Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Simpsonville , South Carolina
Question Carpet Removal

I have 1998 AIRSTREAM 31ft Classic rear queen layout. Wanting to take all carpet out except bedroom. Took out of bath, had to remove toilet to get all out. When they built these units they put carpet in then put everything on top of it. I cut out with a razor knife, but it is almost impossible to get it real neat and clean around wall and cabinets. I put peal & stick tile in bathroom. I used 1/4 round molding around edges, came out neat. Want to put flooring (like Pergo) in lounge, galley and hall. Is there some sort of tool that will aid in cutting/trimming the carpet out around the edges that is not to expensive ? I have the flooring but am hesitant because of the difficulty in the 3x2 bathroom getting old carpet out. Don't know what rocket scientist came up with the idea of putting carpet in a camper in the first place.
sctinman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I agree with you about the carpet in an RV thing. Mine only has carpet in the bedroom. I may change that someday too, but so far so good in condition of my carpet. Short of removing everything, I would just use a razor knife or box cutter to remove as much carpet as possible. Put in new floor and install base moldings of some sort.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Not sure if it would help, but one of those hooked shaped blades for a utility like roofers use to cut shingles may do the job.

When you get yours done, come on up and help me.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:01 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Short of removing everything, I would just use a razor knife or box cutter to remove as much carpet as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Not sure if it would help, but one of those hooked shaped blades for a utility like roofers use to cut shingles may do the job.
Right tool for the right job. Carpet knives only cost about $10 at Ace Hardware or Home Depot.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marco Island , Florida
Removing Carpeting

I used a utility knife and countless blades to cut through our carpeting and padding in order to remove it. Unfortunately once the carpet is out there are still countless strands of carpet fibers that peek out from under base cabinets etc. This was remedied by painstakingly using needle-nosed pliers to remove each fiber one by one. If I didn't have an obsessive compulsive disorder this project would NEVER have been completed! Once all that was possible to be removed was removed and my paper floor completed. I used aluminum strips as base shoe to complete the floor project.
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	200529

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	372.0 KB
ID:	200530
911Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Simpsonville , South Carolina
Carpet Removal

911Patriot how are the alum. strips attached around edges ? Looks like neat job. I'm like you all those carpet fiber strains giving me fits.
sctinman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marco Island , Florida
Aluminum base shoe moulding strip

I used 2-sided industrial adhesion tape to adhere the aluminum strips. The tape was exactly the same size width as the strip so no trimming was necessary. I got the aluminum strips at a Midwest home improvement store. I'll bet they have them at all of the big stores.
I'm ALMOST over my nightmares on the carpet removal.
911Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote