Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2017, 09:45 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Haute-Aboujagane , New Brunswick
Keep original layout or add permanent bed

Hi everyone
I would really appreciate a bit of help. We are renovating a 1967 Overlander International. We would like to keep the original layout (couch coverts to a double bed). I am wondering how annoying it is to "put away and take out" the bed every day? Can it be left down and still use the bathroom at the back? Has anyone found a better solution?
Thanks for your help and feedback.
Chris
chrisetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:22 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisetmike View Post
I am wondering how annoying it is to "put away and take out" the bed every day?
I don't have an Overlander, but rather an Interstate. However, I believe I can answer this part of your question, because the only bed in most Interstates is a sofa that converts to a bed.

The answer to your question is, yes, it is annoying. But just like younger siblings (also annoying) you get used to the annoyance in time— I've had my Interstate for almost 6 years now, and I'm sure I'll get used to the annoyance any day now…

When people ask me about my Interstate, I tell them, "It has all the comforts of home, but you have to fold away some comforts to use others." So the real issue may not be whether it's annoying having to convert the sofa to a bed every night and convert it back every morning, but rather, is it worth the annoyance to have both a bed and a sofa? If you don't need the sofa, replace it with a full-time bed and be done. Otherwise, keep converting it and get used to the annoyance.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:10 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
1954 15' Byam Holiday
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
Temp VS Perm?

The story goes like this, .... we were happy with our gaucho sofa/bed when we camped for just a weekend every now and then. When we made a trip to Florida for 3 weeks straight, upon our return home, we sold the trailer and looked for an Airstream with permanent beds. Sorry, but making it at night after a fun packed day, trying to get around to use the facilities during the night or early morning, and trying to get around to make coffee in the morning, and then, taking it a part and putting it back into a sofa gets very OLD quick.
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Chris,

We've tried both approaches. We restored a '64 Safari (22') about 10 years ago and redesigned the front dinette into a sofa bed, with access to both sides. We found that we would typically set it up as a bed the first night out and leave it as a bed until we got home. Eventually we replaced the mattress with a Eurotop regular mattress and now, it's always a bed.

Last year, we finished a '68 Overlander (similar to your '67) and designed an entertainment area sofa/lounger that converts to a bed with access from both sides. If interested, that project is documented here; https://www.airforums.com/forums/f39...er-155180.html and has several photos of the bed and sofa/lounger. We will often leave the bed configured for short overnights, but find we will reconfigure it into a sofa more often than we did in the '64. Part of that is to accommodate dinner or board games on rainy evenings with friends. The Safari was too small to even consider guests.

All that said, when we think of which is most comfortable for sleeping, it's the permanent bed with the nicer mattress.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy,

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:07 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Shillington , Pennsylvania
I have a 1968, 22ft Safari with the same configuration. The Key for me is does the gaucho fold up easily and the bedding storage easy. I keep the wooden slides on the bed lubed with dry lubricant and keep the bedding simple. I use a mattress pad and a sleeping bag. Roll them up lengthwise and drop them behind the bottom cushion before sliding it back. Lived like that for 3 months this summer. By the way I am 72 years old.
jimstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
What shape are the closet and vanity opposite the settee in? You might think about removing them, or at least reducing them in size, so that you can squeeze by a permanent bed easier. I think that Airstreams come with way too much closet space, but I'm not anywhere near a full-timer.

As a weekend warrior, I find that having as few disruptions to my usual routine as possible makes for more, and happier trips. So being to jump into a fully set up trailer, everything where it should be, is important for me.

Maybe you could even upsize to an RV Queen bed? Be sure to put that bad boy on pneumatic lifts to utilize all that nice space underneath. All depends on how much you tear out of the existing cabinetry.
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:54 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
San Luis Obispo , California
Bed

We have a '66 Overlander. I took out the sliding bed mechanism and used the parts to create a permanent extension platform. The support boards are anchored very well on the original bed framing so we still have some room under the edge of the bed. I used plywood for the top but did not attach it to the extension. I used a piano hinge about a foot from the wall so I can access underneath. I bought a full size memory foam mattress and cut it down to fit the space. There is barely enough room for the closet door to swing open and the drawers to open. Two cannot pass in the narrow aisle but it gives us a very comfortable bed that we don't have to take down every day. Yes, we would like a bigger bed but we make do as we don't want to give up our "classic" rig.
slofoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:16 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Haute-Aboujagane , New Brunswick
Wow a big thank you to everyone that replied. I forgot to mention that we have done a frame off. We are now in the process of putting Humpty Dumpty together again. I do have a lot of options with the layout but I do like the original layout except the bed/couch combo. We could put the bed permanant but I like like the idea of having a second couch when needed.

Our trailer will be a weekend only camper for another 6-7 years but we plan to eventually use it as our home on wheels.

My question maybe should have been how annoying is it to use the bathroom when the bed is down.
chrisetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Chris,

For us, we redesigned the front area on both projects, so we can each get out of bed on our own side, making the unfortunately more frequent than desired trips to the rear bath very easy. To minimize the distance we needed to slide the cabinets rearward to make a full size bed fit, access on the street side is narrow between the foot of the bed and the kitchen cabinet/refrigerator. But walking through is very doable without stubbing toes in the dark, so it's not annoying. It's kind of a shame that we reach a stage in life where crawling over top of one another in the middle of the night isn't as much fun as it once was...

Bottom line, you have complete flexibility, given your project status. If we can help with some dimensions or photos, please let us know. If you PM us with your e-mail info, we'll send whatever we can.

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Tis not the trouble of making and unmaking a couch to a bed. That is just work. You are up for it or not. Your choice. The issue is the comfort of the couch cushions as a platform to sleep on. If your body allows their use, go for it. Our's won't and we don't.

Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:55 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Clovis , California
Hi - just completed a 2-year interior reno on a 28’ 1981 Excella II. We left the original gaucho in the “living room” knowing it could always be a spare bed, but hated the second one in the middle. It was an awkward place for a sofa, difficult to open. Ripped it out & made a twin XL platform bed with 2 large drawers underneath, but then made a pull-out 16” platform to turn that Twin XL into a Full XL so we can sleep together. I had my mattresses custom made - (39x80 + 16x80) and our sleep is heavenly! When the “extension” is out, there is still a narrow walkway to the bathroom, but to tuck it away is simple. I personally like a made up permanent bed for lounging & when I travel alone I do not use the extension. The 16x80 mattress stores away behind the front gaucho or can be used to make the bed a day bed if I want. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5175.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	306346Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3926.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	306347Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3945.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	306348