Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2019, 08:03 AM   #1
jonathan

1969 23' Safari
Homestead , Florida
leaks

My 1969 Safari has been totally stripped out leaving just the shell Last night it poured with rain I mean really poured good time to check for leaks....
there are about 5/6 rivets leaking which is not bad but now I'm thinking while she is all stripped out I can seal all the rivets and joints Now my question is what product should I use my brother said to paint on "Rubber Flex" Liquid rubber coating from HD but it seems most people use Vulkem 116 What's best ???
jonnyregis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
While it won't hurt anything but your wallet, IMO, if a rivet is leaking, sealant on the inside will not stop it. Water, like life, "finds a way." I'd suggest checking every single rivet with a suction cup and replacing leaking ones with wet-bucked rivets while you have the walls open.

But for the sake of argument, I'd definitely go with Trempro or Vulkem or Sikaflex over the liquid rubber stuff. A sealant is only as good as its adhesion to its substrate, and the aforementioned urethane sealants do a great job at sticking to aluminum long-term. Spray rubber, who knows.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I would put this on inside seams and rivets with a putty knife.
https://www.master-builders-solution...asterseal-sl-1