Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Three Rivers , California
Help me clean my Airstream find

This Post is not in reply to another post but I need help with a wonderful Airstream I just Purchased.
Ir is a 1968 28' Ambassador. This is the Problem. It has been sitting for about 10 years with no use, except for the Gross invasion of Rats and Mice. They have litterally used every place they could to make a mess of everything.
Droppings and urine, in some place inches thick. What I am worried about is the under pan and how do I clean in there or should I worry about it.
I wish I could just go in and use a power sprayer to wash every thing out.
I have removed most of the carpeting and washed down most of the cabinets but have not finished it. How about worring about the Hanta Virus. Are only some Mice and Rats infected with this virus or is this a problem nationwide. I have been using a cover for my nose and mouth. Please, any suggestion would be appreciated.
Also, How can I check the electrical to see if they have chewed through the wiring. Also, I need to check the plumbing and any help on this would be appreciated. I am just a women in her later years but have always liked to do it yourself and love to take on new challenges. Please HELP
chapparel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Congratulations on your purchase! I recall a conversation on the VAP podcast where mice had actually gotten up into sidewalls and required major disassembly to finally remove all smells. You will probably end up removing some interior items for some reason sometime -- hope you have a pocket sized digital camera and can get plenty of photos as you take things apart. I forgot certain details and was glad to have a reference to go back to. These were nothing I'd have had printed up -- just a handy backup.

Mouse urine is nasty anyway. We have had small discussions on hantavirus at the Forums. The dry southwest has had more incidents than other areas. I believe it has to be endemic in the area your trailer has been stored for it to be a risk. It might be fruitful to talk to local health department, physicians or hospital/ER sources -- and you might find there truly was none in the area.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:45 PM   #3
WHR
2 Rivet Member

1981 24' International
1967 17' Caravel
West Richland , Washington
mouse invasion

Welcome to the forums. Aside from the the clean up issue is the potential issue with future mouse control and the use of mouse baits. Don't them in your trailer! As the mouse is dying, it will run into some out of the way place and decompose and make the smell problem worse. Use the old fashion wood spring traps and peanut butter. Works like a charm. Wade
Old 12-31-2006, 03:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Unfortunatly the mice probably did travel all through the walls. I had a 58 that was on a farm for 20 years and it was a mouse hotel, in the walls and floor. Floor to ceiling, front to back was all mice nests.
Try to take down some wall panels and have a look. When they travel in the walls they use the holes for the wiring and could have chewed some to get through. The 68 used aluminum wireing and it would be better changed.
It can be cleaned up but will take some time and lots of rivets.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Three Rivers , California
Help me clean my Airstream

Thanks for the good information. Special thanks to Canoe Stream the Moderator for moving my Post into the proper area.
I could not find out how to go to the right place to make a new Post.

I just wanted to comment that the area that this Airstream has lived almost of its life in the Hill country East of San Jose, Ca. I think this area would be considered Inland Coastal. Hopefully, mice and Rats do not carry the Virus in the area. I will do some checking with the Dept. of Health and Safety for any cases detected in that area.
chapparel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
You may have some luck checking with the CDC or checking their website to see if they give you information on the virus and where there has been a record of an outbreak. A 5 to 1 or 10 to 1 bleach solution is effective on viruses, but must be sprayed or poured on and then you need to get out for a while. When bleach reacts with urine it is a nasty reaction. It will nutralize the odor but the chemical reaction takes a little time. We have always used this bleach solution to clean our kennel. There is no urine order after this type of cleaning. Good luck with your project. You will love it once you are actually able to use it.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote