Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2003, 08:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Unhappy How many times have you hit...

...your head on the door frame of your Airstream? I tell you, I'm like 5'11" and if I don't draw blood off the top of my head at least once a day, my wife wonders what's happening!

Am I the only klutz? I'm thinking about putting some kind of flexible plastic strip or padding up along the top of the door....

-Don
Old 11-19-2003, 09:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Somewhere

drboyd

Don, somewhere I saw a photo of an A/S door that had the top of the door's interior "padded". It matched the interior fabric. For the life of me, I just can't recall who or where..(It might have been on here.)
btw, I've done the same thing and, gawd..it hurts like the DICKENS~!~

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 09:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

It is in my photos section (click on "photos" below).

I came back from an rv show with the inspiration to do this little job. We had some scraps of fabric left over from the couch re-upholstery, and a piece of plywood and some foam was all that was required.

Once installed, I realized it would not keep me from konking my head on the frame itself - yet somehow it does. I suspect it is a subconscious thing, the brain may see the door as "thicker" and cause me to duck earlier. All I know is I don't bang my head there anymore.

Now, if I bang my head on the plastic cabinet latch over the bathroom sink one more time, that cabinet is history!

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doorcushion.jpg
Views:	765
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	3884  
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 09:56 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The pad that is on the current models would probably fit older Airstreams as well. Both mine have been well paddded with a white vinyl-covered pad.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 10:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I haven't hit my head, but...

I have split my knee open a couple of times!!! It happens when I don't "think" I need to put the step down, but I should have. I turn sideways to step down and when I do my "high" leg (usually the right one) bends down and my knee runs down the door frame edge....Ouch!!! Where's the first aid kit...

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 11:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking That's the one..

j54mark
Thanks for saving me...You did an excellent job there~!
Shari...
I have not had that problem yet..I bet it does hurt.
On a different note, I can't tell you how many times I've pinched my finger on that silly table~!! Or is it just me?? lol, it still hurts like the DICKENS~
Now I need to figure out how to make a "matching" door pad..

Come to think of it..I could use a similar pad over the bathroom sink...lol

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 11-20-2003, 03:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
It's far simpler to just wear my old ice hockey equipment. Then I am covered for all possibilities!

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 08:31 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
The pad on the newer ones will work on older ones I do believe. It is simply a vinyl convered foam piece with a thick Cardboard backing I do believe. It is glued in place. When tacking such a piece in - simply tape up the corners to the ends so that the glue has a chance to dry and after 24 hrs or so take the tape off and away you go. For a DIY - using velcro would probably do the trick if you use the commercial or sewing grade instead of glue - I believe on mine its a white silicon based glue that they used to re-attach mine (It had to come off to replace the door)
Old 11-20-2003, 08:37 AM   #9
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by JodynJeep
I believe on mine its a white silicon based glue that they used to re-attach mine (It had to come off to replace the door)
Hate to pick on nits, but I hope you meant "silicone" based glue. Lots of folks get "silicon" and "silicone" crossed up.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 09:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I was thinking about a semi-soft plastic strip below the door frame. Pardon my lack of graphics skills, but a cross-section might look something like this. Inside the coach would be on your left.

I've shown rivets, as the trailer gets too hot and glue tends to give up in Arizona.

-Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	head_guard.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	3890  
Old 11-20-2003, 01:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Yep

drboyd
Makes sense to use the rivets for the reasons stated.
I've tried to use velcro and, in every case.."It fails to hold for any reasonable length of time".
I've tried the commerical grade type of velcro JodyJeep..With mixed results.
Since I have lots of rivets left over from other projects..I may try the rivet..Heck, the worst that can happen is..I can always blame it on A/S factory..lol

ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 11-28-2003, 08:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Well, here's what I'm gonna try...

I got some plastic chrome car door edge trim to put on that edge. My theory is that (a) it might give a litte teensy bit when I hit it and (b) at least it's smooth and rounded so it might not take a gash out of my head.

-Don
Old 11-28-2003, 10:17 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I've wacked my head a few times like that, usually coming in. Not enough to draw blood but lucky for me I still have a good head of hair. Hate to see what would happen to a balded head. Can't really see where the cushion would do much good on coming in, I would usually step right up into the door frame. The rubber squeege deal looks like it would work better to me.

On a similar subject, how many of you have walked into an swung out open window frame? I hit my head twice in one day on them, the day I sold it for some strange reason, not entirely related though. I guess she was extracting some vengeance from me.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 10:26 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Chas, the one that gets me is the one without rounded corners, in the front above the A-frame. It's in just the right place to put a hole in your head while working on the gas bottles or the hitch system. I used a file to make a smooth curve out of those sharp corners. At least I now get a bruise, rather than a deep gash. These little things are so important in making things run smoothly. Nick.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:29 AM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I've never bumped my head in my own trailer, but I was visiting some folks in a Bambi at a rally, and as I said goodbye I turned to go out the door and totally smacked my head on the doorframe! And I'm only 5'3"! I've never hit my head on anything!

My husband has also avoided hitting his head on anything (yet), but he's 6'2" and used to ducking. He does have a hard time doing dishes with that cabinet right over the sink. If I ever buy an AS to remodel, I'd leave that area clear so he wouldn't have to stoop over so much. That's about his only complaint in the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dishes.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	3953  

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 02:22 PM   #16
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by Stefrobrts
I've never bumped my head in my own trailer, but I was visiting some folks in a Bambi at a rally, and as I said goodbye I turned to go out the door and totally smacked my head on the doorframe! And I'm only 5'3"! I've never hit my head on anything!

My husband has also avoided hitting his head on anything (yet), but he's 6'2" and used to ducking. He does have a hard time doing dishes with that cabinet right over the sink. If I ever buy an AS to remodel, I'd leave that area clear so he wouldn't have to stoop over so much. That's about his only complaint in the trailer.
I gotta tell ya, Stephanie, that NONE of these trailers are built for us 'Normal' sized folks. I'm 6'5" tall, and I whack my head regularly on cabinets, airconditioner shrouds, light fixtures... you name it... if I were king, the sinks and counters would all be about 4' tall instead of 30", dinettes would be a foot wider, etc. etc. etc....

Other than THAT, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 02:43 PM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Either we have a bunch of super tall people or slow learners around here It usually only takes me one good crack to learn to duck. I am 6'-3" and haven't hit my head in a AS...yet My DW is only 5'-2" so she was built for aircraft type dimensions, BTW she is a Flight Attendant Go figure!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 03:36 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
you realy make me happy with these post I just bought my first airstream
it is due to arive here in europe on dec 6 th and I am already woried
I'm 6 ft 9 do I have to go around on my knee's in this trailor
think I must get a BIG first aid kit

Remco
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 06:10 PM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Re: How many times have you hit...

Quote:
Originally posted by drboyd
...your head on the door frame of your Airstream? I tell you, I'm like 5'11" and if I don't draw blood off the top of my head at least once a day, my wife wonders what's happening!

Am I the only klutz? I'm thinking about putting some kind of flexible plastic strip or padding up along the top of the door....

-Don
Don, at my height I don't hit my head on the doorframe, but I DO hit it on that small trim piece that protrudes down from the cabinets right next to the door. After about the umpteenth time I whacked my head on it, I noticed the color of the paneling seemed to be fading from the force of all those blistering four letter words I have unleashed upon the offending item...
Terry
Old 11-28-2003, 07:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
6'-5" is "Normal"?

Seems rather tall to me.

At one time I thought I was average height at 5'-9" but I suspect that might have been average before my Airstream was built. Today it might be average for junior high.

I hit my head usually on exiting but not entering my Airstream.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote