Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2009, 08:16 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Look at adjacent windows . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue View Post
Question: Does anyone know the rationale/history behind the use of suicide doors?
Generally, suicide [rear-hinged] doors they were used when there was a window installed immediately forward of the door. Note two of the three Safaris shown in this thread have rear hinged doors. But early-production Safari Luna's door is hinged to open forward, so even the smaller door-within-a-door will block the small kitchen side window from opening when it is latched fast against the trailer. The rear hinges allow both the door and the adjacent forward window to be opened at the same time.

Besides some early production models, on which things are often still being worked out, a few exceptions to this rule include some 1940s Liners, where the curb side had windows both forward and aft of the door. In those cases, the door often had forward mounted hinges because it would have blocked an adjacent window from opening whether the door opened forward or rearward.

Rob and Shari: Superb work on the Zolotone! Can't wait to see it in person.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:12 AM   #22
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
How could anyone ask for a better explanation? Thank you Fred.

Any chance you can make it to the WDCU Cherry Blossom Rally this year?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Very interesting Frank, I'm on the rpad and only have my iPhone right now, I'll have to check out the bigger pics later. Thanks for posting it though...cool!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:01 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
56 as

What a beauty Rick. Do you have any interior pics yet? I'm in the process of adding a grey tank to my 56 now, just above the axle.
J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick56Safari View Post
Shari, we are the proud owners of a 1956 22 ft Safari, Serial number 6319. We purchased it from Steve Butcher, Funkyjunkfarms.com in LA two yrs ago and have been enjoying it ever since. We have traced its history from the Shady Dell in Az to CO to CA and now it resides in WA state.
We are preparing to some renovations in the next yr or so. Make the Dinette more rounded and allow the refrigerator door to fully open and to do something with the two beds in the back. Nothing firm there yet, we are looking for ideas. We have a Park Model so we have no holding or fresh water tanks, just the original Heater under one bunk.
We are open to any other ideas about reworking or restoring this classic baby of ours.
Thanks
Rick and Joanna
1956Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #25

1956 22' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
1956 Airstream Safari 06317

Add us to your list of front kitchen/bath 1956 Airstream Safari's. We just bought ours from a couple in Arizona last week. It's number 6317 and the prior owner had purchased it from the McAfee (computer software guru) auction last year as it was used as one of his guest houses on his estate prior to his financial troubles. It's in good condition but still needs a few little additions to make it more self contained for our travels. Dave & Lee, Brevard, North Carolina
retrotravelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
There is a '55 front kitchen Safari for sale on Helena, MT, Craigs List. $3,000, looks to be used as a hunters trailer at the moment.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:58 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
deland , Florida
are the front kitchen modles worth more? im looking at a 56 right now for 5g that is actually being lived in at the moment so it is in decent shape
386kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:18 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
The value should be based on more than just the floor plan - the condition of the entire trailer should be considered. I guess there is some "value" in the fact that this layout was only made three years - but there are other floor plans that were made only one year (Bambi II in '64, the 16' Pacer in '60, etc) or a couple of years too. So no.

Check out this Price vs Condition information to get a better idea of what does affect the value.

I would be interested in seeing pictures and/or learning more about this trailer though...for my list. Any info you can share would be helpful. Good luck if you decide to purchase it...we love ours!

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 11-22-2010, 05:43 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

deland , Florida
im trying to deal with the person on it and i asked for the numbers. my thing is i will be using a 56 chevy nomad for a tow vehcle and i dont need all that extra weight on the front of the airstream. my nomad has a baby notch in the frame cause it is full air ride. but on the other side of this my wife and i do not want a bathroom in the airstream we camp at parks and when we travel we stay one night at rest areas so they have a bathroom there anyway. and we dont need the kitchen really, atleast the stove. all we want is a sink and refrigerator. my only concern would be the sink. how hard would it be to move it to the middle somewhere so i can have a dinette made up for the front?
Old 11-22-2010, 06:41 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Not difficult at all. Go for it.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
386 - just a thought - I never wanted an bathroom, kitchen etc - my wife had different ideas - so now we have all that stuff - and I have to admit it is pretty nice and I've become very used to it - its nice to just do your thing right there, and the trailer stove is sure nicer than pulling the Coleman out - I'm still holding out on the shower though.....and I've got the wife agreeing with me on that - she still wants hot water... hmmm - So I'll guess we will have hot water next spring

Ken J
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 386kustoms View Post
im trying to deal with the person on it and i asked for the numbers. my thing is i will be using a 56 chevy nomad for a tow vehcle and i dont need all that extra weight on the front of the airstream. my nomad has a baby notch in the frame cause it is full air ride. but on the other side of this my wife and i do not want a bathroom in the airstream we camp at parks and when we travel we stay one night at rest areas so they have a bathroom there anyway. and we dont need the kitchen really, atleast the stove. all we want is a sink and refrigerator. my only concern would be the sink. how hard would it be to move it to the middle somewhere so i can have a dinette made up for the front?
While the layout of a front kitchen Safari doesn't add extra value, it is a unique layout that was not available very many years. If it is in good shape, I personally would hate to see it gutted. Also, if you are planning on gutting it, there are probably other 1956 trailers out there without the front kitchen layout (which is heavier up front) that could be better candidates for your TV...and I'm sure for less $$$ than $5K. To pay that, then remodel it to the extent you are describing, it seems to be on the high side.

I also agree with Ken, that the bathroom is a nice feature - w/o one you can't ever really boondock or use your trailer for a pit stop on the road. However, as a park model (no tanks), that really isn't an option anyways. Ours was also a park model, but we added both black & gray tanks and don't regret either the effort or expense to do so.

Shari

Old 11-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Hey 386 - it sounds to me like you are going to have the perfect (IMHO) tow set up. We tow out '51 Flying Cloud with a '57 Safari 2dr wagon (Pontiac's Nomad equivalent). We love it, the combo works very well, and it is very retro - just like the two of us. Heck, even our cat is old now.

I have to agree with the others - leaving the bathroom and kitchen in will help you in a big way to recover your investment costs when you decide to sell. We bought ours and it never had a bathroom. Having camped for years we know how the washrooms in many public facilities are often good, but enough of them are scuzzy enough that we'd do almost anthing rather than use them. So we put a small bathroom in, about what yours will come with. I did at tanks, it was no big deal to do so, and it has really made the trailer a pleasure to go camping in. And now, when we see a nice turn out that doesn't have facilities we don't have to worry.

As for hot water - we don't have that either. I'm going to put one of those under the counter instant hotwater tap set ups, which is about all we need. We only have the kitchen sink to put hot water in and the friends who have added this feature to their trailers that have a hot water heater say these single hot water taps are perfect.

Look forward to seeing pictures of your potential trailer and your Nomad.

If you are intent on not having a bathroom, etc, I strongly encourage you to if nothing else, save everything. Don't throw any of it away, store it somewhere. That way, down the road, from either a decision to have them again, or for resale value, you have the pieces.

And another note, there was one, a '55, for sale, complete and in ok shape and being used, in Helena, MT for 3K and it wasn't selling very quickly. It still may be on the Helena, MT Craig's list. But it should give you an idea of what one that is going to be redone is likely worth.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

deland , Florida
always a problem lol. went and looked at the safari today and seems like a good deal and is what i want, one problem has no title. but thats isnt a big deal cause ive gotten titles b4 for cars through a title company and they do trailers as well. here it the big problem the plate w id number is missing. is there anyway to go about getting a id plate and title? she wants a bigger trailer to live in and is in a hurry to sell cause she so called found a trailer she wants. she even told me if i left then and there w the trailer she would take 3g

only probles like i said missing plate and title
als there are a few reflectors someone added by the lights and there are 2 screw holes for each reflector that i guess the only way to fix is to put rivets in when i remove reflectors

any pics of youre safari with the airstream?
Old 11-23-2010, 01:12 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 386kustoms View Post
always a problem lol. went and looked at the safari today and seems like a good deal and is what i want, one problem has no title. but thats isnt a big deal cause ive gotten titles b4 for cars through a title company and they do trailers as well. here it the big problem the plate w id number is missing. is there anyway to go about getting a id plate and title? she wants a bigger trailer to live in and is in a hurry to sell cause she so called found a trailer she wants. she even told me if i left then and there w the trailer she would take 3g

only probles like i said missing plate and title
als there are a few reflectors someone added by the lights and there are 2 screw holes for each reflector that i guess the only way to fix is to put rivets in when i remove reflectors

any pics of youre safari with the airstream?
So there's no plate by the door with the name and numbers on it? There is not much for numbers, an example, my s/n is 7173 for a '51. I had expected a much longer number. Others may know of where else you can find the s/n's on the frame, I could not find any other locations on mine.

My avatar has one pic, but here's another.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Safari 2006 at Manning Park.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	115865  
Old 11-24-2010, 05:03 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
While the layout of a front kitchen Safari doesn't add extra value, it is a unique layout that was not available very many years. If it is in good shape, I personally would hate to see it gutted. Also, if you are planning on gutting it, there are probably other 1956 trailers out there without the front kitchen layout (which is heavier up front) that could be better candidates for your TV...and I'm sure for less $$$ than $5K. To pay that, then remodel it to the extent you are describing, it seems to be on the high side.

I also agree with Ken, that the bathroom is a nice feature - w/o one you can't ever really boondock or use your trailer for a pit stop on the road. However, as a park model (no tanks), that really isn't an option anyways. Ours was also a park model, but we added both black & gray tanks and don't regret either the effort or expense to do so.

Shari
As an owner of a 1955 Safari (who loves the floor plan), I would agree that it doesn't make sense to buy a rare front kitchen mid 50's Safari and then change the floor plan to reduce the tongue weight. It would be much better to start with a trailer that better fits your desires. Almost any other Airstream from that vintage in any length would have a front goucho or possibly a front dinette, and '22 Flying clouds are actually more plentiful, if you like the 22' length.

On the other hand, upgrading the Safari with holding tanks could be a nice modification to consider. I am planning to do that with mine.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
I sent a PM, but it couldn't hurt to say hello here.
We have a 1956 Safari, O6344. The floor is about halfway replaced and we're hopeful to get it back on the road soon.

I'm trying to to the work myself and wow... Is there ever a learning curve!

I'm in Gresham Oregon and would love to contact others who have "been there!"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1595335415.png
Views:	170
Size:	495.4 KB
ID:	138838   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2954496394.png
Views:	160
Size:	1,015.7 KB
ID:	138839  

Name:	image-2017520157.png
Views:	171
Size:	786.6 KB
ID:	138840   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-718411538.png
Views:	177
Size:	771.3 KB
ID:	138841  

SafariSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSteve View Post
I'm trying to to the work myself and wow... Is there ever a learning curve!

I'm in Gresham Oregon and would love to contact others who have "been there!"
Nice trailer Steve! Hope you are able to get her up and running, and back on the road soon. Let me know if there is anything you run into that you need help on...we restored ours from the frame up. Check out our "It's a Girl!!!" thread...as you said...we've "been there" & done that! Lots of work, but very rewarding once complete.

Shari

Old 08-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #39
Rivet Master

serial#06336

Shari,

Picked up the 1956 FK from Wayne and Linda Moore this past weekend I purchased from them a year ago. It’s serial# 06336

Looked over every inch of you restore about the plumbing, skins, tanks, etc… I need to look at the pictures again to figure out what you did with the elec.

One thing I have noticed about yours compared to others (including mine), your upper cabinets have a “rolled” edge instead of a sharp 90. I know you built the beds from scratch but even the before picture appear to have the rolled edge on the upper cabinets, (don’t know about the rear small cabinet on the passenger side behind the closet). I saw when you built the new beds and night stand you went with rolled as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	56-back.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	560.3 KB
ID:	138994   Click image for larger version

Name:	56-front.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	396.2 KB
ID:	138995  

Name:	56-mid.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	451.1 KB
ID:	138996   Click image for larger version

Name:	56-back-cab.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	386.3 KB
ID:	138997  

Name:	56-pass-side.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	554.7 KB
ID:	138998   Click image for larger version

Name:	56-drivers-side.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	673.8 KB
ID:	138999  

Name:	56-plate.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	507.0 KB
ID:	139000  
Old 08-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Al-right Paul! The layout of yours looks just like ours but without the rounded corners...and it looks like you have an electric only fridge (no vent stack + the window).

Since we've had our Safari, I have spoken with lots of people and collected a few original brochures and had other contribute more (see post #8 in this thread and Post #'s 591-593 in my "Birdy" thread, link in signature) - I have come to believe that the mid-50's Safari's were a kind of entry-level, park model line that was put together from "leftover parts & pieces" from other trailers, they appear to be a mish-mash of parts & pieces from other models. I also have noticed they came in three basic different finish packages - some with painted metal upper cabinets, some with wood w/square edge, others with painted wood w/rounded edges and some had a combo of both wood & metal. Some had pegboard slider doors, some had gold veined or solid masonite. With the front kitchen especially, they are kind of an odd bird, but endearing to those of us that have them.

The rolled edges are pretty unique - I've only seen one other (so far) in a Safari...actually it was the interior of a Safari that had been repurposed into a '63 Flying Cloud. There are a couple of pictures of others with them in the Vintage Archives but other models:

'56 Caravanner
'56 "18-Footer"
'56 CustomAnother '56 Custom

I do know our upper cabinets were painted with Zolatone originally...we saw evidence when we stripped the paint. That's part of why we re-veneered ours, we couldn't get all the paint off.

The medicine cabinet & dresser had the rounded corners and we were able to re-use them The original twin beds & nightstand had been cut-up and re-purposed into a large bed across the back when we got ours - but two of the three rounded sections were still there so we re-used them. We did have to make one new one (based on the layout of the Flying Cloud mentioned above that had one) for the nightstand between the beds.

The more mid-50's Safari's that surface...the more we can compare the ideosyncrocises of them...fun!

Thanks for adding yours to the list ~

Shari

Tags
13 panel, 1956