Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2020, 12:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
floor replacement cost?

I'm Airstream shopping, and one I found, while mostly in good condition, the downside is that the floors around the rear bed are soft.

Thus, it needs whatever leak to be addressed, but also, the bed assembly removed, the floors taken up, new floor put down, bed replaced, etc.

A) Aside form the factory, are there reputable places to have such done?

B) What would be an expected ballpark range on how much that would cost to have done?

Regards,

-L
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
It would help to know age, length, location. Even then, it is really tough to make a call on this remotely. Subfloor is one thing, the frame, especially the outriggers, doesn’t take well to chronic moisture.

If this is something you would need to pay someone to complete, it is unlikely to make financial sense to do so.

Just my 2 cents.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
If you elect to use some flavor of plywood (marine grade, sealed, etc.) it will last about a decade, give or take.

OSB will rot even sooner.

Coosa Board will last forever, so you only have to do this once. It's virtually water proof, mold resistant, critter and bug proof and 30% lighter than plywood, but more expensive.

Search the forums for floor replacement and you'll find lots of interesting threads with pics. Some do it shell-off, others leaving the shell on. If you need extensive frame repair, then shell-off is the way to go. Either way, its a pain, which is why you only ever want to do it once.

So asking what it costs to do a floor replacement is exactly like asking, what's it cost to restore this classic hot rod. As much as you want to spend, plus tax.

Plenty of other reputable places; a few off the top of my mind: P&S trailer, Timeless Travel Trailers, Hoffman Architecture...do a web search for "Airstream restoration" and even more companies will show up whom you can call for a quote: it won't be cheap, but if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:27 AM   #4
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
floor replacement cost?

I had about 1/4 of the floor replaced in the rear of my 2008 25’. Removed corner bed, shower, vanity, new subfloors, etc. $6,000 in labor. It’s a big job. That did not include installing new flooring on top of the new subfloor.

Timeless travel trailers in Denver did the work and they did an awesome job. It was done right.

Hope that helps.
Attached Images

wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:03 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
If you elect to use some flavor of plywood (marine grade, sealed, etc.) it will last about a decade, give or take.

Plywood will last indefinitely if it is kept dry.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
It's a 2007 28' International with a rear queen, floor is soft on both sides of the bed. The current owner owns the RV park at which it is currently located. One of the things being bandied about is that he'd have the floor replaced prior to sale. Things are still in discussion at this point.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:55 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
It's a 2007 28' International with a rear queen,
Try to find TrupetGuy, I think the name was. He had the same model, same problem and had it repaired I'm pretty sure.

I'd guess that's the rig in Florida. If it's been sitting as a rental you can expect it to need new axles also.

I personally wouldn't have a seller undertake a major repair like that for my purchase. Better to buy it at a price that reflects the repairs needed then have the work done to your standards.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:57 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
TrumpetGuy

https://www.airforums.com/forums/mem...uy-107447.html
Old 06-02-2020, 01:17 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Rogers , AR
We bought our 2007 25FB knowing the rear floor (dinette) was nearly gone. Hoss in Avoca, Arkansas pulled up the dinette, rolled back the vinyl flooring, replaced the rotted floor and fixed the source of the leak for about $1500 and in good time.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ponderosarvcenter/
https://goo.gl/maps/bnECvCRcenrPUgWKA
2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S 550hp/553tq
2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 5.3L built 4L60e, 40k Tru-cool
Mr. Merk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboater View Post
Plywood will last indefinitely if it is kept dry.
And your bank account will continue to draw interest and make you a millionaire if you never spend a dime.

There is a reason that floor replacement is as big an issue as it is and it has to do precisely with the fact that airstream elects to use plywood as a subfloor, a material only slightly more suitable for the application than cardboard.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:23 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
There is a reason that floor replacement is as big an issue as it is and it has to do precisely with the fact that airstream elects to use plywood as a subfloor, a material only slightly more suitable for the application than cardboard.
The problem is not the sub floor material. The problem is water leaking into the interior of the rig. That water, even if the subfloor can't rot, still causes problems, rusty frames being one of them. The issue is stopping leaks.

The plywood sub floor in my Safari is 17+ years old and holding up just fine because I don't let leaks go.

Cute comment about the bank account thing, and the cardboard too.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Actually, you’ve got a lot more to worry about then just leaks. The real problem is water and water can come from many sources over the life of the trailer.

It will be water intrusion at the rear bumper in a well-documented issue at the rear.

There will be water coming in from open windows or vents left open in the rain or overnight.

There will be water from spills, wet shoes and clothing, dogs, dog dishes, and other such sources.

They’ll be water coming in around the wheel wells and at the door and around the toilets, and underneath the refrigerator.

There are also numerous plumbing leaks over the life of the trailer.

There’s also condensation that forms on the walls and drips down and penetrates the subfloor.

There are in fact a variety of sources of water besides the relatively easy to detect and correct occasional leak.

This is why many of us have come to the conclusion that airstream continuing to use plywood as a sub floor material is beyond suboptimal when there are a number of waterproof composite materials out there that purchased in bulk would only add perhaps a couple thousand dollars at most to the cost of the airstream.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:23 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Currently Looking...
City , Georgia
floor replacement cost?

Might not be of much help to you, but I’ve just completed my DIY rear subfloor replacement along with new flooring in my 2006 28’ International. I’ve spent right at $2,000 in all materials and fasteners alone. All the labor is my own.

Note that my costs included using Coosa board for the subfloor (2 sheets at approx. $240 per) and another $1100 in LVT plank flooring.

I purchased the AS 2 years ago knowing it had soft floors in the rear. As noted above, if the unit you’re looking at has bad floors, be prepared to spend money and time chasing and fixing water intrusion. Even after lots of of work sealing my AS, I found wet areas and subfloor damage I didn’t know I had when the original vinyl floor was pulled up.

Your subfloor in the rear might look like this. I had 2 other bad spots in the front (both due to lack of sealants not applied at time of manufacturing behind rock guard mounting points).
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0583.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	369307
GotTaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:36 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Rogers , AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotTaGo View Post
I purchased the AS 2 years ago knowing it had soft floors in the rear. As noted above

Your subfloor in the rear might look like this.
Attachment 369307
Mine was identical to this. I'm actually dropping my trailer off today to have him look at the front because the carpeted storage area under the bed is damp.
2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S 550hp/553tq
2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 5.3L built 4L60e, 40k Tru-cool
Mr. Merk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboater View Post
I'd guess that's the rig in Florida. If it's been sitting as a rental you can expect it to need new axles also.
I get that bearings might need attention having sat still, things need to be regreased, ensure brakes are moving and functioning. However, I'm not quite following as to why it might need new axles if it has simply been sitting awhile. Could you elaborate on that for me?
Old 06-03-2020, 01:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Thanks for pitching in, everyone. Lots to consider and mull over. It is very appreciated. I've gone and read Trumpetguy's thread, been reading on others, and am thankful for any more thoughts and suggestions.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:32 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
I'm not quite following as to why it might need new axles if it has simply been sitting awhile.
Torsion axles need to be used on a somewhat regular basis or they will stiffen up. The worst thing for them is to just sit.

Read what Andy has to say in this thread:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f43...ng-123925.html

Like him or not (I did), Andy knows Airstreams.

Checking them out is not difficult. A little jacking and measuring will tell the story. Also a magnetic torpedo level is of great help in checking them.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I am getting older. Oddly this happens every day, even when I don't schedule it.
I know my 25 EB (2012) will need floor patches before long. I will never buy another new Airstream unless they change to Coosa floor.

I will spend the money to completely replace my floor with Coosa, AND convert it to twins just for easy bed making!