Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Clipper > 1947 - 1953 Clipper
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2016, 09:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Spruce Grove , Alberta
advice/direction/crazy obsession

hello all.
I went to look at a trailer last night. 1949 Curtis wright clipper. it has had several folks take it on as a project, and is in that limbo state that so many get left in. this may be my only opportunity to get hands on one like this, but before I pull the trigger on this monster project, I need a little advice.

her condition is rough, as most abandoned projects are. frame is solid and clean, with new wheels, brakes and such so she can roll down the road a little. I would need to source all windows and frames, and wonder how available they are. along with advice on fabricating wheel wells, belly pan, some interior skin sections, electrical, plumbing, and all the little things that pop up along restoration road. this site is the best resource for direction, inspiration, motivation and everything else I might need.

this is a project that I am nervous to commit to. I have a large skill set, and with a little outside help here and there, many years, and thousands upon thousands of dollars, I can get her done. the last thing I want to do is start something that I can not realistically finish. I feel she deserves better than to have another owner start then give up on her. some opportunities come along once in a lifetime, and this is one. I am so fortunate to have a supportive husband who goes along with my obsession. I need a realistic game plan in order to proceed.

few questions.
1. how hard is it to source some of the items needed like window frames and such.?
2. what is a realistic time frame for a full restoration? 2000 hours?
3. how much information is there on a more rare trailer like this one?

I feel like I need a little support, as the self doubt is raging. or some sensible advice to leave this gem for someone else to polish.

janel.p

see a pic of her below

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/TYYAAOSw~OVWxK26/$_35.JPG
Janel.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
My recommendation would be to go to the "Forums" tab above, then hit the Model specific section-->trailers forums, and find the section for Liners. At a glance there are only around 40 discussion threads in that section, so that will tell you right away what a rare bird you are looking at. Anyway, I would find some of the members in that section who have done a resurrection of a liner and give them a private message and see what experience they have to share. Melody Ranch's "Red Barn Liner" thread may give you some insights.

A few more opinions, you can take them for what they are worth:

-From the picture, it looks like your trailer has a round, pipe frame. The general opinion I have heard on these is that the entire frame should be rebuilt to modern standards. Take it for what it's worth.

-Part availability, especially things like windows and frames--likely to be "unobtanium." Some of these things may have to be fabbed up from scratch. Rewiring, rebuilding wheel wells and bellypan are not particularly unique to this model, and you can harvest what you need from all over this forum. There are tones of threads on electrical systems, plumbing, and aluminum work.

-Time...Well, I bought a '73 Globetrotter about 4 years ago thinking I would spruce it up and be on the road in a matter of a few months. Since then, I have done a lot of skin repairs, replaced the floor via a shell-off, replaced all the interior skins, upgraded all the plumbing...and I still have all the cabinetry to rebuild (which really ought to be the "fun" part, after all the heavy lifting I've done). It has been pretty much my full time hobby (evenings and weekends). These projects can get out of hand, which is why you see the gutted shells for sale. Project fatigue. So if you are in it for the long haul (years, possibly), and don't grow faint at the sight of rotting wood and disintegrating metal, you might end up with a real gem...

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Good luck with your project and hope you do not shoot yourself in the foot when you "pull the trigger".

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:51 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Spruce Grove , Alberta
Yes, i may have shot myself in the foot. But would have forever kicked my own ass if i didnt give myself the opportunity to research and restore. Have to wait till spring to have a really good look.
Here is a sticker by the door. Assume the previous previous owner removed it and replaced it with this. Still not exactly sure what year and model it is.
Janel
Janel.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:17 PM   #5
1977 31' Excella 500

1977 31' Excella 500
Dallas , Texas
I'm thinking it will go faster after your divorce-resulting from bringing another woman home.
Jack Moore is offline   Reply With Quote