Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2017, 04:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Haughton , Louisiana
Interior skin removal and reinstall

When the interior skins are removed and reinstalled is it hard to realign the old rivet holes? And do I have to use a size bigger rivet being the holes may get bored out a tad bit?
captlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Buy a good supply of cleco fasteners to hold the panels in place while you rivet them. If you have one or two holes that are enlarged and need a bigger rivet you can drill the hole out to the next size.
Most will be fine with 1/8 inch rivets.
https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-821.htm
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
68 TWind is correct in needing a lot of clecos. We removed all of the interior skin of our 66. While removed we stripped and cleaned. To remove, we used an 1/8" drill bit. A lot went back with the original size, but it also took a bunch of 5/32". It takes a bit of finesse but all original holes lined up. All original holes for the bulk heads and head lockers lined up as well. Good luck
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Be sure to label all your panels so they go back in the way they came out.

Cleco "sheet clamps" work great. I have quite a few of the 5/32 diameter size, but no 1/8" diameter ones. I have been known to use a pop rivet to align the holes when necessary. I don't squeeze the rivet tight, just put it in the hole and let it ride. It works ok for side walls, but not overhead panels.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:02 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Haughton , Louisiana
Thanks for the help, this is my next step on my 73 Ambassador, I'm also going to strip the skins to bare aluminum while i have them off. And do away with the end caps and go all aluminum.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:22 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Sugar Land , Texas
Use a number 30 drill bit. These can be purchased at McMaster-Carr or an aviation supply store such as Aircraft Spruce or Brown Tool, They also have the Cleco's and the Cleco tool. Gently drill the head until it falls off. If you do it gently the stem of the rivet will remain in the hole. Punch the stem out. If you do it gently the stem will fall out, but the hole will not be oversized. Oversized holes should be drilled out with a number 20 drill and the rivet size will be 5/32 inch. It is not hard to do just avoid pressing hard with the drill motor all you want is to drill a hole deep enough in the rivet to remove the head of the rivet. Hope this helps.
us3rnam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:01 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Haughton , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by us3rnam3 View Post
Use a number 30 drill bit. These can be purchased at McMaster-Carr or an aviation supply store such as Aircraft Spruce or Brown Tool, They also have the Cleco's and the Cleco tool. Gently drill the head until it falls off. If you do it gently the stem of the rivet will remain in the hole. Punch the stem out. If you do it gently the stem will fall out, but the hole will not be oversized. Oversized holes should be drilled out with a number 20 drill and the rivet size will be 5/32 inch. It is not hard to do just avoid pressing hard with the drill motor all you want is to drill a hole deep enough in the rivet to remove the head of the rivet. Hope this helps.

It helps !! Thanks a bunch.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Note:

Joe Somewhen may have installed replacement rivets having a steel mandrel, instead of aluminum stem, so when your drill hits the steel wire mandrel core it instantly jumps off center since surround is soft Aluminum .... that'll leave the original drilled location unusable by leaving a double-bore or worse behind if one tries to wrestle it, if the drill doesn't snap...

Take a fine punch or finish nail with some light hammer action and push the steel mandrel deeper than the liner panel to prevent problems. Plus, it could also be said ALL interior rivets would benefit from having the mandrels relaxed back from the surface to make the drilling action more self-centering.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I was surprised to find steel mandrel rivets in my son's 69 GlobeTrotter. I found them in the belly pan as I was working on the trailer. We often find "manufacturing debris" in our trailers, even new ones. I wonder if Airstream didn't use some steel mandrel rivets why back when. I kept them as a keepsake.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote