Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2021, 07:27 AM   #81
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I just finished installing a MaxAir vent fan in the 69 Globe Trotter 21'. The old fan had a broken blade, and wasn't very effective. I must say the Max Air is a well designed piece. It has a "variable fan speed" control, it runs in reverse creating a "ceiling fan" experience, it has a tinted plastic cover that allows some light in, but not Colorado glaring sun, and it has a permanent rain shield so if you leave the vent open, you don't get wet.

I had to enlarge the opening a bit so it would fit, and I had to make a "picture frame" between the exterior skins and interior skins for the mounting screws to attach to. Thin Airstream aluminum on the roof would not adequately support the MaxAir in my judgement.

The Fantastic Fans are along the same line, but I don't have experience with them. My friend helped me install the MaxAir and he wants one or two for his Sovereign.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:55 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aopsahl7 View Post
Talk to me about your ideas for the off road airstream.. I am all ears!
I've got a 31' Excella from which someone removed the middle (to repair another trailer). So if I put the front and back end together, I've essentially got a Bambi with all dual pane windows. I've been watching progress from a couple forum members who have installed Timbren axle-less suspension systems. Basically, you set up a trailer with four wheels and no axles, and each wheel has it's own suspension. It's a pretty cool system, and the guys who installed them are using them on 31' trailers, so a 17 foot "Bambi" shouldn't be a problem.

I already pull my 25' Landyacht with a diesel Jeep KJ 4x4, and I've been in some pretty crazy places, but with another 8 feet shaved off, no axles to hinder clearance, and four wheel independent suspension, I should be able to really take advantage of this cool place in which we live.

I have already been implementing systems and ideas that make four season boondocking much easier, so those will obviously be implemented: much better insulation with thermal barriers on all ribs, all mechanicals and lines grouped together for easier "freeze proofing" in winter, tanks set up to allow for four season use, an elevated sleeping platform to allow for space below for dogs and storage as well as an isolated area that is easier to heat/cool in extreme situations, and so on.

I plan on using Coosa or hopefaully sourcing the material that Airstream is now using for subfloors (depending on how well it works in the field), and building out the underside to be tougher than typical (reinforcement, undercoating, not housing items that are fragile, etc.).

This trailer will also be quite a bit lighter than stock Airstreams.

My goal is to have a short, custom Airstream that looks really cool going down the road, but can also access spaces that a "regular" Airstream can't go.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:02 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
The Fantastic Fans are along the same line, but I don't have experience with them. My friend helped me install the MaxAir and he wants one or two for his Sovereign.
I can confirm that with a little bit of modification, you can install a Fantastic Fan in an existing Airstream roof vent (the original vent). I have an "office" in my yard (the middle portion of a 31' Excella) that utilizes a Fantastic Fan in the original Airstream vent housing.

I have also been experimenting with various high capacity 12v computer fan set ups instead of a Fantastic Fan. They don't move as much air, but as such, they are much quieter. It becomes an issue of configuration to maximize airflow (multiple points of entry) and preventing water ingress.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:53 PM   #84
3 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
I've got a 31' Excella from which someone removed the middle (to repair another trailer). So if I put the front and back end together, I've essentially got a Bambi with all dual pane windows. I've been watching progress from a couple forum members who have installed Timbren axle-less suspension systems. Basically, you set up a trailer with four wheels and no axles, and each wheel has it's own suspension. It's a pretty cool system, and the guys who installed them are using them on 31' trailers, so a 17 foot "Bambi" shouldn't be a problem.

I already pull my 25' Landyacht with a diesel Jeep KJ 4x4, and I've been in some pretty crazy places, but with another 8 feet shaved off, no axles to hinder clearance, and four wheel independent suspension, I should be able to really take advantage of this cool place in which we live.

I have already been implementing systems and ideas that make four season boondocking much easier, so those will obviously be implemented: much better insulation with thermal barriers on all ribs, all mechanicals and lines grouped together for easier "freeze proofing" in winter, tanks set up to allow for four season use, an elevated sleeping platform to allow for space below for dogs and storage as well as an isolated area that is easier to heat/cool in extreme situations, and so on.

I plan on using Coosa or hopefaully sourcing the material that Airstream is now using for subfloors (depending on how well it works in the field), and building out the underside to be tougher than typical (reinforcement, undercoating, not housing items that are fragile, etc.).

This trailer will also be quite a bit lighter than stock Airstreams.

My goal is to have a short, custom Airstream that looks really cool going down the road, but can also access spaces that a "regular" Airstream can't go.

That sounds awesome.

I am pretty happy with the height. It’s big but so is the ground clearance.

I am taking a similar approach with making it a true 4 season trailer as well as off grid!

Denver, CO
Aopsahl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:54 PM   #85
3 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
I can confirm that with a little bit of modification, you can install a Fantastic Fan in an existing Airstream roof vent (the original vent). I have an "office" in my yard (the middle portion of a 31' Excella) that utilizes a Fantastic Fan in the original Airstream vent housing.

I have also been experimenting with various high capacity 12v computer fan set ups instead of a Fantastic Fan. They don't move as much air, but as such, they are much quieter. It becomes an issue of configuration to maximize airflow (multiple points of entry) and preventing water ingress.

I would have done the Maxxair but they are about 3X the price and I really just want the basic functionality of exhausting hot air when needed. I don’t see myself running the fans when it’s raining as I could always keep the big side windows open. We shall see!

Denver, CO
Old 03-30-2021, 02:04 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
I would have done the Maxxair but they are about 3X the price and I really just want the basic functionality of exhausting hot air when needed. I don’t see myself running the fans when it’s raining as I could always keep the big side windows open. We shall see!
You never need a fan in the rain... until you do. I have gone back and forth on this issue a lot. Mostly, I just don't like littering the top of the rig with all kinds of garbage that sticks up and takes away from the lines.

My land yacht has vent lids that tilt, but my Argosy has vent lids that lift uniformly (at all four corners)... if it's a gentle rain you can get away with keeping the non-tilting ones open.

I'm actually more for figuring out how to put fans in windows for cross-breeze. Any holes in the roof are mostly good for leaks.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:22 PM   #87
3 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
You never need a fan in the rain... until you do. I have gone back and forth on this issue a lot. Mostly, I just don't like littering the top of the rig with all kinds of garbage that sticks up and takes away from the lines.

My land yacht has vent lids that tilt, but my Argosy has vent lids that lift uniformly (at all four corners)... if it's a gentle rain you can get away with keeping the non-tilting ones open.

I'm actually more for figuring out how to put fans in windows for cross-breeze. Any holes in the roof are mostly good for leaks.

Makes sense. I had Fantastic Fans on our old 21’ Winnebago and it rained a few times when we needed the fans. I just raised the vent enough to let the air out and it worked. Definitely can’t run them on the high setting but it moved enough air to be comfortable.

Completely agree on cross flow. Would be cool to have a powered side vent but again seems like overkill. My feeling is if it’s too hot have another beer .

Denver, CO
Old 03-30-2021, 10:34 PM   #88
3 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Drilled out the rivers in all three roof vents. Had to do it from the interior which was challenging. Plus drilling over your head a good 50+ rivets is not fun. But it is done.

Tomorrow I will remove the old roof vents and get ready to install the fantastic fans and skylight.

Denver, CO
Old 03-31-2021, 10:56 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Tomorrow I will remove the old roof vents and get ready to install the fantastic fans and skylight.
I assume you're saving everything, but I'd be interested in those old vents if you're just recycling them.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:04 AM   #90
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
I need a 50x50 shop ha ha. But for now my project progress is based on the weather!

Yeah, well, I have one (or should say that my nephew graciously lets me use his). Sometimes I think I might be further along on my project, if working outdoors imparts any sense of urgency.
Slats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:20 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
Sometimes I think I might be further along on my project, if working outdoors imparts any sense of urgency.
In the midwest it does (it's gonna rain!).

In CO it doesn't. If it isn't sunny today, it will be tomorrow!
Old 03-31-2021, 01:18 PM   #92
3 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
I assume you're saving everything, but I'd be interested in those old vents if you're just recycling them.

All yours! DM me.

Denver, CO
Old 03-31-2021, 06:16 PM   #93
3 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
In the midwest it does (it's gonna rain!).

In CO it doesn't. If it isn't sunny today, it will be tomorrow!

CO weather has a mind of its own and I love it. I schedule my work around the next days weather.

Denver, CO
Old 03-31-2021, 09:29 PM   #94
3 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Grabbed some pictures after getting the stairs back on.

I was in a bit of a rush on the year down that I realize I am missing some critical stair parts. Currently I have the stairs you see in the picture with the 4 bolts on. It’s actually functional in the down position but it obviously doesn’t stay up as I am missing the levers etc. Any ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0381.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	554.9 KB
ID:	392118

Name:	IMG_0380.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	493.2 KB
ID:	392119

Name:	IMG_0379.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	441.3 KB
ID:	392120

Denver, CO
Old 04-01-2021, 06:11 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
I was in a bit of a rush on the year down that I realize I am missing some critical stair parts. Currently I have the stairs you see in the picture with the 4 bolts on. It’s actually functional in the down position but it obviously doesn’t stay up as I am missing the levers etc. Any ideas?
I can take a look at what's missing when I come down there and we can compare it to mine and figure out how to replace what's needed.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:16 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Those folding aluminum stairs are neat, but kind of a pain. A replacement is maybe $850. I believe there are three kinds of bolts that hold the various joints together, and they are expensive too. I think we paid maybe $25 for each bolt.

Out of Doors Mart has step parts, for a price of course.

We could not get the up position retention mechanism to work right when we reassembled the stairs. So we just made a simple latch that holds the stairs up from the outside.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1912 Step Outriggers Positioned-800x600.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	392171   Click image for larger version

Name:	1910 Steps Out Front-800x600.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	392172  

Name:	1912 Step Link Bolt Parts-800x600.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	392173  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:42 PM   #97
3 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
I can take a look at what's missing when I come down there and we can compare it to mine and figure out how to replace what's needed.

Very nice.

Denver, CO
Old 04-01-2021, 11:43 PM   #98
3 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Those folding aluminum stairs are neat, but kind of a pain. A replacement is maybe $850. I believe there are three kinds of bolts that hold the various joints together, and they are expensive too. I think we paid maybe $25 for each bolt.

Out of Doors Mart has step parts, for a price of course.

We could not get the up position retention mechanism to work right when we reassembled the stairs. So we just made a simple latch that holds the stairs up from the outside.

David

I’ll look on out of doors and see what they have. I don’t even know what I am missing.

Denver, CO
Old 04-02-2021, 06:09 PM   #99
3 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Started working on the roof. 1 fantastic fan in and 2 patches from the old TV antenna and plumbing vent.

Whoever thought roofing tar was a good idea should find a building to jump off.

Name:	IMG_0394.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	528.6 KB
ID:	392237

Denver, CO
Old 04-02-2021, 06:10 PM   #100
3 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
I’ll look on out of doors and see what they have. I don’t even know what I am missing.

They have everything. Just a lovely $150 in basic parts.

Denver, CO