Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2016, 09:08 PM   #1
Tampatomgirl

1990 34' Excella
Zephyrhills , Florida
'73 v '90

In a very short time I've ended up with a '90 Excella 34' & a '73 Sovereign '31. I purchased them both for renovation & sale. They are both in very good original condition. I need to sell one & put the profits into the other. I'm thinking it would be best to do a minimal reno on the '90, flip it & invest the money in the '73. I could becwrong. I can't afford to do a complete reno on both of them.

Thoughts???
Tampatomgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The 73 does not have a gray water tank. It will cost a lot to put one in , but the trailer would have very little utility without one in the east. I have a 89 34 footer. It is a nice trailer and offers a lot of potential for a person with the time to use it. Flipping the 73 31 footer will pose some problems.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:05 AM   #3
Tampatomgirl

1990 34' Excella
Zephyrhills , Florida
Gray water tanks cost $200. My question is which trailer would have the better value after a thorough renovation? I've seen several of the '73 Sovereigns nicely renovated, but no '90 models and I think the shorter trailers seem to be more in demand. Not to mention the shine you can accomplish on the older trailers. Seems to me it would make sense to invest in the older trailer. I'm seeking advice from experienced people. Are you trying to move your '89?
Old 07-03-2016, 08:56 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Atlanta , Georgia
31' is less than 34' but shorter AS getting top price are even shorter than 31'. I really haven't noticed that much difference in price between comparable 31' and 34'. 34' usually requires a stouter tow vehicle whereas 70's 31' Sovereigns are within reach of many SUVs. So there's that flexibility. If you want to put the time in it, I'd say rehab the 31' and put a mirror shine on it. BTW, putting in gray tank isn't just a tank. You have to put sensors and maybe put a hole in the roof for the vent.
Chae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:41 AM   #5
Tampatomgirl

1990 34' Excella
Zephyrhills , Florida
Thanks for the info!