Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2021, 01:50 PM   #1

1968 22' Safari
Wolcott , Vermont
Question Dried glue on interior aluminum???

Hi all -- newbie here! My partner and I are restoring my family's '68 Safari and are struggling to clean our interior aluminum after removing the wall panels and insulation/wiring.

Not sure if this was from the original build or a renovation (we don't know much of our trailer's history), but there is a thick, dried on substance all over the inner aluminum in the front and back of our trailer, along with super old stuck on electrical tape (photos attached). We are totally lost as to how to get this stuff off, we have tried simple green and steel wool but just ended up scratching the metal... we tried goo gone for the tape but really struggled to scrape it off on the curved areas...

Any ideas? Is it even worth getting the sticky stuff off? Here are some photos:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2009.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	492.6 KB
ID:	408220   Click image for larger version

Name:	sdflkjsdf.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	480.0 KB
ID:	408221  

safarinuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 02:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Long ago I used a heat gun on some plaster or stucco stuff in an old house. I'd try a heat gun (rent/borrow) in a small area and see how that works.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 02:42 PM   #3
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Why are you worried about the dried glue on the inside of the exterior panels?

You've got to replace the interior panels you removed. They add to the structural integrity of the trailer and can't be left off. Once they're back in place you won't see the dried glue your talking about. Likely that glue was there to hold the original insulation in place during construction.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
I agree with Richard. In our renovations we cleaned the interior of the exterior skin with Simple Green to get rid of the rodent residue. You will likely paint on an automotive seam sealer to seal the joints on the inside. We also sealed the tails of the Brasier rivets. So, you’re going to make a mess anyway. Anything I wanted off I used Goof Off. But not necessary. Good luck
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
If it doesn't come of with xylene or MEK it may as well stay, that said I like a clean slate too.
Old 11-22-2021, 02:28 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Petrolia , Ontario
Dried glue removal

Please bear in mind, (for your own health) MEK and Xylene are suspected carcinogens. Methyl Ethyl Ketone is almost impossible to purchase in Canada because of this. I believe I could find Xylene but I’m sure it would take a search. I used to work in the petro-chemical industry at a unit that was dedicated to removing B.T.X. (Benzene, Toluene & Xylene) from motor fuel. Benzene is definitely a known carcinogen and the others are sisters that come off a distillation tower at slightly different levels in the column. These can be used safely but not without proper Personal Protective Equipment, such as respirators, rubber gloves and good ventilation.
If you are covering this area, as suggested before, don’t worry about it. Just re-insulate and cover it over with the interior skins.

Jim
Portage to Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:21 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Laurel , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
Long ago I used a heat gun on some plaster or stucco stuff in an old house. I'd try a heat gun (rent/borrow) in a small area and see how that works.
~$20-25 for a heat gun Har Freigh
It will come in handy for other uses. Rick
Rick n Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick n Mary View Post
~$20-25 for a heat gun Har Freigh
It will come in handy for other uses. Rick
Back when they gave out coupons I got mine for about $7. Even the cashier said I got a deal. I had to replace the cord with a heavy duty one. The original burned out after a couple uses
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:21 AM   #9
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
Quote:
Is it even worth getting the sticky stuff off?
Nope; no advantage to removing this residue. It will be covered by insulation and an internal skin. Save your time for all of the other projects that will need done. Good luck!
CC
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
x3,

Just go over it with your new insulation and replace the inner skin. And you will never see it again.

Avoid working against the skin, applying heat to the aluminium in the order of 500+ degrees that those guns can easily produce is not good for the sheet aluminum. Avoid scraping the skin with a putty knife or other metal tool as this can leave marks that will show on the outside. If you are going to polish the outside, any marks will really stand out.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:46 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard.👍

Take your Dremel tool and inscribe...."If you can read this, I hope you know what you're doing"
Sign it..and continue your project.

Bob
🇺🇸