Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Vancouver , British Columbia
My experience Removing Zolatone…PICS!

k here we go
After alot of research I'm taking on the job

I have a 62 globetrotter and mine is being ALOT more stubborn than others I've seen on here

I did a test today Using Surf Pro's "Glue BUster"…potent stuff! While it worked in areas I do need something a bit more stronger for certain areas. Talked to my dad who manages an aircraft hanger and his guys recommend some heavy duty aircraft stripper.

Here is some pics on the progress I will update in a few days how the aircraft stuff worked out. Glue BUster…if you use it, mask up and full body cover. It burns, and is very strong odur on the eyes. I let it sit for about 20 mins then put on a second coat….let it sit then scrape with a plastic scraper. I did this twice so this is approx 4 coats worth. I predict the aircraft stuff will take it right off…….. some nicy shiny stuff under there!!!

Stupidnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
i had no idea that the end caps were fiberglass…i put the stuff on there and as i scraped it i took a good look at it and realized from the middle up at the end caps is fiberglass…whoops!! Any more fiberglass construction on these things??
Old 11-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupidnoob View Post
i had no idea that the end caps were fiberglass…i put the stuff on there and as i scraped it i took a good look at it and realized from the middle up at the end caps is fiberglass…whoops!! Any more fiberglass construction on these things??
Yeah I made the same unfortunate discovery on mine. From what I understand, your year should be just fiberglass endcaps, but tapping with a screwdriver you should be able to tell the difference in the resonation pretty easily.

The stripping is so worth it! She's looking great!

PS I also recommend the Aircraft Stripper. It works wonders, even when you have plaster on top of paint on top of paint on top of Zolatone

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
Proud to be , an American
We feel your pain ....

Ohh yes, we feel your pain...take a look here :
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/1...n-83895-7.html

you can start on post 85, or take a peek before it ...However we faced the same issues. 4 coats of paint, and the one "unknown" one layer was burnt on due to an electrical fire. It was a bear to take off. However Citri Strip works very well. We took 3 passes with it and we are right on the mark, some touch up needed in parts.

If you are having trouble with getting the remaining stripper off the tracks or window edging, try a fine 4" wire wheel on a drill. Use a lower grade if you are going to prime and paint.

Best of luck on your project. You folks are not that far away, you can always stop be for a visit....maybe we can put you to work ...ok ...I know, nice try...

Cheers
Elf 1
Elf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
how did you get all the little stuff off there and clean it up? Mineral Spirits? What is safe to use as a scrubbie to really get all the little crap off that you cant get with a scraper