Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Vancouver , British Columbia
'New' 62 owner with questions - pics!

hi guys

Im turning this old gal into a small concession trailer. I have built lots of them in the past but never an airstream conversion…this is my first.

My big question is the inside:

1. What is the material used for the wall….vinyl?

2. What kind of insulation is behind there? it's "squishy so i know there is some behind there.

3. Is there a second skin behind all that for the inside? Is there an exterior Skin AND an interior skin.

Reason I ask is because i would REALLY like to get rid of the vinyl and insulation and have that thing shining like crazy on the inside. From what i've been reading it's a hell of a job…if you can even do it!!

I'm making my gameplan for the inside today but I really need those questions answered. Any info is greatly appreciated.!!

Shes a 62 globetrotter!

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...z/a0424eb5.jpg
Stupidnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Old 11-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupidnoob View Post
hi guys

Im turning this old gal into a small concession trailer. I have built lots of them in the past but never an airstream conversion…this is my first.

My big question is the inside:

1. What is the material used for the wall….vinyl?

2. What kind of insulation is behind there? it's "squishy so i know there is some behind there.

3. Is there a second skin behind all that for the inside? Is there an exterior Skin AND an interior skin.

Reason I ask is because i would REALLY like to get rid of the vinyl and insulation and have that thing shining like crazy on the inside. From what i've been reading it's a hell of a job…if you can even do it!!

I'm making my gameplan for the inside today but I really need those questions answered. Any info is greatly appreciated.!!

Shes a 62 globetrotter!

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...z/a0424eb5.jpg
This is how your Airstream was built.

1. The interior walls are aluminum, that were painted with "Zolotone" splatter paint.

2. The insualtion between the walls is "fiberglass".

3. There is an inner skin and an outer skin, with nothing hidden in between.

To remove the interior metal, permanently, defeats the purpose of the "monocoque" construction.

Don't do it, unless the trailer will never move.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
ahhh interesting

No i want to keep the interior metal for sure…i can't believe the inside walls are aluminum because it feels like fabric??!? I was hoping it was like a vinyl/luan covering and not aluminum because I wanted it all bare aluminum inside if possible.

If thats the case and I'm understanding you right…perhaps I can strip the zolotone off and spray a thick rhino liner on the walls so I can clean it up.

Just so I understand….this "wall" is actually aluminum painted with zolotone?

Old 11-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Yes, that wall is aluminum. Behind it is aluminum ribs, some insulation, and the exterior aluminum mounted to the ribs. Take a look at some of the 'shell off' threads and you'll see some illustrations of what it looks like when you get those walls off. I have had them off in my trailer. They are just aluminum, though in my case they have a vinyl covering that has a texture like fabric, but mine is a '68.

If you want it shiny on the inside I'm not sure I understand how the application of rhino liner would help you. You can look up threads about stripping zolotone, it has come up a lot. People have also done shiny interiors. So you could strip it and polish it. Lots of work!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
lots of work yes
Thanks it makes sense now, im just trying to understand the construction of these beauties!

Im thinking of having the top half as stripped and polished and the bottom half as rhino liner….application is easy basically sprays on…obviously needs a scuff to adhese properly. Cool thing is you can dye it whatever color you want. If I don't remove i'll blast the whole thing!….This trailer will be designed with a small kitchen in the front and a wrap around counter in the back for in trailer seating….for the rainy days of course!
Old 11-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Construction Technique

Stupidnoob,
Here are a couple images of our 60 Tradewind approaching the shell off condition. The first is with the inner aluminum skins removed showing the fiberglass batt insulation. The second is with the insulation removed. What you are looking at there is the ribs and the inside of the outer skin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Isabel restoration 002.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	144940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Isabel restoration 003.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	144941  

Old 11-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
ahhhh interesting, makes sense I'm guessing different gauge A/S on the inside than out.

I think im going to try to strip away the cooking half and spray Al's Liner on the back half…bottom half black top half red. If anybodys interested how it looks this is my 74 boler restore into a hot dog cart we use everyday…this is sprayed on fiberglass

im just curious that insulation must be extremely old…might be smart to remove it. Dont want to because i have a problem with taking things apart and not fitting when i fab it back together hahaha.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I only removed the bottom sheets in the front half of my trailer to facilitate floor replacement and frame repair. I was surprised that they all pretty much fit back together just fine. I did carefully label them and get them back in the same spots. Still, there's always something that never quite fits right again...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Bolinas , California
just found this thread. we are planning on doing a similar job on our '63 Globetrotter, making it into a rolling cafe. Right now i have her totally stripped to the frame and outer skin. I'm planning on stripping the paint with Removeall and power washing the whole thing. We have no electrical, floor etc. to work around so there will be no water damage to anything.
So how is your project coming along?
I'm still looking for some appliences that would work for us. Have you done any research on this?
geoff evans is offline   Reply With Quote