Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2003, 11:04 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
'67 Overlander: convert to twin beds

I just acquired a 1967 Overlander with double bed/closet instead of twin beds. Due to family considerations, I'm considering switching over to two twin beds instead of the current configuration. At issue is the bathroom door: Is it shifted street side a bit in models that came with twin beds?

I've been looking at the photos everyone has been kind enough to post, and can't decide if twin beds are doable in my trailer. Also, does anyone have photos of how the twin bed is constructed? Is it just a narrower version of the double bed?

Thanks
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 11:17 AM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Door location

The doorway in the twin configuration is in the center.

The mattresses are simply rectangular and are positioned slightly in each doorway, about 3 to four inches.

I hope this helps and welcome to the forum.
Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 11:32 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

I am in a similar situation, however my rear bedroom is bare.
I would like to purchase (2) matresses with a curve profile on 1 corner, and in order to flip over the matresses, they would have to be the same width. [For example, the right side mattress when flipped would then become the left side mattress] The length of each mattress would remain 74 inches long. Ideally each mattress would then have to be 36 inches wide. The right side mattress would extend the full width of the bathroom partition, where as the left side mattress would extend into my aisle about 9 inches.
I think that the difficulty lies in obtaining correct mattresses first, then building the bed frame.
Anyone know where I can get the above mattresses without spending $1,200.00 for Bear Beds?
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 11:41 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I bet if you take your dimensions to a local mattress company they will make them for you with a minor custom charge over the regular price of the same basic size.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 12:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Personnaly I'm going to check with the local mattress company and see how expensive it will be.
Check out this Thread on Mattress's It has some links to companies that will make Foam matress to your deminsion. The rounded Airstream corner is a stock shape with several companies..

Also do a Search (Top Right Corner) on Mattress's and there maybe a few other companies not listed in that thread.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 05:52 PM   #6
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I'm not sure if you have a Beds Direct in your neck of the woods, but I highly recommend them. We had custom mattresses made and are they ever comfortable. Although our twin beds are in the center in our rear bath model, I asked if they could make a rounded corner mattress to fit a particular radius and they said they could. It took them a little over a week to make our mattresses and the cost was appr. $150 each.

When out camping and travelling, I insist on a good night's sleep and these mattresses do the trick. Good luck.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 07:24 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Exchanging My Twins

I just picked up the interior from a 68 overlander this weekend, actually it is still in my truck. I plan on using it as a pattern to build the full bed/desk closet combination. When I pull the twins out I will have no problem selling them. It should be within a month or so. Anyone that is interested please contact me.
66whitebread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 11:13 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Last summer we pulled out the closet on our 1971 Overlander and put the gaucho couch that was in the front of our coach where the closet was. We bought a jackknife couch fom a 1961 Airstream Sovereign to replace the front couch, and are in the process of getting it recovered. The front gaucho fit exactly into the side.
riverdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote