Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 06:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Blue Print for Gaucho

Hello:

I have a 1979 Safari 23'.
I have remove the two existing Gauchos that came with the trailer.
They were the metal frame that left an ugly space behind them there the mechanism needed room to convert the sofas into beds.

I had a 1963 Safari 22' that had a wooden gaucho and I would like to build the wood type like the one that came with 1963 to replace one of the gauchos and using the other space from the other gaucho across the galley to build a dinette/bed next to a window on the curb/door side, on top the wheel fender.

Can anyone provide me with some blue prints to help with this project?

Many thanks,
Rupert
RupertJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Don't know of any blueprints or plans for the gauchos. From what I've found the trailers dimensions vary enough to make a set plan act only as a guide anyway.

I'm assuming you are planing to built the new couch/gaucho for the front of the trailer. As a DYI project, unless you are going full custom upholstery, I would suggest determining what stock size mattress or cushions you want first and building the frame to fit.

I'd use the existing frame as a guide to fabricate the new base. Use veneer plywood for the lower doors like you had on the '63. You'll probably need arms or bolsters on the side cut to fit the front curves.

Vintage Trailer Supply has the slides for the pull out section and a wood workers store like Rockler should have the hardware.

Good luck.
Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:16 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Gaucho Blue print

Thanks Tom:

I cannot use the pattern from the gaucho that came out of 79 Safari because they are metal framing hat hinges the back similar to what a sofa/bed you buy for your home.
These gauchos are original from Airstream, but I do not like them and I rather build one made out of wood.
The other gaucho location will be a dinette that coverts into a bed located by a side window.

Greetings,

Rupert
Old 08-31-2016, 07:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
I understand. I based my comments on what I remember from rebuilding the gaucho on my ‘67 Globetrotter.
I guessed the remaining aluminum framed gaucho in my Tradewind was similar to yours, in that, the slides are four, two piece channels that nest together with plastic stops to limit the travel. The ends rest on the face frame. Apparently I was incorrect. They stopped using that style in '78

In any event the width and depth of the frame will depend on the cushions. The height of the box frame, front and rear, will depend a comfortable seating position for you. For example the height of the front frame on mine is 17 inches allowing for a 4-inch cushion. This lets my wife's feet touch the floor. The shelf under the window could be a problem depending on how the framing is set.

Here are pics of the seats I built for the dinette. The backrest fits behind the edge of the shelf. The seat bottoms on these are fixed but the solid cross members (note the screw heads) could be changed out for slides with the overlapping layers of plywood like on the ’60 trailers.

Hope this helps,
Tom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinnette 1.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	270475   Click image for larger version

Name:	dinnette 2.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	270476  

Old 08-31-2016, 08:49 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Marion , New York
The Vintage Airstream website has a "How To" article on building a Gaucho bed. There are pictures and plans. (vintageairstream.com) It might be what you are looking for.
DremStremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

beaumont , Texas
Really nice job on your sofa bench seat..I need to build this exact one for mine..
Dixie722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:57 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
Awesome looking dinette Tom - do you have any drawings/plans you could share?
Greg
Greg1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Hi Tom:

Thanks to you and everyone else that has answer my thread. Every bit of info will help me on my project, keep them coming.

Just like Greg's request, I would also appreciate it if you do have any drawing/plans for the dinette that you could share.

Sincere thanks,

Rupert
Old 09-01-2016, 06:06 PM   #9
Life long Airstreamer

1966 24' Tradewind
Lewiston , Idaho
I have drawings for the front Gaucho and side Gaucho if you still need them.
korgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Springfield , Missouri
Gaucho plans

Korgen, thank you!

I'm rebuilding exactly the same model--a 24 foot 1966 Trade Wind--and would like to consider the gaucho plans; I'm also considering the convertible dinette in front and the gaucho on the side. Thanks!

Joe
jmiranti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
When we got the trailer the front couch was loose with no back and had an old over-sized futon mattress laid over it. We like the front dinette layout better than the couch and wall mounted pull out table.

I've had 3 Vintage trailers and none of them had even measurements side to side and fore to aft. The front window on the Tradewind is almost ½ inch off to the curbside.
I didn't really make any plans, I just laid pieces out on the floor. The only critical dimensions were to make sure the benches were parallel so the table would fit snugly when dropped down, and, the bench height and depth were set so the wife could sit comfortably.

I measured the benches tonight and got a height of the face frames at 13 inches. Add in the 4 inch foam cushion and it's 17 overall. The depth of the seat to the backrest frame is 22 inches. The backrest is 17 inches tall. The length of the benches on the opposite sides of the table is 48 inches. The street side fill in bench to the counter is another 30 inches. The shelves are 7 inches wide tapering and scribed to the wall. The table is 48 by 32 inches.
The face frames are Hickory and ¼ inch Hickory veneer plywood. Other frame pieces are pine. Seats are ½ inch A/C ply and the backs are ¼ inch.

That's about it. Nothing unusual and easy to build. Although making your own tambour sucks.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dinnette 01.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	324.2 KB
ID:	270570   Click image for larger version

Name:	dinnette 02.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	270571  

Name:	dinnette 03.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	282.1 KB
ID:	270572  

Old 09-02-2016, 12:38 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Hi Korgen
Could I please get your plans for both Gauchos?

Many thanks,
Rupert
Old 09-02-2016, 12:40 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Hi Tom:

Thanks again for all the info and the bother to take measurements for me.

Sincerely,
Rupert
Old 09-02-2016, 05:40 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
Thank you Tom for taking the time to provide the info.
Greg
Greg1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:29 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

beaumont , Texas
Making your own tambours is really impressive. No wonder your dinette looks so good. Thanks for the help. I am sure a lot of us are going to try this. Hope mine turns out as well.
Dixie722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 01:37 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Ludington , Michigan
Gaucho 65 overlander

My over lander was missing the Gaucho when I purchased it. These discussion's have been very helpful.
One think I don't have a clue about is the travel or length of the slides I will need and how many. i think they are called
Walters Wabash sliding supports which spread out to different lengths. my wife does upholstery on bats cushions etc. so I believe we can figure out the cushions although dimensions for them also would be helpful. my Overlander came with the single bed in back which I guess would be considered a gaucho and the Gaucho in front. i really like this set up better then the twin beds in back.
Any help would be appreciated !
Thanks
Tim 65
Tim 65 is offline   Reply With Quote