Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2008, 05:24 AM   #1

1969 23' Safari
Fredericksburg , Virginia
Bathroom refurbish

Good day. I have a 1969 Safari and the bathroom tub and sink area are quite stained and worn. Is there a paint or resurfacing treatment out there I can utilize to refurbish? It is light yellow originally and I would like to either clean it up or resurface with some type of water resistant paint (white). I have seen some articles with folks having similar circumstances, but was wondering what the best product is on the market.
dbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hi dbalch and welcome to the Forums. You have arrived at the best place to find out about all things Airstream.

There is a good "Search" function on this website, but if you're not familiar with web forum searches then it might seem a bit complicated at first. You should look at the blue bar toward the top of the screen, and find the "Search" button. You'll get a drop-down menu, and you should pick the first "Advanced Search" option you have, which is a forum search (there are other searches for photos and blogs, but in this case you really want to do a forum search). Then, in the top left of the search box, enter something like "resurface" or "resurfacing" as the key word, and at first search for thread titles only. If that doesn't turn up anything, then you may choose to look through the text of messages as well, but that will most likely turn up a LOT of information. Also, toward the bottom right of the search box, you can specify which sub-forums you want to search. In this case, I'd select all of the interior remodeling sub-forums.

To help you out, I have done the above, and turned up this thread that discusses a lot of what you might be interested in. Good luck!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...rts-12563.html

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbalch View Post
Is there a paint or resurfacing treatment out there I can utilize to refurbish?
I plan on using Tubby to refinish the bath fixtures in my '63 GT. It is available in 8 colors including white and comes with all the equipment necessary to apply. Of course the important part - the surface prep - is up to you.

Good luck... and welcome to Airforums.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Horton Bay , Michigan
I'm getting ready to spray mine with Interlux Brightside One-Part Polyurethane with teflon. Prep is the key to any paint job. I'm sanding with 400 and 600 grit wet sand. Clean with Interlux Thinner 216. I will let you know the outcome...... Hopefully be done this weekend.
UpNorthAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Concord , North Carolina
There's a product and I can't for the life of me remember the name but they carry it at lowes and homedepot. You can get it for ABS and porcelian. You want the ABS kind. I did mine and it was amazing to see all the sress and age disappear from it. IT looks just like it did in 1972. I wish I had a camera to show you but trust I looked at everything and talked to a ton of people before I tried it. I even used a brush (high quality) and there are no brush marks. It's self leveling and can be tinted. If they give you a hassle just buy the tint in a separate can and take it home and mix it like I did. I got the same color that it was in 1972. I hope this helps.
solitairenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...air-38434.html
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote