or even aluminum perfed materials.

I am try to reduce as much weight as possible from the trailer.

I will try to up date progress as it moves along with pictures.

thanks big bob
Old 11-13-2003, 12:10 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Wow those are big changes!!

Yes, please post pics when you have them. Really interested in seeing the results.

Curious to know if you had decided to gut it from the get go or because of all the problems you had with it.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I guess this is one way to get a newer trailer exactly the way you want. You might have been able to accomplish the same thing with an older trailer at much less cost. I would think that the resale value will plummet - if that matters to you.

The only things I don't like about the layout of our Safari 25 SS is the rear bed is a bit narrow for two, and the knee room in the bathroom is a bit tight. I would have gladly given up the bathroom sink area if it could have resolved these issues. As it is the "six sleeper" is a great layout for two (not six) because you get a sofa, a dinette and a double bed without reconfiguring anything.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:28 PM   #8
Contributing Member

Queen bed

The queen bed crosswise with incomplete access on only one side is going to be a bear to make up. My TrailManor had just about that same configuration. In the TrailManor, I used a "Travl-Sack" which is a big RV sleeping bag with a winter side and a summer side. The sheets velcroed in. A lighter weight version could easily be made for warmer climates.

I had considered TV trays, but had no good place to store them and ended up with a folding table on the bulkhead.

The original sink took up far too much bathroom space. It was a clear case of style overriding function. Even with all the bulk, there was no free counter space for the wife to put on her face.

I was able to coexist with the Lazy Susan after my modifications, but I don't know how anyone could live with it as delivered. I notice that it has disappeared from the 2004 Safari 22.

Doing away with the overly-heavy drawers is a good idea. I was considering hinging the 2 drawer fronts under the bed and similarly using plastic baskets. The big drawer under the sink, I would have hinged the front and used the space for pots'n pans without any drawer or basket.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-13-2003, 06:56 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
Folsom , California
responding back

KIMILI,

My origanal plan was to modify the bed area only but one thing led to another and while luckily while gutting the trailer we had a few rain showers and found a couple of leaks one in the curve fixed window on the curb side and another one the other side and still have to track it down with a hose, so I guess gutting the trailer is a blessing in disguise. Last thing I would want is my floor rotting away after all the hard work.

dmac,

When me and my wife originally purchased the trailer we thought that this would be the last trailer we would ever have to buy based upon the reputation of airstream, but since we have had so many problems with the trailer not once but twice so I am willing to go through with this adventure because this is still going to be the last trailer I will ever buy, if you are interested in seeing the problems we have had with the trailer they are in posted in other threads I believe one is under "following the quality if the 04's "and the other is under year and model "2003 as internationals" and then you will understand why.

thanks big bob
Old 11-13-2003, 08:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Bob - Thanks for the reference to your other post. I have several problems with my trailer. I tried to have the local dealer fix it, but they only fixed a few items. Remaining problems include peeling clearcoat wherever a bug has hit the front, corroded wheels, corroded license plate bracket, misfit cabinets, bubbling laminates on cabinets, a window that wont close properly, poor trimming of an interior panel, etc... I was hoping to have the time to tow it to Jackson Center for repairs, but I can't due to full-time work. I wish Airstream would transport it. Any tricks to getting this done?
Old 11-15-2003, 10:28 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
Folsom , California
found another leak

Finished removing all the interior aluminum and insulation today. I thought it was only rainy outside today but boy was I wrong, now I have a nice steady drip inside right on a seam were the front curves meet roof. Now I'm cleaning back the spray on adhesive for the old insulation so any repair I do has clean metal to stick too.

Thinking about using the product they use for truck bed liners such as Rhino Lining, I have it in the back of my and it is extremely durable, since it seems that the volcum or sikaflex has failed.

Looking for opinions or other ideas.

(four leaks and counting)

thanks big bob