Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2020, 11:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbashin View Post
The virus will die as soon as the conditions which support it are removed. Like leaving the trailer in the hot sun for a day or so with no ventilation might work. Iím sure thereís info somewhere on what it needs to live but I did see that it canít live in over 80 degree temps.
U V light kills it. Time kills it.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:40 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Bolton , Massachusetts
smart move we an isolate family in our too if someone get it
Paul J Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:49 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
There is no reason to think that this virus will persist indefinitely outside the human body (e.g. HIV persists only for seconds) , although it appears that it can persist for several days on some surfaces. Just as inside a house, decontamination of surfaces would be necessary during habitation by a person with an active infection and for a few days afterward.
Bob Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:05 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Griffin , Georgia
Corona Virus Longevity Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbashin View Post
The virus will die as soon as the conditions which support it are removed. Like leaving the trailer in the hot sun for a day or so with no ventilation might work. Iím sure thereís info somewhere on what it needs to live but I did see that it canít live in over 80 degree temps.
The following is a quote from Medical News Today which carried info from a paper by Scientists from the Greifswald University Hospital and Ruhr-Universitšt Bochum, both in Germany, recently compiled information from 22 studies on coronaviruses.The link is:https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...ruses-persist?

"How long do coronaviruses persist?
The first section of the new paper focuses on how long coronaviruses can survive on inanimate surfaces, such as tables and door handles. The authors show that, depending on the material and the conditions, human coronaviruses can remain infectious from 2 hours to 9 days.
At temperatures of around 4įC or 39.2oF, certain versions of the coronavirus could remain viable for up to 28 days. At temperatures of 30Ė40įC (86Ė104įF), coronaviruses tended to persist for a shorter time.
At room temperature, a coronavirus responsible for the common cold (HCoV-229E) persisted significantly longer in 50% humidity than 30% humidity. Overall, the authors conclude:
ďHuman coronaviruses can remain infectious on inanimate surfaces at room temperature for up to 9 days. At a temperature of 30įC [86įF] or more, the duration of persistence is shorter. Veterinary coronaviruses have been shown to persist even longer for 28 d[ays].Ē
When the scientists delved into the literature on the persistence of coronaviruses on different surfaces, the results were variable. For instance, the MERS virus persisted for 48 hours on a steel surface at 20įC (68įF). However, on a similar surface and at the same temperature, TGEV survived for up to 28 days.
Similarly, two studies investigated the survival of two strains of SARS coronavirus on a paper surface. One survived 4Ė5 days, the other for just 3 hours." The paper also covers virus cleaners that are effective and others that yield mixed results. Read it for more info if you wish.

Now, how long can the little Corona bastards live in a host? What can be a host? If they came from an animal vector, can your pet mouse living in the trailer basement keep them active for you? I don't have clue. I do know that nobody seems to be sure what the facts are yet yet all are offering them and without full scientific backing - Including me.

My best wishes for good health or a quick recovery to all.
Travel Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:07 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Pro View Post
The following is a quote from Medical News Today which carried info from a paper by Scientists from the Greifswald University Hospital and Ruhr-Universitšt Bochum, both in Germany, recently compiled information from 22 studies on coronaviruses.The link is:https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...ruses-persist?

"How long do coronaviruses persist?

My best wishes for good health or a quick recovery to all.
That's interesting. There are many coronavirus strains and there is great variability in their characteristics. The research that I cited above is specific to Covid-19. Although that is a preliminary report and may not be comprehensive, it suggests that viability of C-19 is shorter than the other viruses of that class. I think we'll know quite a bit more in the next few weeks.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:11 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
San Juan Capistrano , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
The Airstream used to isolate the Apollo crews is very different from anything on the road today. That unit was air tight and had a filtration system just like the LEM and the Command Capsule.
Unfortunately when they noticed ants coming in it was obviously not doing it's intended job.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...e-coronavirus/
grantb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:59 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Fort Collins , Colorado
The virus lives for about 3 days on hard surfaces so you can leave it to die off.
AbbyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:27 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Macomb , Illinois
Thumbs up Protecting My partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul journey View Post
I have been in isolation in my 25' Excella for 2 weeks and plan on staying here until this virus is under control. No, it doesn't have all the amities or comforts of living in my house, but it's amazing how survival skills kick in and you learn to adjust. My Airstream is parked in the driveway next to my house. I have a refrigerator and 2 freezers in my garage within a few shorts steps from the Airstream. Whenever I need food, I just get it from the garage. I simply cook meals on an induction plate, bake goods in a Cuisine portable oven, microwave as needed, and use an electric water kettle to make French press coffee. For heating, I use a Lasko portable heater that I bought from Costco a couple of months ago. I wipe down everything in the Airstream daily with Microban. All said, I've learned how to survive and overcome any challenges or inconveniences of living in a confined space.
My husband had cancer surgery back in late December. His immune system is still weak, and I wouldn't take the chance of him further compromising his immune system. I leave meals for him on the porch and we communicate via phone, email, text, and face time.
We all need to do our part and do whatever it takes to help contain the further spread of this deadly virus for the good of mankind.
God bless all.
My partner had a kidney transplant 7 years ago. He has a suppressed immune system. My airstream is still an aluminum tent. We are just saying home. Reading about everyone's adventures helps us get through this crazy time. God bless us all. there are new adventures when this is in our rear view mirror Thanks
DntheRoad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:24 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
Best wishes

Soul journey, your vigilance is admirable. You have what sounds like a very good, prudent system.

Covid-19 doesnít transfer well via food, unless the food goes in your nose or eyes. Iíve been disinfecting the hard surfaces on anything that moves into my house from the outside world. Iím sure youíve incorporated similar precautions in your system.

While we slowly stransfer from one Airstream to another, Iíve been calling the pair of them the Covid Capsules. Still, if my husband gets sick, Iíll assume Iím exposed already so I wonít isolate from him, unless new information indicates itís a best practice for some reason with this virus. I know people are doing it, but I donít understand the rationale.

Soul journey, your isolation to protect your spouse as prophylaxis makes total sense. Please keep posting. Iím sure your getting support, but you can get some here, as well. Best wishes to your family.

Helen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9F7DBD50-F979-4DB2-8C95-BF9FC5E7716C.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	363923  
perri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:29 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Central , Florida
We have a friend who is an RN at a local hospital, who said that tests have been done to determine the effectiveness of standard hospital room disinfection techniques. Supposedly, a room that had housed a positive COVID-19 patient was allowed to remain empty for several days and tested each day. They were still able to detect the virus in the room almost a week later.

Although similar to other viruses, the CDC has this to say about decontaminating protocols:

"At this time, there is no EPA-approved list of disinfectants effective against COVID-19. EPA does not categorize disinfectants as hospital- or commercial-grade or keep a list of EPA-registered antimicrobial products registered for use in healthcare facilities.

As a result, products effective at inactivating the virus must be determined based on data associated with inactivating similar or hardier (i.e., more difficult to inactivate) viruses.

COVID-19 is a coronavirus and highly susceptible to inactivation by many commonly used disinfectants. Currently, OSHA recommends following SARS disinfection practices (see section D-10 in the linked document) for environmental areas contaminated with COVID-19.

The CDC advises the use of EPA-registered chemical germicides that provide low or intermediate level disinfection for SARS during general use (surface and noncritical patient-care equipment) because these products inactivate related viruses with similar physical and biochemical properties.

CDC's Guideline for Disinfection and Sterilization in Healthcare Facilities, 2008 provides information on the effectiveness of germicides on coronaviruses."

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/covid-19/c...revention.html
Phil&Sher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:33 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
petaluma , California
Cruise ship data

I read this recently and it gave me pause...lots of variation in the data on how long this virus lives on surfaces. This study is apparently specific to Covid-19.
The report is obviously lacking in scientific rigor, but raises some caution flags for using your trailer for isolation unless you can leave it for some extended period after....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ns-for-17-days
airbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:09 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Would it be wrong to start coughing just as an excuse to go camping solo for a week or two?
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:02 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
A bit more information about the persistence of the virus. Below is a link to a CDC report about the cruise ship event. Also, here is a link to virucidal products that are recommend by the Center for Biocide Chemistries and American Chemistry Council.

cruise ship info

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/...Pyrsqs0swTtgb8

recommended virucidal products

https://www.americanchemistry.com/No...JTumjMNPpll9B0
Old 03-26-2020, 06:29 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Interesting and informative thread.

As you know, the FaN has been my driveway woman cave/sleep capsule since purchase. It has been especially reassuring of late.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:36 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantb4 View Post
Unfortunately when they noticed ants coming in it was obviously not doing it's intended job.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...e-coronavirus/

As a matter of fact, a tiny ant was useful in finding a water leak that I chased for months. For weeks, I'd get check and caulk possible spots, then place paper towels on the floor and hose the trailer down, only to find wet spots on the towels. Then one hot day I was up on the roof and noticed a tiny harvester ant and wondered where it came from. So I tapped on the roof next to it and watched it scurry straight under the end of the awning rail. So after a thorough cleaning and a dab of caulk on the underside of the rail, the leak was stopped.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:25 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
Dropped a gem, Bob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blarney View Post
As a matter of fact, a tiny ant was useful in finding a water leak that I chased for months. For weeks, I'd get check and caulk possible spots, then place paper towels on the floor and hose the trailer down, only to find wet spots on the towels. Then one hot day I was up on the roof and noticed a tiny harvester ant and wondered where it came from. So I tapped on the roof next to it and watched it scurry straight under the end of the awning rail. So after a thorough cleaning and a dab of caulk on the underside of the rail, the leak was stopped.
One of the posts that keep me hanging around this forum. 👍🏿
perri is offline   Reply With Quote