RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-12-2020, 09:07 AM   #1

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Holland , New York
Help! Water jug leaked out on floor overnight!

Somehow a 5 gallon jug of water fell on the floor during the night while we weren't there and flooded the floor. When we found it, there was no sign of water anywhere until we looked closer. It was soaked up by the couches at their base and along the base of the bed. Not sure if any went under the flooring but probably? We getting fans in there but not sure what else to do.
Does anyone have any suggestions? We don't want to have mold or permanent damage from this. Yikes!
Tedfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:12 AM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Shop vac and fans with the windows open for a few days will take care of it. After that, putting a dehumidifier inside for a few days with the trailer sealed up wouldn't hurt.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:16 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
I forgot the outside rubber mat on the floor and found condensation under. It turned the floor cloudy but a fan for a day it went back to normal. If need be put paper towel against wood then put baking soda and or salt on it it will draw out the moisture
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:20 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Help! Water jug leaked out on floor overnight!

1) Soak up any remaining water if there he is any.

2) Setup a dehumidifier (if you have one) on the countertop and let the hose drain into the sink if possible.

If you donít have a dehumidifier you can use the air conditioning. It will lower the humidity, just not as effectively as a dehumidifier in my experience.

3) Add a fan or two to help circulate the inside air.

4) Open any cabinet doors and remove the cushions from your furniture so the dry air can circulate.

Youíre not the first to have water issues. The big thing is to make sure things get completely dried out.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
A wet vac will speed water removal from the sofa and other fabric. If the flooring was put down well and is intact, the water will have run off the sides into the undercarriage and tank pan and on to the ground.

If you have a portable electric heater point it in the general area of the dampness and run the AC also at say 68 degrees or somewhere where it will cycle off once every half hour. Should be all dry in maybe 8 hours at the most. Also once every hour switch to the furnace for 15 min. to dry out the pan area as it blows warm are down there. If you don't have a portable heater just alternate with the furnace and AC. Slower but still effective is to run the AC only at 65-68 for a couple days.

Then cross your fingers you don't have any floor separation but I would doubt it. If you dry things out the way described you won't have any moisture or mold issue.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:09 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Annapolis , Maryland
Dehumidifier

Consider renting a large dehumidifier. That is the best way to get all of the moisture out.

We suffered water damage on our boat, with many gallons of water. A dehumidifier removed all of the moisture- confirmed by moisture test equipment.

Let it run for a day or two.
rhpeahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:14 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
North Fort Myers , Florida
Heat

Crank up your furnace and use the physics of water. The hotter it is inside your unit the quicker it will evaporate and eliminate any mold problems.
Best of luck!
TLBIJOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:28 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Napa , California
Double or triple check the wood to be sure it hasn't delaminated! We had a tiny leak that wrecked havoc on the interior; cushions, wood veneers, plywood. If not dried properly and quickly they can warp, the glue can give out and all can get moldy even if they look fine at first. Took a lot of work to get things back to normal.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:23 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB International
Charlotte , NC
Well, we had a tiny leak (could have just tightened the connection in the closet) but we couldn't locate it. By the time we found it water was under our floor and kept oozing out. We chose to pull everything out, dry off the Lifeproof vinyl planks and reinstall. Sounded like a nightmare but since we had put the floor down it took a matter of about 3 hours total. Not bad at all and we felt so much better knowing everything had been thoughly dried off! It's work but you feel so much better after doing it right!
VDR928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:05 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Charlotte , North Carolina
First, don’t beat yourself up about it. I made coffee on a timer and forgot to put in the pot. Hot water on the floor for a couple hours before I figured it out I have also overflowed the black tank while flushing it out.

Both got dried up with towels to the extent I could, lots of towels in every hole and crevice I could find. Then AC. We didn’t have a big humidifier then like we do now but it all worked out. The worst one (as far as the floor was concerned) was the coffee. Real hot water is bad. It made the floor buckle a little and I thought it stretched the fabric flooring. But after a month or so, you could not tell and all was normal.

As long as you catch it (you have) in a reasonable time and get the puddled or standing water Out that a cloth would take up, with reasonable dehumidification, I think you should be OK. It is the longer term moisture that is the mold hazard. The buckling of a floor will fix itself once it dries (in my experience only).

Remember this as one of the ‘remember when’ stories. And NEVER use the black tank flush for too long. Never.
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:11 PM   #11

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Holland , New York
Thank you!

Thank you so much everyone here for you help. We are implementing as much as we can and will let you know how it goes. Phew!! Its so nice to have your support.
Tedfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote