Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
This extruded aluminum "F" channel as it is sometimes called was introduced with the new body in 1969, The front and rear "end caps" with their curves use the "C" channel which used to be all around the body bottom. The function of this part is to provide good attachment of the body to the frame, and the interior skins to the frame. I think the F shape encapsulates the plywood and makes the assembly stronger.

Airstream factory assembles the frame at the first step. Tanks and plumbing are installed, insulation, the subfloor, the belly pan, the axles and other stuff are installed. When the flip the frame over onto it wheels, the F channels and the C channels are already assembled to the wood.

The body is dropped onto the F channel and C channel, adjusted as needed to fit, and the riveting begins.

So maybe when you are assembling the new subfloor plywood you will insert the edges of the straight sections into the F channel. Leave spaces for the entry door, water heater and the like. The curved C channels go around in front and back. Then marry the body to the channels.

Others more knowledgeable than I will hopefully chime in with a better response.

David

I'll post a couple of pictures later.
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:51 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Lincoln , Nebraska
Good reply from David. Modify as needed. Be sure you construct so that the plumbing and electricals remains accessible. Never know when repairs may be needed. Original designs made accessibility secondary. I have had many bloody knuckles to show for this .
77 R GO C MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:31 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 R GO C MH View Post
Good reply from David. Modify as needed. Be sure you construct so that the plumbing and electricals remains accessible. Never know when repairs may be needed. Original designs made accessibility secondary. I have had many bloody knuckles to show for this .
I am sure! Access to service panels and areas will be paramount.
Aopsahl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:32 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
This makes complete sense. It would seem that the "F" channels are overkill considering I will be bolting through the C channel and subfloor to the Frame in many instances. But, extra structure never seems to hurt.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:34 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
I was having "internet overload" yesterday evening and my photos wouldn't upload for me. Like major city commutes, the internet is less crowded early in the morning.

The first photo is from my "service manual" for my 75 Overlander

The second photo shows the "F" channel. I took out my old water heater, and found it interesting that the factory ground off the F channel so the water heater would slide in.

The third photo shows the "C" channel that wraps around the rear end cap.

The F and C channels are bolted to the outriggers and screwed to the subfloor in between the outriggers. Many renovators insure these fasteners are well sealed. Some also provide "drain holes" in these channels so undetected rain water leaking between the walls can drip away from the subfloor.

Disclaimer: I've never removed an Airstream body, or shell, from the frame. Maybe some day, but I haven't had the need yet.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1803 Floor Channel Picture (Small).JPG
Views:	16
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	385683   Click image for larger version

Name:	1803 Floor Channel (Small).JPG
Views:	17
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	385684  

Name:	1803 Floor Formed C Channel (Small).JPG
Views:	14
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	385685  
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
Old 12-29-2020, 12:07 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aopsahl7 View Post
Does it make more sense to post questions/plans/thoughts specific to things like appliance selection, layout, power diagrams etc all within this thread or create individual specific threads? Would love to keep it all in one place, but also dont expect people to read through pages upon pages of the entire process to help with a specific question. Trying to play nice in the forum world...And yes I will use the search bar and find as much as I can to not repeat questions.
It's a crapshoot. Posting questions in your own thread often returns fewer results, while posting a question about a single issue in a specific forum section will get you more answers (and usually much more quickly).

However, having a "build thread" will usually make you some "friends" who have had similar projects, and you'll get good information from those sources (and often that bond will cause those people to be a little more dedicated to answering your questions and helping you out). Not only that, but with a "build thread," you can go back to a single source and check the answers to your own questions, even if the answers ultimately come from your own discoveries.

The biggest thing... don't get frustrated if you're asking questions and getting no answers. Sometimes the answers fall in your lap, sometimes you have to search for days. It's often a pain, but the amount of knowledge hidden in these forums is truly amazing.

p.s. Regarding the microwave "taking up space" when you aren't using it... it's actually a pretty decent "cabinet" for holding other stuff. :-) Also, the combo "toaster" (convection oven) microwaves used to be awful, but their functionality is getting much better. I've never used a propane oven while camping, but I use the propane range, the toaster oven, and the microwave *all the time.*

p.p.s. Using your Airstream while restoring it is a lot like living in a home while doing major renovation. It can be a lot of fun, but it can also be some of the worst experiences of your life. It all depends on expectations, using your noggin, and listening to the experience of others who've done it before. My blog has a couple of "what I learned on trip..." one, two, three, etc. posts. These are about trying to use the Airstream before it was anywhere near ready and what would have made it better. It's pretty informative stuff for someone who might be trying to stretch the limits of reality. ;-)
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:04 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
It's a crapshoot. Posting questions in your own thread often returns fewer results, while posting a question about a single issue in a specific forum section will get you more answers (and usually much more quickly).

However, having a "build thread" will usually make you some "friends" who have had similar projects, and you'll get good information from those sources (and often that bond will cause those people to be a little more dedicated to answering your questions and helping you out). Not only that, but with a "build thread," you can go back to a single source and check the answers to your own questions, even if the answers ultimately come from your own discoveries.

The biggest thing... don't get frustrated if you're asking questions and getting no answers. Sometimes the answers fall in your lap, sometimes you have to search for days. It's often a pain, but the amount of knowledge hidden in these forums is truly amazing.

p.s. Regarding the microwave "taking up space" when you aren't using it... it's actually a pretty decent "cabinet" for holding other stuff. :-) Also, the combo "toaster" (convection oven) microwaves used to be awful, but their functionality is getting much better. I've never used a propane oven while camping, but I use the propane range, the toaster oven, and the microwave *all the time.*

p.p.s. Using your Airstream while restoring it is a lot like living in a home while doing major renovation. It can be a lot of fun, but it can also be some of the worst experiences of your life. It all depends on expectations, using your noggin, and listening to the experience of others who've done it before. My blog has a couple of "what I learned on trip..." one, two, three, etc. posts. These are about trying to use the Airstream before it was anywhere near ready and what would have made it better. It's pretty informative stuff for someone who might be trying to stretch the limits of reality. ;-)

Great advice. Thank you! Luckily not having to live in it and no real timeline for now! Note taken on the microwave.

Denver, CO
Old 01-02-2021, 12:06 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Been doing a lot of reading about windows. Good news is most of mine are in good shape. I am curious as to why some of the windows have this brown gasket between the panes and others do not. Itís not very attractive and if/when I do open these up Iíll need a plan.

Let me know!

Name:	IMG_6991.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	359.4 KB
ID:	386017

Name:	IMG_6992.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	474.3 KB
ID:	386018

Denver, CO
Old 01-03-2021, 06:10 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
I haven't seen a window like that one before. Clueless on what it is. Hopefully someone will chime in.

David
Old 01-03-2021, 06:34 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Marion , New York
It looks like someone was trying to create or repair a double pane window. In either case, that is not the correct way to do it. Is there an inner and outer pane on that window?
DremStremer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:08 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DremStremer View Post
It looks like someone was trying to create or repair a double pane window. In either case, that is not the correct way to do it. Is there an inner and outer pane on that window?

There is definitely an inner and outer pane. I have 4 windows that have this brown tape in between the panes!

Denver, CO
Old 01-04-2021, 11:35 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
There is definitely an inner and outer pane. I have 4 windows that have this brown tape in between the panes!
It's hard to believe that someone would take the time and effort to disassemble the entire window and "fix" them with that awful foam weather stripping (and did they not pull the cellophane off the adhesive side?), but apparently that's what happened. It's a bummer because you'll need to disassemble the windows again, but the good news is you can restore them properly and have well insulated double pane windows (lot's of these trailers only have single pane windows).
Old 01-05-2021, 07:35 AM   #53
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Novi , MI
I just refurbished all my 73' Sovereign windows and the windows that open are not hard to take apart. I used an expandable weather stripping or the gasket between the panes. Taking out the fixed windows is much more work. Cleaning the old film off is also a pain. Have fun!
Old 01-05-2021, 09:12 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Kubbe View Post
I just refurbished all my 73' Sovereign windows and the windows that open are not hard to take apart. I used an expandable weather stripping or the gasket between the panes. Taking out the fixed windows is much more work. Cleaning the old film off is also a pain. Have fun!
We shall see. All the windows seem to have been "worked on" in the past as they are all set with olympic rivets. I will be removing all of them and getting them back to snuff.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:59 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1974 29' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
Whiterock , British Columbia
I’m just on the last couple of items on the list for a complete rebuild af my ‘74 Ambassador. Ours had an interior fire, so it was completely gutted as well. Lots of fun seeing it come to completion. Of course, I just bought a 1963 19’ Globe Trotter that needs just about as much love. Oh well, there goes the next year or so of spare time...

I’ll keep an eye on your build. Welcome to the madness!
redthies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:36 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
"Spare time"??

Quote:
Originally Posted by redthies View Post
Iím just on the last couple of items on the list for a complete rebuild af my Ď74 Ambassador. Ours had an interior fire, so it was completely gutted as well. Lots of fun seeing it come to completion. Of course, I just bought a 1963 19í Globe Trotter that needs just about as much love. Oh well, there goes the next year or so of spare time...

Iíll keep an eye on your build. Welcome to the madness!
Spare time?? What's that? You know that all those vintage Airstreams out there are just panting to be rebuilt, so speak not of spare time!

Vivian

PS The Globetrotter sounds like fun, keep us posted.
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:44 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Windows - WANTED

So with the layout of moving the bath to the center and creating a rear twin I have fully committed to adding windows to the back. Looking for the ~20" Main window and ~20" vista to match the front. I have been able to find a fair amount of replacement glass/screen etc. BUT no luck finding the exterior trim for these windows.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Anyone selling send my way!
Old 01-12-2021, 09:38 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
So with the layout of moving the bath to the center and creating a rear twin I have fully committed to adding windows to the back. Looking for the ~20" Main window and ~20" vista to match the front. I have been able to find a fair amount of replacement glass/screen etc. BUT no luck finding the exterior trim for these windows.

At the risk of speaking sacrilege... make sure you want that vista vue before spending the time and effort locating one and installing. I love, love, love how they look (especially from the exterior), but for real world use, I've found that I keep the shade panel down over mine almost 100% of the time, because in the summer they are hot (facing the over head sun), and in the winter they are cold (letting heat out through the ceiling)!
Old 01-13-2021, 04:40 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1974 29' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
I've found that I keep the shade panel down over mine almost 100% of the time, because in the summer they are hot (facing the over head sun), and in the winter they are cold (letting heat out through the ceiling)!
Donít forget the leak factor too
Old 01-13-2021, 04:46 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1974 29' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
Quote:

I would do a lot of Craigslist searches (and AS classifieds) using the words Airstream Parts. That is your best hope. My brother in law just sent me a photo of a 31í from our era that looks like a flaming turd. Maybe I can get it as a parts trailer and you can have a couple of windows... Iíll get him to leave a ďdo you want to sellĒ note on it. Itís just in the San Jaun islands (Gulf Islands) so very close by both of us. Iím just up at the border by Blaine.