Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Liner > 1950-1956 Liner
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #81
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can View Post
Spent some time this afternoon sketching and dreaming!

I'm thinking about a closet air for this one, too. I just can't bring myself to put a roof-top AC on anything older than 1960...
JP ~

In reviewing your sketch / proposed layout, I wonder about the location of the AC. It will be blowing warm air and making a bit of noise right where you'll be setting up your cool retro table and lounging about outside the trailer. Might there be another place to put it, either further back under the bottom bunk bed or on the other side? I know it will drastically change up your weight distribution but...

Just ponderin'

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
JP ~

In reviewing your sketch / proposed layout, I wonder about the location of the AC. It will be blowing warm air and making a bit of noise right where you'll be setting up your cool retro table and lounging about outside the trailer. Might there be another place to put it, either further back under the bottom bunk bed or on the other side? I know it will drastically change up your weight distribution but...

Just ponderin'

Brad
FF
When I first looked at Jordan's layout, I thought it might be better to have the A/C mounted on the streetside rather than curbside, so the ducting could be run up a couple of feet closer to the front, rather than terminating just under the refrigerator before the door.

But then I realized that would require ducting through the wet bath, in order to get air into the rear bedroom, which is probably fairly undesirable.

I agree that it's not the most desirable thing in the world to have the A/C exhausting right into the outdoor patio area outside the front door, but I think it's going to have to go SOMEWHERE on the curbside, in order to duct it both into the galley/front lounge, as well as all the way back into the rear bedroom. Additionally, if Jordan wants the registers to blow from the top near the roof, it will be easier to run the ductwork up through the tall pantry on the street side, as well as perhaps through the shelves where the TV will also reside in the rear bedroom. As discussed on JP'S 18 Footer thread (a couple of years ago!), small fans might be utilized in the ductwork to help move the air up and out.

That's my $.02 anyway. I really wanted to try something like this on my Overlander, but decided I can live with the roof air. Someday, when I get a 56 Caravanner, I will strongly consider this method of cooling.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:00 AM   #83
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Good call on the AC location! I hadn't really thought about that. I was just looking at available cabinet space. :-D

I'm glad I'm not starting this one for a year! Gives me LOTS of time to work stuff like this out. WORST case, I can always put in a roof top low profile unit, and paint it silver.... That's NOT my preference, but I might go ahead and run some 110 lines up there anyway. That's what I did in the pickle, just in case. Roof top units won't look as bad on a really long one, I guess. More to ponder... ha! IF I can get it in the body of the trailer somewhere, I think I'd prefer that.

JP

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:01 AM   #84
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
JP, I told you the table would be cool. I'm glad you're keeping it.

And I see you have the stovetop exhaust vent occupying one of your galley overhead cabinets. I have the same issue. Are you planning a workaround or leaving it there?

Dunno yet. Depends what I do with the stove. I might leave it, and just write that cabinet off. I'm going to be fabricating a few more overhead cabinets anyway, Might as well make an extra for the kitchen, too!

jP

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 08-03-2009, 07:13 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
JP,

My range exhaust fan sits on the side of the wall and exhausts straight out the side-- I bet your TradeWind has something similar. If the storage space is really at a premium, then you could always do something like that. But, it would require cutting another hole in the trailer, and would not look "original," if that is something you value.

I'm not sure what it will be like for you to have a whole year to plan-- you seem to be at your best when you are simply "cutting and gluing."

-Marcus
Old 08-03-2009, 07:16 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
What I would REALLY like to do with my range exhaust fan is something like this, but this custom piece is WAY beyond my fabrication skills:

-Marcus
Old 08-03-2009, 08:45 AM   #87
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Nice! We look at the same sites for inspiration, I see... hehe!

a year is a long time to wait, I know... BUT, I have a renewed interest in getting the Silver Pickle DONE this year. I've decided I'm definitely taking it to the Fall rally in Hiawassee. Nothing like a deadline to motivate me to finish something up!

JP

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 08-05-2009, 09:08 AM   #88
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
revised plan...

OK, I've taken all that feedback into account. Thanks all! Here's my latest ramblings...
  • Use the hole in the skin for the water heater opening, and get rid of that water heater cover... (and yes Rob, before you ask, if you want one, I have 3 extras now!) :-D

• AC ducting will be in the overhead aluminum cabinets. I'll probably form that when I do the cabinets to make it more integral.

• On demand water heater under sink in bathroom (can't get much closer to the shower than that!)

• double duty wardrobe door

• loads of storage options. I'm going to do what I did in the trade wind on the front dinette. Make the opening right by the door. It lets me get all the outdoor crap out without having to track dirt into the camper. handy mod for sure! I can post a pic of that if anyone wants.

• external waterproof speaker plugs up high where the awning will meet. I'm planning on adding external speakers that attack to the zip dee when I get to that point.

• Running 110 to the middle fan in addition to 12v, in case the AC can't keep up w/ demand, I have an emergency fix without having to open up the walls again.

Back to my day job for a bit...

JP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Liner-Plan-02.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	84958  

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 08-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
JP,

Don't forget the drain line for the maybe, future A/C unit, just ask Rob about it.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:41 AM   #90
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Will the enclosed AC be just over the wheelwell? If so, won't leave much room in the wardrobe and will raise your center of gravity abit. I know, I keep harping on the AC location. Maybe under the sinks would be better?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Nice! We look at the same sites for inspiration, I see... hehe!

JP
Heh! Yes, David Winick is my hero.

I like the re-designs, with the ducting through overheads, the A/C should work just fine on the streetside. I do wonder if the overhead in the wet bath might make it a little cramped in there though? Hard to say for certain until you're actually in the space.

I'd like to see you post a picture of the front curbside access to storage in your TW. I know you've posted it on the SP's thread, but it's probably good to post it here for reference.

Your plans for your front dinette look very similar to mine. I plan on doing a full u-shape wraparound, but I also intend to have the streetside seat be longer, all the way to the galley cabinets. This way a full-sized person can sleep in it lengthwise rather than x-wise, and thus avoid the necessity of crawling over your partner in the middle of the night if the need arises.

-Marcus
Old 08-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #92
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Heh! Yes, David Winick is my hero.

I like the re-designs, with the ducting through overheads, the A/C should work just fine on the streetside. I do wonder if the overhead in the wet bath might make it a little cramped in there though? Hard to say for certain until you're actually in the space.

I'd like to see you post a picture of the front curbside access to storage in your TW. I know you've posted it on the SP's thread, but it's probably good to post it here for reference.

Your plans for your front dinette look very similar to mine. I plan on doing a full u-shape wraparound, but I also intend to have the streetside seat be longer, all the way to the galley cabinets. This way a full-sized person can sleep in it lengthwise rather than x-wise, and thus avoid the necessity of crawling over your partner in the middle of the night if the need arises.

-Marcus

Another good idea, too! I'll have to look into that more when I start making real measurements.

I've got to finish up the Trade Wind bathroom in the next 2 weeks. I've got everything I need, EXCEPT the damned laminate from Lowes!!! They keep screwing up the order, so I sit all unfinished. Once that's done, I'm going full tilt on the Pickle to get it done, then, I think I've decided to restore the trotter to sell. Who knows... might end up with a business one day. ha!

Anyway, so you can see the Liner's a LONG way down my aluminum list... and with all the camping we have done and are doing... the list seems to take forever to get through! But without camping, why on earth would I have an Airstream in the first place?

JP

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 08-31-2009, 05:16 AM   #93
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
I was walking around the Liner this weekend, and noticed something strange. The lower belt moulding on the front and rear are different! I'll attach a few pics. The front seems to match the thick trim on my '59, but the rear is the thinner stuff, with ridges in it, like my '62. My '64 has a different belt trim all together. Funny how non-standard everything was on these things. I've got 4 trailers, spanning only 10 years, with 4 different types of windows, 3 completely different door styles, and now this!

It looks to be original, so I might as well leave it. The thing's so long, by the time you get to the back of the trailer, you almost forget about what's on the front anyway! :-D

JP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0474.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	86392   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0475.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	86393  

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 08-31-2009, 07:20 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
The first picture looks like the belt trim on the 67 Safari. I wonder if the original trim didn't get damaged and thats a replacement.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:33 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
trim difference

The one looks like the trim on my 66 Caravel...the other looks like the trim on my 54 Cloud. A transplant was somewhere is the past.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:43 AM   #96

Hi there,
love your 13 panel trailer.
I'm in England about to tow mu 31ft 1973 airstream out to a small island in Greece. Need a few more to make a holiday getaway for whoever's interested.
Any hints on where's the best site to grab a 13 panel or even the alien eye models?
Greetings from across the pond,
Jonathan
kullok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:54 AM   #97
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
I was watching the auction and almost bid on it but held back ... luckeeee!
Bob
Xbob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:13 AM   #98
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
ha! Glad you didn't bid against me! I got the thing for $2600!

As for the belt trim, I guess all mysteries will be revealed when I start taking the floor out next year. That's when the skeletons come out. :-o I think taking them apart is the most depressing phase of this sort of hobby. I'm more of a "put it back together" dude!

JP

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 08-31-2009, 04:20 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
I think taking them apart is the most depressing phase of this sort of hobby. I'm more of a "put it back together" dude!

JP
Amen, brother!
Old 08-31-2009, 04:56 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
. . . As for the belt trim, I guess all mysteries will be revealed when I start taking the floor out next year. That's when the skeletons come out. :-o I think taking them apart is the most depressing phase of this sort of hobby. I'm more of a "put it back together" dude!

JP
I agree, tear down is the most depressing phase. I was depressed and I wasn't even the one doing the work.

Interesting rub rail variations. I hope the secrets within your '54 are nicer than the ones we found in my '56.