Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2020, 06:56 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Still camp at the same place. When you check they will take your temperature at the entrance to the lobby and request a mask be worn inside. They limit the # of people inside but as mentioned that was not an issue. They had no problem with me bringing my lunch to the lobby to eat.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:15 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
We will be there next Thursday and Fri, never been before. I was curious about your lunch. I assume the fridge has to be empty or can you leave that full? Did you bring a cooler for lunch?
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:23 AM   #23
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilPeanut View Post
We will be there next Thursday and Fri, never been before. I was curious about your lunch. I assume the fridge has to be empty or can you leave that full? Did you bring a cooler for lunch?
Unless something has changed in their policy...

The refrigerator in your trailer will switch over to propane (if so equipped). Additionally, they plug in the shore power while the rig is being worked on. You can certainly ask them to plug in your cord if you want to remind them. We've had work performed several times over the years and never had a need to empty the refrigerator. We made our lunch in advance and took anything we needed from the trailer with us for the day.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:16 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Have you called them and asked about their current practices, in light of the virus and the new facility?

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:36 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
I had my cooler in the bed of my pickup. I made my lunch the night before and just put it in the cooler in the morning. One day the weather was cooler and I ate on a picnic table at the far back of the Tera Port. Your refrigerator will stay cool as they plug it into electric and will switch over to batteries if they have to move it outside.

As noted by the OP access to the service bays is more restricted so I just planned on not being able to access it. The Hideout is open for lunch as an option if you trust that.

Took my portable bike and took some rides on the cooler day.

When I got home I did a search and saw the Dayton Air Museum is open as well as the Neil Armstrong one (with restricted hours). Warren Harding Museum is closed for renovations.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:22 AM   #26
MSL
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
Where Do You Stay

Dumb question, but what are the overnight options when you're at JC? Can you stay in your trailer on their grounds when they're not working on it?
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:04 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Box Elder , South Dakota
You could pack a lunch and visit some of the nice area parks. I don't know what the weather is doing though.
DebH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:17 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL View Post
Dumb question, but what are the overnight options when you're at JC? Can you stay in your trailer on their grounds when they're not working on it?
Overnight options you stay in your trailer in the terraport with full hookups minus cable.

It is treated as a campground by the state and as long as they are open by the gov, then you'll have no issues staying in your trailer as long as your repairs don't rip out your bed etc etc.

We stayed in ours all week as they didn't have to remove our overhead locker to find the additional water leak.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:15 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Comox , British Columbia
[QUOTE=kittmaster;2389373
Wearing a mask indoors for 8 hours is something that is required. They take your temperature and have you fill out a contact tracing form.

. I don't want to be here for 5 days wearing this stupid mask..:[/QUOTE]

Why sit inside the lobby for 8 hours a day? Why not go to a local park and enjoy the fresh air? If they want to talk to you they will call.
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:06 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
We are here M-F to have a bunch of repairs done. The lounge and terraport are open.

Why this thread? To report that basically no one is here. There are the 2 girls at the desk....which is all most completely blocked off by Plexiglas. There were multiple people here at 7AM to drop off their trailer but only my wife and I remain behind with a single other person in the lounge.

Wearing a mask indoors for 8 hours is something that is required. They take your temperature and have you fill out a contact tracing form.

You can't go into the work area unless called upon my the technician.....

It is a stark contrast from exactly a year ago to where I could chit chat with the techs and gain some knowledge........not this year......lounge city....I am hoping they fix it in a shorter period of time. I don't want to be here for 5 days wearing this stupid mask......

Covid........You are hated....that is all.

We have an appointment for the week of August 10th. We have booked a hotel do we would have a place to be. But I am concerned about Covid. Is it safer in a hotel room or in my trailer that has technicians working in it every day? I can’t decide.
ajwbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:33 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwbarnard View Post
We have an appointment for the week of August 10th. We have booked a hotel do we would have a place to be. But I am concerned about Covid. Is it safer in a hotel room or in my trailer that has technicians working in it every day? I can’t decide.
We are of the opinion the single tech working on your unit is safer than a hotel where people are in and out. Only you will know what is best for you.

Wife wiped down the trailer when we returned each night for added layer of security....

They are very conscience of the virus and take it seriously from what I saw, so to me, nix the hotel and stay in your trailer.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:33 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwbarnard View Post
What do you think? Hotel with many guests and lobby and maids or one technician in your trailer. They wipe down everything I've been told. Just got back from there.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:35 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerngirl View Post
Why sit inside the lobby for 8 hours a day? Why not go to a local park and enjoy the fresh air? If they want to talk to you they will call.
It was hot and humid, and, there were times that being there directly solved some issues that would have delayed our departure.

No place to go to the bathroom.......nah....sucked it up in the lounge...it wasn't a vacation and we treated as such.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:32 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
It was hot and humid, and, there were times that being there directly solved some issues that would have delayed our departure.

No place to go to the bathroom.......nah....sucked it up in the lounge...it wasn't a vacation and we treated as such.
I was there at the same time as Kittmaster and pretty much fall into the same opinion. Depending on what you are having done you may want to consider being available as chances are they won't call you and will just let you know at the end of the day what the status is. I was there for 2 days and had a significant item, (to me), being addressed so I mostly hung around when I knew that item was being addressed.

I was also there for 3 days at the same time as last year. I had already seen the museums I wanted to see and took a factory tour. It's not like you are in the middle of a major tourist area with a whole lot of options. If you want to do some site seeing I would check ahead of time to see what is open as Covid may affect you being able to do what you are planning to do. It was a totally different environment due to Covid this year. I thought the staff was patient and professional, as usual. It's just different with Covid.

Having said that, I did pack my bike and did some riding around town to pass some time. there is WiFi available in the lobby of the Service Center.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:09 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
We were here last Friday and we’re back again Monday.

I know what you mean about JC feeling different. No tours new factory not open. I felt bad a couple with kids pulled in I think they expected a tour and something different. They stayed overnight and gone.

We Live Riveted here ! Yes our trailer has AFSD very BAD !!! Airstream Factory Separation Anxiety. It refuses to travel just breaks.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:38 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
I know what you mean about JC feeling different. No tours new factory not open.
Actually the new factory is open, but no tours of either building due to the pandemic.

The lot over there was full with employee cars and the JC staff verified both factories were operating.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:32 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Correct

Correct was referring to the welcome center museum and tours.

Quote:
Actually the new factory is open, but no tours of either building due to the pandemic.

The lot over there was full with employee cars and the JC staff verified both factories were operating.

Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:35 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
Correct was referring to the welcome center museum and tours.
Ah missed it....sorry...
Old 08-07-2020, 09:41 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
They ‘fog’ your trailer for COVID when they get it to the repair bay and before they return it. I feel it is rather safe all things considered. Distancing is practiced in town, they take your temp and you answer questions about exposure before you enter the service center. I don’t know what they could do to make it better.
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:35 AM   #40
Pbfec

2019 25' Flying Cloud
jupiter , Florida
I was just there with my 2019 FC 25 for a stationary window replacement as it had a stress crack in frame and missing caulking . owned 4 months before the rains came in Florida and I realized i has a major leak.
All fixed along with some other small things. Had them pull couches out to confirm no wood damage. i was lucky.
hot as hell in JC Ohio!
pbfec1 is offline   Reply With Quote