Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2007, 08:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Escondido , California
Our '61 Bambi Project: 1st, remove the pan

After about 2 years of ownership we're going to rebuild the Bambi. She needs a floor, the original water heater looks scary and will go.. we will also try to outfit her with some modern conveniences if that doesn’t compromise her old bones. Right now our biggest problem is the removal of the belly pan. With all the rivets and screws out.. (We think..) she's holding tight. Any suggestions?.
As this may be a 6 month project and this is only the first of many issues, how should I 'thread' this? I've been away from the site for about a year and it seemed to get harder to navigate. Or am I just getting too old for change? I read somewhere that a Bambi is built for 6 at Happy Hour, 4 for Dinner and 2 for Bed. We will stick with this plan during our restoration.

Mark
downtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
hi mark,

welcome back. do a search for member "norcal bambi" and look for his thread about a complete shell off renovation of his 63 bambi.

post pics too, they're always appreciated.

good luck!

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:46 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Escondido , California
Thanks for the lead. I just spent 3 hours looking at NB's project. Wonder what he charges for Project Management? I hope to avoid a full shell off restoration ... I'll know soon. Right now I'm trying to remove the pan to see the extent of the project. Looks like the inner lower metal has to come off to get to the c channel.
downtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtime
I just spent 3 hours looking at NB's project.
ah, you'll fit right in here as time seems to get sucked away quite easily .

i would say there's a 99.9% chance you'll have to pull the shell. the floor will be in bad shape around the bathroom and entry way at the very least.

there have been a few people who have replaced the floor and did a rehab with the shell on, but it's not easy (nor is the shell off). check out member "malconium" as i think he did a shell on renovation (i'm not 100% sure) and also search for "shell on" in the threads. there's one or two that are titled "shell on vs. shell off" or something along those lines.

i have a 56' flying cloud and orignally planned to do a shell on restoration but once i got into it, there was no way to leave the shell on and replace the floor. part of it will be determined by how the shell attaches to the subfloor attaches to the frame as there are a few different methods. i'm getting ready to pull the shell as it's loose and about 1 1/2 above the floor, i just need to get a couple of guys to help pull it off.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote