Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2021, 09:01 PM   #121
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Hudson , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aopsahl7 View Post
Lined up the Power/Solar systems. This is my current build. Thoughts?
My opinion would be that it looks like it may be overkill for 2 TV's and not enough to run an AC for very long. Sort of in the middle. Depends on what you're looking to get out of it I guess. The only things I could see inverting for would be a microwave (<1000W), TV's(<100W) or office equipment. Maybe also limited use of heated things as well (coffee, hairdryer etc.).

I know the inverter and lithium is what is really kicking up the price here. May be worth looking at a comparable 2000 KVA inverters and a progressive/boondocker converters @ bestconverter. I have seen people using both gopower and zamp solar but haven't looking into it a lot, most of my camping is in the Northeast and we are always in the woods.
air_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:10 PM   #122
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Hudson , New Hampshire
Quote:
All vista and side vista's are out.

But the smaller passenger side vista window got scratched up pretty badly (It was my fault as I was several beers deep and ran the edge of the mulitool oscillating blade against the glass). I have called every glass shop in denver to see if they can buff and repair out, but no one wants the job. Any ideas?
I've tried Cerium Oxide (i think that is what it is called, it's orange powder you mix with water) to polish the glass. I'll tell you that I spent a good chunk of time doing it and didn't really get much of a result. I think it works better on "non-tempered" glass. The process does heat the glass which is sort of sketchy. You may just want to consider yourself lucky you didn't shatter it with the multitool. It doesn't surprise me nobody want to touch it.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:35 AM   #123
3 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by air_boy View Post
My opinion would be that it looks like it may be overkill for 2 TV's and not enough to run an AC for very long. Sort of in the middle. Depends on what you're looking to get out of it I guess. The only things I could see inverting for would be a microwave (&lt;1000W), TV's(&lt;100W) or office equipment. Maybe also limited use of heated things as well (coffee, hairdryer etc.).

I know the inverter and lithium is what is really kicking up the price here. May be worth looking at a comparable 2000 KVA inverters and a progressive/boondocker converters @ bestconverter. I have seen people using both gopower and zamp solar but haven't looking into it a lot, most of my camping is in the Northeast and we are always in the woods.

I will check these out. I have already made a few tweaks. First, the Zamp panels are wildly overpriced. Moving to Renogy for about half the cost.

In regards to the rest of the equipment I am trying to stay all Victron for consistency. Plus I really like the digital management and control screen from them.

Denver, CO
Aopsahl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:36 AM   #124
3 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by air_boy View Post
I've tried Cerium Oxide (i think that is what it is called, it's orange powder you mix with water) to polish the glass. I'll tell you that I spent a good chunk of time doing it and didn't really get much of a result. I think it works better on "non-tempered" glass. The process does heat the glass which is sort of sketchy. You may just want to consider yourself lucky you didn't shatter it with the multitool. It doesn't surprise me nobody want to touch it.

Well... sounds like I either live with it or order a $350 piece of glass. Damn.

Denver, CO
Old 04-10-2021, 01:26 PM   #125
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Well... sounds like I either live with it or order a $350 piece of glass. Damn.
Repairing a small piece of tempered glass is practically a non-starter for most places. Is it the inner or outer pane? I hate to recommend plastic, but for a tiny window in that particular location, it might be OK. And it would be vastly cheaper. There's a place in Louisville called Colorado Plastics that you should check out. On a side note, CO Plastics must be doing VERY well these days, considering everyone on the planet has installed a Covid sneeze guard in their business.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:09 PM   #126
3 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
Repairing a small piece of tempered glass is practically a non-starter for most places. Is it the inner or outer pane? I hate to recommend plastic, but for a tiny window in that particular location, it might be OK. And it would be vastly cheaper. There's a place in Louisville called Colorado Plastics that you should check out. On a side note, CO Plastics must be doing VERY well these days, considering everyone on the planet has installed a Covid sneeze guard in their business.

I’ll check them out!

Denver, CO
Old 04-14-2021, 11:22 PM   #127
3 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
I’ll check them out!

Still going at the windows. This is no joke!!!

Denver, CO
Old 04-17-2021, 04:00 PM   #128
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Hudson , New Hampshire
Quote:
Still going at the windows. This is no joke!!!

No kidding. Doing the weatherstripping I found that 3m bristle discs helped speed the process of stripping the old adhesive. I always feel like things are faster if I can use tools!
Old 04-17-2021, 06:48 PM   #129
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
We found a chemical attack on the old window gasket adhesive works pretty well too.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:25 PM   #130
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I found the Good Off in the (large) aeresol cans worked for me. The gummy debris only stays soft so long after you spray it. Dental picks, Dremel tool, aluminum brushes, toothbrushes and plastic scrapers helped. Our 4 foot plastic tables covered in plastic and a piece of cardboard helped keep things clean. The best part was a rolling office stool to work my way around the table continuously. There are so many grooves and channels and ridges that we averaged 8 hours per window off and on over time.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:07 PM   #131
3 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
I found the Good Off in the (large) aeresol cans worked for me. The gummy debris only stays soft so long after you spray it. Dental picks, Dremel tool, aluminum brushes, toothbrushes and plastic scrapers helped. Our 4 foot plastic tables covered in plastic and a piece of cardboard helped keep things clean. The best part was a rolling office stool to work my way around the table continuously. There are so many grooves and channels and ridges that we averaged 8 hours per window off and on over time.

Bingo! Goo Gone/Goof Off is working well. But yes I bet I will be 6-8 hours per window.

Denver, CO
Old 04-20-2021, 09:46 AM   #132
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
I worked on the window and door seals of my '72 overlander last summer. I had orange oil (bought by the litre and somewhat expensive but a little goes a long way), what I think is a chisel set with interchangeable blades, and a sanding block to polish the cleaned surface. I took each window off and cleaned the frame and then resealed each window. The thing is, it only took 1 to 1 1/2 hours each. Maybe the orange oil is a better agent to take the old tape and adhesive off.
CC
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:14 PM   #133
3 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Crazy View Post
I worked on the window and door seals of my '72 overlander last summer. I had orange oil (bought by the litre and somewhat expensive but a little goes a long way), what I think is a chisel set with interchangeable blades, and a sanding block to polish the cleaned surface. I took each window off and cleaned the frame and then resealed each window. The thing is, it only took 1 to 1 1/2 hours each. Maybe the orange oil is a better agent to take the old tape and adhesive off.
CC

Finally getting there. Tint tomorrow.

Denver, CO
Old 04-21-2021, 07:47 AM   #134
3 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by aopsahl7 View Post
finally getting there. Tint tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0586.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	525.6 KB
ID:	393713

Denver, CO
Old 04-21-2021, 06:45 PM   #135
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Just think, if you had purchased a Globe Trotter instead, you would have many less windows. Another great idea: My Airstream friend came over and did all the windows and cargo doors on my Globe Trotter project. That was easier yet on me.

Cleaning up the sealing surfaces on these old windows is a tedious job. And your tinting job will be much better than my stick on stuff.

Hey, the windows are behind you now. On to the next big thing.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:44 AM   #136
G-Ranch

1970 25' Tradewind
Smyrna , Georgia
Window seal

Quote:
Question. Where were you able to find the perimeter rubber window seal material? I looking for the black rubber (K shaped) seal? Specifically that mounts to the aluminum window frame.

Thanks
G-Ranch.
G-Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:33 AM   #137
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
GRanch take a look at Vintage Trailer Gaskets. He has quite a few different styles and lots of images and instructions.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:17 PM   #138
3 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
400watts of Renogy Solar is on the roof. Relatively easy install. Not my favorite brackets but they will do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	128D9830-923B-4799-99AD-9EBC990D6F72.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	548.7 KB
ID:	394058

Denver, CO
Old 04-24-2021, 10:24 PM   #139
3 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Spent a lot of time figuring this out. I decided on relying on LTE service for movies/streaming TV over satellite. Eventually I believe we will be using Starlink but for now this will do. I ended up with a high gain system from Wilson. The Omni directional antennas are OK but limited due to FCC regulations as they can be used while moving. Doesn’t make sense to me but oh well. So I went for the high Gain directional antenna and system from Wilson. After hours of browsing I found nothing for a retractable roof mount. Seems like everyone puts them on a stand alone pole. I hate that. So I put together a system based using mostly Shakespeare equipment that I am going to center mount behind the AC unit. Should be solid. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0606.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	614.0 KB
ID:	394059

Denver, CO
Old 04-25-2021, 11:12 AM   #140
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Man... I've gotta get down there before you finish!!!

Weekends are tougher than weekdays for me, but hopefully I can make it happen soon.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote