Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2017, 11:33 AM   #1

1976 31' Sovereign
Medina , Tennessee
Front header panel help

I just purchased a 1976. 31 foot sovereign. I am wanting to restore. Everything from rear bedroom forward is there. They front header panel has a 10 " long crack starting from the bottom and going up. It looks like it might have been cut. I want to repair this if I can to save the header. Anyone have any ideas what will hold it together. Do I have to remove it to repair
Cquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums.

Yes, you will most likely have to remove it to repair it. Just to be clear, you are talking about the quarter-dome shaped plastic piece that has the little cabinet, the speakers, and possibly the control center built into it, right?

This piece is made of ABS plastic, and will be quite brittle now that it is 40 years old. Removal is a two or three person job to keep the damage from getting any worse. You will struggle to find a glue that will stick to the old ABS. I have tried plastic welding, and have tried using the solvent based cements that are used in plumbing, but I didn't have much luck.

The bathroom components are made of the same stuff. I practically rebuilt by bathtub using epoxy based fiberglass laid up on the back surface--I suspect this is the surest bet for your repair as well. Don't try using the cheap polyester based fiberglass stuff you can get at the autoparts store--it won't stick.

If you only want to achieve a purely superficial fix, you might be able to squirt a flexible caulk into the crack, wipe it flat, and call it good. Not what I would call a structural repair, and the crack is likely to resurface eventually, but this would not require you to remove the piece.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 16' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
The front panel is made from ABS. Obtain some ABS sheet stock and glue a doubler to the back with ABS solvent paste. Fill the visual side with the Paste and paint to match.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#abs/=19o45vp
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:14 PM   #4

1976 31' Sovereign
Medina , Tennessee
Thanks for the input. I will definitely want to do the best repair as possible.
Cquinn is offline   Reply With Quote