Old 11-25-2016, 01:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
monmouth , Maine
1975 Land Yacht rebuild

Hey folks, My name is Jim and I live in Central Maine. last Fall my wife and I were looking to get back into camping and ended up buying a run down 1975 Land Yacht Sovereign. The previous owner had started a renovation and gave up. We hauled it home, excited to start the renovation. Excitement quickly turned to despair when we got home and discovered not only was the floor rotted, but the main frame was so rusted that it had broken in two on our way home. I began the tear down and quickly realized there was nothing salvageable. Everything had to go. It was either rotted, moldy or soaked in mouse urine.... So with that in mind, We started. I ripped out the interior skin which was covered in 9 different colors of 70s carpeting... yes NINE! Including thick shag carpet along the center of the trailer ceiling. YUCK! Next came the tear out of the mouse infested insulation in the walls and the rotted floor. With the plywood floor removed, I discovered that most of the outriggers and cross members from the wheels forward were completely rotted. I had a local metal shop make me some 12 gauge C-channel and made my own cross members and outriggers and patched the frame where it had broken. Next came new Roxul insulation in the floor followed by new 3/4" exterior grade plywood.
Once I had a solid floor, I started tearing out all the old plumbing and electrical. I didnt like the rear bath with side twins so I decided to re-engineer the layout and put a rear bedroom with a queen bed and relocated the bath to the side of the trailer. After running the new wiring(110 and 12v) as well as new drains and Pex tubing for the water lines, the main walls and cabinetry came next.
Being a carpenter by trade, I like the look of wood and we wanted to have a cabin feel to the interior. All the interior skin and walls are Birch plywood with a clear semi gloss polyurethane with stained maple slats to cover the seams.
We now needed a name.... cause thats what you do when you have an Airstream We were trying to come up with something that tied in Maine, the cabin feel and Airstream. I stumbled on an old keychain we had hanging that was a little silver moose and it hit me! The Silver Moose!! It was a perfect fit. Hope you like my build video.... I'll try to post pics of the outside when I attempt to polish it in the Spring.

Bikerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to trhe forums!

Nice work! How long did this little project take?

Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:19 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
monmouth , Maine
It took about 6 months of nights and weekends after work
Old 11-25-2016, 08:49 PM   #4
Continents Collide

1985 32' Excella
Spring , Texas
That's a remarkable turnaround for 6 months while working. Looks great!
continentsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:25 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
NICE!
What's the silver slot at 1:06? I cannot get a perspective on that....
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
I am completely blown away.👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerjim View Post
Hey folks, My name is Jim and I live in Central Maine. last Fall my wife and I were looking to get back into camping and ended up buying a run down 1975 Land Yacht Sovereign. The previous owner had started a renovation and gave up. We hauled it home, excited to start the renovation. Excitement quickly turned to despair when we got home and discovered not only was the floor rotted, but the main frame was so rusted that it had broken in two on our way home. I began the tear down and quickly realized there was nothing salvageable. Everything had to go. It was either rotted, moldy or soaked in mouse urine.... So with that in mind, We started. I ripped out the interior skin which was covered in 9 different colors of 70s carpeting... yes NINE! Including thick shag carpet along the center of the trailer ceiling. YUCK! Next came the tear out of the mouse infested insulation in the walls and the rotted floor. With the plywood floor removed, I discovered that most of the outriggers and cross members from the wheels forward were completely rotted. I had a local metal shop make me some 12 gauge C-channel and made my own cross members and outriggers and patched the frame where it had broken. Next came new Roxul insulation in the floor followed by new 3/4" exterior grade plywood.
Once I had a solid floor, I started tearing out all the old plumbing and electrical. I didnt like the rear bath with side twins so I decided to re-engineer the layout and put a rear bedroom with a queen bed and relocated the bath to the side of the trailer. After running the new wiring(110 and 12v) as well as new drains and Pex tubing for the water lines, the main walls and cabinetry came next.
Being a carpenter by trade, I like the look of wood and we wanted to have a cabin feel to the interior. All the interior skin and walls are Birch plywood with a clear semi gloss polyurethane with stained maple slats to cover the seams.
We now needed a name.... cause thats what you do when you have an Airstream We were trying to come up with something that tied in Maine, the cabin feel and Airstream. I stumbled on an old keychain we had hanging that was a little silver moose and it hit me! The Silver Moose!! It was a perfect fit. Hope you like my build video.... I'll try to post pics of the outside when I attempt to polish it in the Spring.

Nice work! Curious where the leaks were ? Did you pull out the vista windows to re-seal? I've got a pesky roof leak somewhere and can't locate it ... I need to pull vista windows to remove all the gunk anyways ...
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Laie , Hawaii
Absolutely beautiful! Looks like it should have taken years. What is the material you used for the countertop?
This should give hope to many who are stuck in a 'forever' restoration project.
How about some more images of your new side bath too?
Sharkboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
SO impressive!

I hope to run into someday and see your masterpiece in person. Congrats!
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
Wow! Seriously looks fantastic, I hope you get many many great adventures out of The Silver Moose!
Old 11-26-2016, 12:49 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Wow, beautiful. Looks like you need to go into restoring Airstreams full time.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 01:34 PM   #12
LaPorte214

2014 27' FB International
Peoria , Arizona
Very impressive!!
LaPorte214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 01:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Good Lord! That is some really impressive work - and just 6 months part time?!?! Man - I really admire your skills especially as I have so few of my own for such tasks! Wow! Stunner!

We had a Buddy Rally once with the New England Unit and it included a tour of everyone's trailers. Yours would have been a blast to see live! Happy trails to the Silver Moose! Hope to see you on the road someday!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #14
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Jim
Very Impressive. Did you overlay the wood on the walls on top of the interior aluminum or directly to the ribs? The reason I ask is the strength effect of the riveted interior with or with out the aluminum in the long run. I have had and seen aluminum trailers with out the interior skin develop 45 degree cracks around door and window corners, but usually on the longer trailers. Please let us know later how your project holds up under extended road use. It would certainly be lighter w/o the interior aluminum. What thickness was the plywood? I am thinking about eventually replacing the OEM mouse fur in my Classic.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:13 PM   #15
Camping Through My Eyes

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Detroit , Michigan
Absolutely stunning.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:29 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Wow, nice work! I can't believe you did all that in just 6 months! Also what kind of dog is the white one? That's a cute dog. I also wonder what that oval metal slot is?
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
You are a true craftsman - very nice!
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If you are interested I have a complete 631 page original (not a photocopy) 1975 SERVICE manual (not an owners manual) Send me a PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:09 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
monmouth , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpeltier View Post
NICE!
What's the silver slot at 1:06? I cannot get a perspective on that....
Its a skylight in the shower where the refrigerator vent used to be
Old 11-27-2016, 03:13 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
monmouth , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustlee View Post
Wow, nice work! I can't believe you did all that in just 6 months! Also what kind of dog is the white one? That's a cute dog. I also wonder what that oval metal slot is?
Thanks.... Bauer is a Pomimo (Pomeranian/American Eskimo) The oval slot is a skylight in the shower where the refrigerator vent used to be