Old 03-23-2020, 08:37 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
High Springs , Florida
Interior painting of 1979 Excel

We are ready to paint the interior of our refurbished 1979 AS. I'm not sure if I should use water base paint or oil base paint? How easy/difficult to paint over the plastic interior? I want a shine to the interior, so leaning towards oil base. Any suggestions please?
Thank you in advance

janharrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We used one coat of Bondz primer, and then 2 coats of exterior latex paint. It's a low sheen, but has worked very well for us: 7 years and counting. The biggest factor, I think, is to wash the walls very well, and rinse twice before priming.
We used small width rollers on the curved sections.

Kay

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:08 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
High Springs , Florida
Thanks Kay, I have used 0000steel wool along with 409 to was the interior. Do you think it needs more? I have not rinsed the walls because it doesn't look like it needs it...what are your thoughts?? This is our first Airstream, we are really novices here.....
janharrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We were advised here on the Forums, to rinse the interior walls very very well to make sure paint adhered well. We did follow that advice. I used Simple Green mixed up to a strong solution to clean, and rinsed with a sponge and clean water. It makes sense to me to want to get any left over cleaner off the wall prior to priming. I DEFINITELY wanted to do it only once. Except for occasional touch ups (hubby scratched the walls putting in cabinetry), I haven't needed to repaint. Yet.
I'm sure someday we'll have to! Nothing lasts forever.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:01 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Crystal Lake , Illinois
Number one cause for painting failures is due to lack of proper preparation. Prep is EVERYTHING. Being a custom furniture and cabinet maker, I always try to use the very best products/paints I can. My advise......stay out of the home centers. I use Sherwyn Williams Pro Classic, which is a latex paint, almost exclusively, with the exception of having used Benjamin Moore paint (equally good, imho) a few times. You get what you pay for. Clean, clean, clean, as already stated, and use a quality primer that MATES well with your paint. Your local SW or BM dealers can help immensely with making sure the products you choose are compatible with your project.
Airstreamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamfan View Post
... My advise......stay out of the home centers.
I've used Benny Moore Advance gloss for cabinets, and it worked out well. Behr gloss was sticky for way too long, didn't go on as nice. If you want to sand between coats, go with oil based paints and primers.

I would steer away from gloss unless you plan for lots of prep. Gloss accentuates any problems with the surface, so small dingles will be more noticeable. Also, if the entire interior is gloss, it will seem much darker than if you went with a flat paint.

Whatever you use, make sure that it's durable and washable. Hand prints seem to appear everywhere!
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:44 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Port Townsend , Washington
I just painted the interior of our '79 TradeWind. I also have painted three houses so consider myself fairly skilled at this.

Here is my take: Yes, prep very important. I washed walls with TSP, scuffed them with sanding pads, rinsed with water. Then, get the *right* primer. I used Stix Waterborne Primer, which will adhere to the plastic-y surface of the walls. For a topcoat, I used Benjamin Moore Aura (Dewpointe, if it matters) in an eggshell finish. Greater the sheen, the more flaws show, so I would avoid anything very glossy.

We rolled/brushed on the primer. I shot the topcoat with an airless sprayer. Very happy with result. Time will tell, of course, but so far adhesion seems fine.

Good luck!
douggant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:50 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Around , Town
I have had good results around the home with first cleaning the surface and then applying a layer of Kilz as a base coat. Most any type of paint will stick to Kilz and Kilz will stick to almost any base material.

Bonus to going the Kilz route is that if there is anything in the base material that is going to cause bleed-through staining of the paint, a few more spot-applications of Kilz will stop the staining. Once any bleed-through stops after a few layers of Kilz, the final coat will not get the discoloring. So far, have only had to use oil based Kilz once due to really persistent bleed-through.
JayTheCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:58 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
White Haven , Pennsylvania
Whatever you decide to go with make sure all products are exterior rated. Interior latex will not do well when the temp in the trailer goes below zero

Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote