Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-02-2021, 09:18 PM   #101
1 Rivet Member
 
1972 31' Sovereign
Hudson , New Hampshire
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 14
Wow you're flying through this. I started a 72 Sovereign in 2016 and just put my last bolt in the new floor today (in all honesty I have been slacking the last 2 years). I did the whole thing shell on, but in hindsight it would have been sooo much faster to do shell off.

I'm pretty much at the same stage as you now. I have some MaxxAir's and window sealing (leaky vista's) to try and get done this weekend if I don't spend eternity scrapping off the PO silicone job.

I noticed you didn't do the side/belly wraps before bucking the body back on. Are you planning to overlap them over the body rivets? I only ask because I have to replace/patch mine and debating the approach.
air_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:18 PM   #102
2 Rivet Member
 
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by air_boy View Post
Wow you're flying through this. I started a 72 Sovereign in 2016 and just put my last bolt in the new floor today (in all honesty I have been slacking the last 2 years). I did the whole thing shell on, but in hindsight it would have been sooo much faster to do shell off.

I'm pretty much at the same stage as you now. I have some MaxxAir's and window sealing (leaky vista's) to try and get done this weekend if I don't spend eternity scrapping off the PO silicone job.

I noticed you didn't do the side/belly wraps before bucking the body back on. Are you planning to overlap them over the body rivets? I only ask because I have to replace/patch mine and debating the approach.


Yes I trust a good sealant job. Trim will cover it either way which will also be sealed up with TremPro.
__________________
1974 Ambassador (Boondock or Bust) - In Progress

Denver, CO
Aopsahl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:14 PM   #103
2 Rivet Member
 
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 78
Good progress today and last night.

2 x Fantastic Fans are in
King TV Antenna in
Radio antenna in
Skylight (delete middle vent)
Patched 2nd plumbing vent
Tied subfloor down to cross members
Sealed all cracks & rivets on drivers side

Also - Got serious about rivet organization.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0397.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	392294
__________________
1974 Ambassador (Boondock or Bust) - In Progress

Denver, CO
Aopsahl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:27 AM   #104
1 Rivet Member
 
1973 31' Sovereign
Novi , MI
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 8
Can you send me the link to the dexter lift kit? I had the axles replaced on my 31 sovereign as basically my first step after gutting. Now working on tank replacement and plumbing a I could really use more belly space.
__________________
Hcustom
Harry Kubbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:06 AM   #105
1 Rivet Member
 
1972 31' Sovereign
Hudson , New Hampshire
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aopsahl7 View Post
Good progress today and last night.

2 x Fantastic Fans are in
King TV Antenna in
Radio antenna in
Skylight (delete middle vent)
Patched 2nd plumbing vent
Tied subfloor down to cross members
Sealed all cracks & rivets on drivers side

Also - Got serious about rivet organization.

Attachment 392294
I use the same bins. They are great except when stuff creeps under the dividers. I also have a small rolling cart so that I can roll all my tools out to the trailer and then back in the garage at the end of the day making cleanup faster.

What are you using for the skylight? I was going to put in 3 MaxxFans, but I like your idea better.
air_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:04 PM   #106
2 Rivet Member
 
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 78
Productive day. Good weather in Denver.

Pulled all the fixed window glass and removed one entire vista having to drill out due to leaks.

Cleaned all the windows.
Will need polishing on one.
Brushed and cleaned up window frames

Planning on taking the glass to a tint shop while I have them off. I have read different things about using Tremco 635, but it is tacky as ever. Any suggestions on a better option to “secure and seal” the outer pane back in the frame?

Also started pulling marker lights to upgrade with LEDs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0418.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	620.3 KB
ID:	392430

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0415.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	481.3 KB
ID:	392431
__________________
1974 Ambassador (Boondock or Bust) - In Progress

Denver, CO
Aopsahl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:07 PM   #107
2 Rivet Member
 
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by air_boy View Post
I use the same bins. They are great except when stuff creeps under the dividers. I also have a small rolling cart so that I can roll all my tools out to the trailer and then back in the garage at the end of the day making cleanup faster.



What are you using for the skylight? I was going to put in 3 MaxxFans, but I like your idea better.


I got this one. It seems pretty well done, but a bit more “yellow” than “smoke”. Either way I kinda like it as it creates a nice warm light from up top.

Class A Customs Premium Heavy Duty RV Camper Trailer Skylight - 18 x 26 OD / 14 x 22 ID Smoke - Install Kit CS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GS8QHJ7...ing=UTF8&psc=1
__________________
1974 Ambassador (Boondock or Bust) - In Progress

Denver, CO
Aopsahl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:08 PM   #108
2 Rivet Member
 
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Kubbe View Post
Can you send me the link to the dexter lift kit? I had the axles replaced on my 31 sovereign as basically my first step after gutting. Now working on tank replacement and plumbing a I could really use more belly space.


https://highskyrvparts.com/new-airst...le-lift-kit-11
__________________
1974 Ambassador (Boondock or Bust) - In Progress

Denver, CO
Aopsahl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:46 PM   #109
1 Rivet Member
 
1972 31' Sovereign
Hudson , New Hampshire
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aopsahl7 View Post

Planning on taking the glass to a tint shop while I have them off. I have read different things about using Tremco 635, but it is tacky as ever. Any suggestions on a better option to “secure and seal” the outer pane back in the frame?
My experience is that 635 doesn't work well against glass. I've moved to using silicone (Trempro 644) or the aluminum silicone that Vintage Trailer Gaskets sells for bedding/sealing glass against the frame. You can use the 635 around the frame for where it meets the trailer when you reinstall.

I also ordered some spacer materials from them to do my wing windows to take up the space when I remove the inner pane. Looks like you may be in the same boat for those windows where you need something to take up the space in the frame to hold the glass. They have a tech library with all kinds of window configurations so you might want to check it out.

Just some ideas...

http://vintagetrailergaskets.com/img...g%20101919.jpg
air_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:06 PM   #110
Rivet Master
 
kidjedi's Avatar
 
1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by air_boy View Post
My experience is that 635 doesn't work well against glass. I've moved to using silicone (Trempro 644)
I will echo this sentiment. 635 is my favorite stuff, but it's just for metal on metal. If there is glass involved, that's the one place on an Airstream you use silicone. But if you can get an actual gasket (vs. goo), that's the best way to go.
__________________
25' 1972 Airstream Trade Wind Land Yacht (heavily customized)
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel)
BeahmStream.com
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:08 PM   #111
Rivet Master
 
kidjedi's Avatar
 
1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 919
Good lord you're moving fast! Putting the rest of us to shame. You're going to be done before I can get down there to offer any "help!"
__________________
25' 1972 Airstream Trade Wind Land Yacht (heavily customized)
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel)
BeahmStream.com
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:29 AM   #112
2 Rivet Member
 
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by air_boy View Post
My experience is that 635 doesn't work well against glass. I've moved to using silicone (Trempro 644) or the aluminum silicone that Vintage Trailer Gaskets sells for bedding/sealing glass against the frame. You can use the 635 around the frame for where it meets the trailer when you reinstall.

I also ordered some spacer materials from them to do my wing windows to take up the space when I remove the inner pane. Looks like you may be in the same boat for those windows where you need something to take up the space in the frame to hold the glass. They have a tech library with all kinds of window configurations so you might want to check it out.

Just some ideas...

http://vintagetrailergaskets.com/img...g%20101919.jpg
Great input! I ordered the spacer materials for the wing windows and I will plan on using the 644 for the glass! Great input!
__________________
1974 Ambassador (Boondock or Bust) - In Progress

Denver, CO
Aopsahl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:29 AM   #113
2 Rivet Member
 
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
Good lord you're moving fast! Putting the rest of us to shame. You're going to be done before I can get down there to offer any "help!"
Its my happy place...until its not!
__________________
1974 Ambassador (Boondock or Bust) - In Progress

Denver, CO
Aopsahl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:30 AM   #114
2 Rivet Member
 
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
I will echo this sentiment. 635 is my favorite stuff, but it's just for metal on metal. If there is glass involved, that's the one place on an Airstream you use silicone. But if you can get an actual gasket (vs. goo), that's the best way to go.
Got it. Going with the 644 for adhering the glass to the frame.
__________________
1974 Ambassador (Boondock or Bust) - In Progress

Denver, CO
Aopsahl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:21 AM   #115
New Member
 
1976 31' Sovereign
LANGLEY , British Columbia
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 1
First post ever! I searched "Miller garage window" on you tube and he has some good videos on AS window renovation. A very detailed 3 part one on the opening windows. On one he mentions a product from Eastwood that he used to polish out the last remnants of the of the original coating on the glass. Also some valuable tips on aligning dual pane windows during reassembly.
His other video on vistavision window (I think they are called) gives detail on dismantling and reassembly with new gaskets. His had a plexiglass inner layer which he discarded but if one had the 2 glass option some of the handling in the 3 part video would come in handy. He works on a bench but if I recall correctly it could be done in place as he found the glass components to be held by a spring retainer.

Unfortunately I cannot talk from experience as acquiring my AS was quite sudden and my better half has a long honeydo list before I can tackle a reno.
Panaviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:01 PM   #116
2 Rivet Member
 
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panaviz View Post
First post ever! I searched "Miller garage window" on you tube and he has some good videos on AS window renovation. A very detailed 3 part one on the opening windows. On one he mentions a product from Eastwood that he used to polish out the last remnants of the of the original coating on the glass. Also some valuable tips on aligning dual pane windows during reassembly.
His other video on vistavision window (I think they are called) gives detail on dismantling and reassembly with new gaskets. His had a plexiglass inner layer which he discarded but if one had the 2 glass option some of the handling in the 3 part video would come in handy. He works on a bench but if I recall correctly it could be done in place as he found the glass components to be held by a spring retainer.

Unfortunately I cannot talk from experience as acquiring my AS was quite sudden and my better half has a long honeydo list before I can tackle a reno.
Love the first post. Welcome.

I believe I have actually seen those videos. I am not going to replace the 2 pane system as single pane will be fine and I will have a big enough furnace to keep the draft down.
__________________
1974 Ambassador (Boondock or Bust) - In Progress

Denver, CO
Aopsahl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:06 PM   #117
2 Rivet Member
 
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 78
All vista and side vista's are out.

Pulled and cleaned up 2 of the moveable side windows. Very easy to get cleaned up and remove bad inner pane.

Then it rained and I ran home to pull the tarp over the front half of the trailer.

Tonight I worked on getting the glass ready for tint (perfectly clean). Good news is all but one looks near perfect. But the smaller passenger side vista window got scratched up pretty badly (It was my fault as I was several beers deep and ran the edge of the mulitool oscillating blade against the glass). I have called every glass shop in denver to see if they can buff and repair out, but no one wants the job. Any ideas?

Other question as well...I got a quote for ceramic tint at $800 for all 20 windows (he is doing them in my shop and they are pulled out of the trailer) and it seems like a good price....with that said I am currently debating between 15 or 25% tint. The UV block and heat reflection are nearly the same with either visible light block. I want the dark look, but also do not want to have it be a dark interior. Thoughts on 15 vs 25?
__________________
1974 Ambassador (Boondock or Bust) - In Progress

Denver, CO
Aopsahl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:08 PM   #118
2 Rivet Member
 
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 78
Lined up the Power/Solar systems. This is my current build. Thoughts?Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 11.07.29 PM.png
Views:	8
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	392646
__________________
1974 Ambassador (Boondock or Bust) - In Progress

Denver, CO
Aopsahl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:53 PM   #119
Rivet Master
 
dbj216's Avatar

 
1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,640
Images: 1
Gee, I know little about window shading or solar power systems. Sorry I can't help. I did apply tinted film to my windows just to cut down on the glare and the heat into the interior. Yep, the interior is darker but not so sun soaked. I think they were like 30% shaded.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1907 Curb-800x600.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	392709  
__________________
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

See my 1969 Globetrotter 21' Renovation Project:
In Knowledge Base

See my 1966 Trade Wind 24' Reno Project:
In Knowledge Base

See my 1975 Overlander 27' Improvement Journal:
In Knowledge Base

See our 1976 Sovereign 31' Renovation Project:
In Knowledge Base
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:08 PM   #120
2 Rivet Member
 
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Gee, I know little about window shading or solar power systems. Sorry I can't help. I did apply tinted film to my windows just to cut down on the glare and the heat into the interior. Yep, the interior is darker but not so sun soaked. I think they were like 30% shaded.



David


Whatever you have looks great. I am leaning towards the 25 because I don’t want it to be too dark inside on a cloudy day.
__________________
1974 Ambassador (Boondock or Bust) - In Progress

Denver, CO
Aopsahl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
full-time living 1974 Ambassador fiarra Full-Timing 2 11-22-2012 12:49 PM
What is the Estimated Price for Full or Partial Restoration? coltmccoy General Repair Forum 54 04-02-2011 06:40 PM
Full Restoration Costs? MORA Dollars & Cents 13 06-05-2010 12:05 AM
Wire AWG (gauge) needed for full restoration. briheath Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 6 06-07-2009 09:14 AM
Just Joined, Just Started a Full Restoration HamiBambi Member Introductions 10 07-06-2006 07:25 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.