Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2017, 10:13 AM   #1

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Bonita , California
Newbie restoring '59 22ft Flying Cloud

Hello all,

My husband and I purchased a gutted 1959 22ft flying cloud a few months ago. I have been doing the research and now am wondering how we are going to do this! LOL! I suggested that we just use a blow up mattress, cooler, camping stove and a porta potty instead, but hubby loves projects and this one is a BIG ONE! We are currently working on layout and the plumbing and electrical design. I have found layout plans for this model but am wondering if there are electrical and plumbing layouts already done so we don't have to re-create it or at least have something to work with.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Jan
Jpetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Don Pedro Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpetek View Post
Hello all,

My husband and I purchased a gutted 1959 22ft flying cloud a few months ago. I have been doing the research and now am wondering how we are going to do this! LOL! I suggested that we just use a blow up mattress, cooler, camping stove and a porta potty instead, but hubby loves projects and this one is a BIG ONE! We are currently working on layout and the plumbing and electrical design. I have found layout plans for this model but am wondering if there are electrical and plumbing layouts already done so we don't have to re-create it or at least have something to work with.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Jan
There are so many rebuild threads on here...just start with them. You will get the general idea really fast on what it takes to restore or renovate one of these tin cans...have fun.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1921527
islandtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Try looking at the "vintage Airstream photo archives" http://vintageairstream.com/photo-archives/. We used it to find photos of a similar AS to ours with a layout we liked and could work with. We then used cardboard box mock ups and painters tape to lay out our trailer, and adjust for what we wanted. It gave us a good working model to use. We still did a lot of adjustments as we built out the interior of the trailer, and we didn't essentially change placement of major weight pieces because they fit our model. That helped us with weight distribution.
And, yes, we agree with Islandtrader that you should do lots of reading on other's rebuild threads. It helped us immensely in our journey. Take pictures along the way as you build (and what you start with). Later, it will help you if you have to problem solve something that's not quite right, or help answer someone else's questions about how you did something!
Good luck! Post pictures!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote