Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2017, 10:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Mountain Home , Arkansas
Insulation alternative?

I'm an engineer, and on a job the other day we were insulating large cold water pipes with black closed cell foam that comes in rolls 4' wide x 35' long. They are for thermal insulation and condensation prevention. They also provide some acoustic noise insulating properties. I picked up some scraps to use on my kayak racks for padding, then it hit me that this could be Great Wall insulation for my rv. I found rolls of varying thicknesses on eBay for around $80 a roll. The listings on eBay even call it rv/camper insulation. It also has an adhesive backing and adhesive for attaching edges. Anyone use this?
Scotty033x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Where do you plan to use it?

What's it's R value (or similar spec)?

What will you be replacing with it ?

What is the R value (or similar spec) on the original?

Run through the heat loss numbers on the trailer and see if it has any significant impact. Once you include the single pane windows and the aluminum ribs ... hmmm.....

The gotcha with many (but not all) closed cell insulations is vibration. They harden up over time (loose plasticizer) and the vibration turns them to dust. In a fixed environment this is not as big an issue. The "good stuff" is silicone rubber based. I'd be cautious about any spec you see on eBay. The "alternative" materials are about 1/4 the price. There is a strong incentive to do a switch ....

One place to use the scraps:

If you are planning to be out in cold temperatures, put it around the drain lines. It can reduce the ice buildup when you flush.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:02 AM   #3
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I'd be concerned with the fire rating if anything. Getting trapped at the back of a motorhome or trailer and dying from noxious fumes isn't my camping dream.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:44 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
How much added weight will this type of insulation add to the trailer?
Tsunami-v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Post a pic and product link. And weight spec. I like it
Old 07-09-2017, 10:49 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
I forget the name of it but I think they are referring to the same stuff used in boler/ scamp/ castita trailers it's also used in airline cockpits if we are talking about the same stuff
Swillv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:38 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Mountain Home , Arkansas
Insulation alternative?

The site is armacell.com. It does not give an R value that I saw. It does seem heavier than fiberglass, so may be an issue with weight overall, but not sure. I didn't see fire rating, but primarily used in industrial pipe applications so would think it's not bad. Couple of pics from the website:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0947.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	289253
Scotty033x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Truthfully insulation is overthought on the trailers. With all the windows and only 1.5 inch width, r value is never going to be huge. I like this insulation but if it costly you maybe putting money where it could be better used. I personally used spray foam. Some use fiberglass and many use reflective and polyiso. Its a personal choice so what you use will be just right. I learned I was over engineering everything.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
I bought a few sheets of this stuff and use it in my shop to lay on when working under my cars or mowers. also use one in front of the work bench as a mat to stand on.
Tsunami-v2 is offline   Reply With Quote