Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2021, 10:52 AM   #1

1971 29' Ambassador
OOLTEWAH , TN
New Airstream Owner needs advice

I am a new Airstream Owner and feel so fortunate to have purchased a 1972 29' Ambassador. I absolutely love it and want to do the responsible thing and get some advice before making any decisions. Some Background on me Richard 58 live in Chattanooga TN and I am a architectural designer. More importantly my Airstream her name is Patricia and she had many years of dirt built-up but she has just about every original part she left the factory with. You may have figured out my dilemma by now. Yes I have searched and seen many great looking renovations and me being a designer would love to do the same thing but I want to know from you guys would I be making a huge mistake to not restore my 1972 29' Ambassador to her original glory. I have been cleaning and the more I clean the better she looks. So from financial standpoint what should I do, from a vintage Airstream point what should I do. Thank you in advance sincerely Richard Chattanooga TN
TennRich19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
There is an Airstream only campground in Tennessee. It is
Tennessee Cumberland Plateau Campground
13 Airstream Drive
Crossville, TN 38572
931-248-0383
Go. Meet fellow Airstreamers, especially vintage owners. Schmooze with them, then proceed.
My opinion is worth what you are paying for it, so... first there is a difference between an historic reconstruction and a retro restoration. It is common sense and using up to date technology wherever it is safer, more durable, easier to maintain, etc. High rise faucets weren't in use in the 1970's but are super handy especially when washing pots and pans. I would put one in. Finding retro Wilsonart or Formica for.the counters, well of course - just remember "cracked ice" in red and gray are from the 1950's not the 70's. You want burnt orange, avocado, or harvest gold for that.
By the time.we got to Woodstock we were half a million strong...