Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2020, 05:33 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' SO Classic
Alexander City , Alabama
Yellowstone and Grand Teton - COVID-19 Summer

I know many of us have unfortunately had to cancel some or all of our plans this summer. We are still holding out hope for our trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton for the month of July. I thought I would share an update I found in case anyone else is trying to make a similar decision. Although some excursions may be closed and it appears a lot of the traditional lodging will be as well, I see a golden opportunity to explore the park during the peak of the season with much smaller crowds.

https://buckrail.com/old-faithful-in...erely-limited/
MicroAir Soft starters, SeeLevel Tank monitor, Maxim Skylights
~ Slide Out Society #089 ~
Tyrinius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the link. FYI here is the NPS page for Yellowstone for future reference:

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

See also: https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/20013.htm

Happy trails,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:09 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Our plans were to start our long trip this summer in mid July. We were planning on heading to Cody where we were going to begin our eastward trek along the United States/Canada Border and go all the way to Maine.

We appreciate your information as Cody is at the East Entrance to Yellowstone. Our plans are still tentative. We will watch the reopening process, and plan accordingly.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
If the traffic is really going to be down, this is mighty tempting!!
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

From my Yellowstone Transportation group of former bus drivers and tourguides, yellowstone is slated to reopen June 15. Season shortened ending mid September. Old Faithful Inn will be closed. All hotels closed for 2020 season. Only accomodations i read will be cabins with ptivate bathrooms. Some of the campgrounds closed as well like Fishing Bridge.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:13 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Mission , Texas
Campgrounds Closed?

WHY? Out doors & easy to social distance.
ghamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Many people here in Wyoming are desperately hoping to salvage a little part of the tourist season. I've spoken with people from some of the private, commercial campgrounds, and some of them are worried about going under. I had heard that Indian Campground here in Buffalo was nearly booked up for the summer, and then had thirty cancellations in a single day. As I drive around, it looks like all of the commercial campgrounds are open, but only have one or two rigs in them. So, if that is your type of camping, it looks like there will be plenty of opportunity.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
Old Faithful Inn will be closed. All hotels closed for 2020 season. Only accomodations i read will be cabins with ptivate bathrooms. Some of the campgrounds closed as well like Fishing Bridge.
Before renting a cabin, watch the latest video from "Changing Lanes". After spending $300/night for a cabin, it was filthy. Stained sheets, dirty shower.
I visited Yellowstone years ago in August, and my comment would be "Never Again". Packed, no wildlife, no place to park, boardwalks jammed with people, road construction.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:36 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Thanks for the information
rshammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Some other YNP news: No horseback rides, stagecoach cowboy dinners, boat trips on the lake, bike rentals at OF. Grant Village closed entirely.

Food service will all be “grab and go” with no dining in.

No formal Ranger programs until at least mid-Summer (if then).

On the plus side: average attendance over the past half dozen years has been in the 4 million range. With a large portion of that foreign visitors. So, it should be much quieter this year.

Quieter should mean much better wildlife viewing. Bears are already out and about and the first bison calves have been dropped. Elk soon to follow.

Between the Forest Service campgrounds all around the park and the commercial operators, it should be easy to find a campsite. What campgrounds will be open within the park has not been chiseled in stone yet.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:43 PM   #11
Txwildcat

2020 33' Classic
San Antonio , TX
Has anyone heard about The Grand Tetons Hotels?

I know the lodges in Tetons are run by a different group.

I have a destination Family Wedding to attend in mid September.
Txwildcat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 01:23 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Connecticut
Campground probably need to stay closed due to the restrooms, showers, laundry and dump stations being off limits.
brundom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 02:02 PM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you roll in fully self contained, things should work pretty well. As soon as you need any sort of "support" it could get real interesting real fast. Run out of milk, eggs, butter? The nearest store may be a *long* run. Need something more exotic? That may be an even further drive. Since "normal" is a half hour to an hour, this could be the better part of a day by the time you are back.

Based on what I've seen so far on the TV, I would not count on the crowds being gone....Just where the bus fleets will be hauling people to and from, who knows ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:36 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Franklin , Tennessee
So we are going through Yellowstone in Early June, does anyone know if the roads are going to be open. Will be coming from Cody and turn down to Jackson 14 to 191? I did see some roads will be open but I dont know about these.
Kennedy6009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Yep, roads will be open. Getting cool pix now from road crew. Should be open by Memorial Day. Take “self-contained” seriously as there won’t be much support in the Park.
Dismissive cat
Old 04-28-2020, 10:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Road info here too: https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/parkroads.htm
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:11 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Reed Point , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Yep, roads will be open. Getting cool pix now from road crew. Should be open by Memorial Day. Take “self-contained” seriously as there won’t be much support in the Park.
As you all know the Park is closed and their is no fixed date of when it will open. Let me say that again.....no fixed date when it or if it will open this summer.
Xantarra, the company that runs the hotels etc. is putting out dates to open so they can book reservations, but they and no one knows when the park will open.
Remember why it closed, because the last thing the local communities want is large groups bringing the infection to the area where their is very limited services (food, medical etc.) Montana still has a 14 day quarantine in place for anyone coming to the state, no date on when that will end.
It's really disingenuous of Xanterra to put out statements like this.
Bigskyrider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:04 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' SO Classic
Alexander City , Alabama
Update for Grand Teton

I certainly appreciate everyone’s insight during these uncertain times. I received an update via email from the Grand Teton Lodge Company:

Jackson Lake Lodge - Not expected to operate this season
Jenny Lake Lodge - Not expected to operate this season
Colter Bay Village - Expected to open for cabins, camping, tent cabins, RV operations
Headwaters at Flagg Ranch - Expected to open for cabins, camping, RV operations
Jenny Lake Campground - Expected to open for camping operations
Gros Ventre Campground - Expected to open for camping operations

More information can be found here:
https://www.gtlc.com/coronavirus?cmpid=ET_GTLC_NEWS
MicroAir Soft starters, SeeLevel Tank monitor, Maxim Skylights
~ Slide Out Society #089 ~
Tyrinius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:08 PM   #19
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I visited Yellowstone years ago in August, and my comment would be "Never Again". Packed, no wildlife, no place to park, boardwalks jammed with people, road construction.

Kinda like Florida during snowbird season....

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigskyrider8 View Post
As you all know the Park is closed and their is no fixed date of when it will open. Let me say that again.....no fixed date when it or if it will open this summer.

Xantarra, the company that runs the hotels etc. is putting out dates to open so they can book reservations, but they and no one knows when the park will open.

Remember why it closed, because the last thing the local communities want is large groups bringing the infection to the area where their is very limited services (food, medical etc.) Montana still has a 14 day quarantine in place for anyone coming to the state, no date on when that will end.

It's really disingenuous of Xanterra to put out statements like this.

So, I based my post on the information I received from the NPS as a seasonal park ranger. The first cadre of seasonals report mid-May so they may quarantine. The second cadre, if required, is slated for mid-June. The park WILL open if Wyoming and Montana do not object. What Xanterra decides has nothing to do with it.
Dismissive cat