Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2015, 03:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

New cabinets

My wife and I have just started remodeling a 1974 tradewind. I'm working on putting in a new floor and changing most of the copper pipe to the pex tubing.
My next project is to build some cabinets, I've noticed most people are using 1x2 or 1x4 plywood. But how are they attaching it back to the walls and floor? Screws or rivets.
Any advise would be helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
dnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Do you have the original cabinets?
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
After wrestling the original aluminum/paneling/Tinkertoy cabinets for a total of five hours to remove and replace the furnace, I vowed to make the new cabinets easily removable.

I used regular angle brackets for the most part, with Riv-Nuts and machine screws holding them to the walls and wood screws holding them to the cabinets. Or, wood screws on both the cabinet and the floor.

I had a couple instances where that wouldn't work, so I used a Kreg Jig to make angle slots for the screws (eventually to be finished with wood cover plugs).
Old 06-24-2015, 05:16 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

I do not have the original, I have some of the templates for the walls. Most of them was damaged pretty bad

Old 06-24-2015, 05:20 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the help. I removed the old ac and put a new one on so I could work inside. Being in Arkansas the heat index was 105 today

Old 06-24-2015, 06:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We attached the lower cabinets to the walls with strips of aluminum riveted to the walls. The only cabinet base attached to the floor is the refrigerator cabinet. All the others "float" so they can flex with the trailer. The bed base is also fastened to the floor. Chris used Kreg screws to do that also. Upper cabinets are attached with Kreg screws at the base and a piano hinge across the top and riveted in place. He got that idea from another thread, and it works very well. All our screws and rivets are hidden inside the cabinets.
We used bass wood for hidden frames as it is very light weight, and used red alder for the visible portions of the cabinets. Red alder looks like new cherry, but doesn't darken like cherry and is half the weight. We are fortunate to live near a lumber yard that carries all kinds of unusual wood (not like Home Depot, or Lowes), so we were able to find it. Many people use birch, which also is light weight and looks beautiful.
Our thread is "Little Girl Refurb" in the 70's Sovereign section, if you want more details of our cabinets.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:45 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Westminster , Colorado
This is a godsend!! I was just going to ask how to attach cabinets!! Thank you!
painterfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
I used an aluminum C-channel along the walls and floor. I also augmented this with L-brackets hidden inside the cabinets. I used 1 X 2 pine for face frames and 1/2" plywood for new wall/partition panels. I used a Kreg jig to put the face frames together. I did the math and figure that the total weight addition (including my laminate flooring) was maybe 200 pounds...evenly distributed throughout the trailer.