Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 04:28 AM   #21
Weareroadready

2020 25' International
Freeport , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind View Post
We are preparing to get back on the road again. I've heard that there are some challenges to touring the country during the pandemic.

I would appreciate input about what you are encountering and advice on how to successfully navigate the "new normal" in an Airstream.

Honestly the new norm for now is mask up stay home stay safe . There are many states that are asking ppl from states like Cal, AZ , FL (to name a few) to self quarantine before entering their state.
The state parks are “extremely “ limited in amenities.
If you “have to travel”... the suggestions are
Don’t use Public restrooms or restaurants & do not gather in crowds of more than 10 ppl w a distance of 6 ‘ apart & as u know simply wear a mask.
(I’m a nurse & carry a picture of a pt on a vent in a room full of colleagues downed in PPE) if I see anyone w / out a mask I have no issues sharing it.
We hit the road in May & for us so many parks are closed because of others not doing the right thing we stopped altogether for now. Stay Safe & easy does it
Old 08-13-2020, 08:13 AM   #22

2020 20' Bambi
Rochester , Michigan
Interesting thread with lots of useful information! I wonder if anybody has made experience recently traveling through Vermont and Maine. I'm reading both states require 14 day self quarantine unless you are a local or you are a New Hampshire resident. How are they going to enforce this? Are states controlling based on your car/trailers license plate?

Has anybody advise how to go about this situation? We are planning to go the first two weeks in October.

Thanks in advance for your input
Old 08-13-2020, 08:22 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My suggestion...

Don’t worry about how they are going to enforce a 14 day quarantine, just comply with it and be prepared to speak coherently to your compliance.

The suggestion about the dump stations is excellent, and not something I had heard before.

Maggie
Old 08-13-2020, 09:02 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Myrtle Point , OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
. . . . do NOT go without your mask! There is mounting evidence that this virus is spread primarily on airborne particles of mucus. Stay away from smaller enclosed spaces (outfits of small physical dimension); limit your proximity to others, of course; use your prophylactic device (masks are the most usual); and limit your duration of exposure. Probably the worst thing you could do would be to go into a small restaurant with ventilation just sufficient to keep it comfortable, sit down, and have a nice, leisurely meal without a mask. (God, do I miss doing just that, or what!?! But nothing to do about it.)

Here's the summary article:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02058-1

Lynn
My cautionary thoughts:

Masks are effective, but are not for protection of the wearer. It is my belief (yours may be different) that they are intended to prevent the wearer from contaminating the air should he/she be infected (knowingly or unknowingly) with the Covid virus.

The inherent danger of mask use lies in the false sense of security they impart. Wear a mask, if that makes you feel less vulnerable, but don't let the mask be your sole preventive measure. Of more importance is frequent hand washing or hand sanitizer use, not touching your mouth/eyes, avoiding crowded indoor venues, and staying home if you are not feeling well.

Observe safe practices, but continue to enjoy the things you love doing.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:13 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Travel w COVID

Finding food can be difficult in rural or remote areas, even along the interstates. Many grocery stores now work only one shift and close early, some at 5 or 6 pm. Truckers also having problems since many restaurants only have "to go" meals, and the truckers need to log certain number of non-driving hours each day. Worse yet for RV's and trucks is that the few places that may be open are fast food, yet their lobby is closed and they only offer drive thru lane service. Cant get an eighteen wheeler or normal RV thru their narrow drive thru aisle.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:27 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoasteng View Post
Finding food can be difficult in rural or remote areas, even along the interstates. Many grocery stores now work only one shift and close early, some at 5 or 6 pm. Truckers also having problems since many restaurants only have "to go" meals, and the truckers need to log certain number of non-driving hours each day. Worse yet for RV's and trucks is that the few places that may be open are fast food, yet their lobby is closed and they only offer drive thru lane service. Cant get an eighteen wheeler or normal RV thru their narrow drive thru aisle.
That may be true in some areas. Over the last 2 months (over 9000 miles), we travelled extensively in rural (a few remote) areas in CO, NE, WY, SD, UT, TX, & OK. The only trouble we had finding supplies was when crossing the Navajo Nation on our way through (going from UT to NM) which was pretty much shut down and understandably so. You could barely get fuel and only with a card at the pump. You are right about many places closing early for the day. We had best luck with the small mom & pop grocery stores/gas stations in small towns that are still hurting for business. Be smart and safe, which you can do on the road. Many campgrounds were only taking reservations/payments online or over the phone, meaning you never had to interact with anyone in person. Finally back home in MD.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:34 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Mars , Pennsylvania
I applaud the use of gloves but be careful. They don't substitute for sanitizing objects and yourself. If COVID gets on your glove its contaminated. If you touch your face with your contaminated glove you can get infected. Its almost like wearing no glove at all.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:49 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Using gloves religiously [early AM before leaving the house/trailer], and having clean gloves in the tow vehicle for instantaneous replacement of possibly-contaminated gloves [gas pump handles, store door knobs, etc.], is a good additional level of "health insurance" IMO. The back of our van TV has a "medical station" with bottles of alcohol, paper towels, bleach wipes, new gloves, trash bag, etc.. Nearby is a travel first aid kit for emergency control of cuts etc..

Endeavor never to touch anything, without having gloves on.

Redundancy is a good thing.

Happy trails,
Old 09-29-2020, 10:03 PM   #29

2020 30' Flying Cloud
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Dallas , Texas
We are also traveling to Southern Colorado and all I can say is just wear mask where ever you go and try not to go to crowded places.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:50 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Newport Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind View Post
We are preparing to get back on the road again. I've heard that there are some challenges to touring the country during the pandemic.

I would appreciate input about what you are encountering and advice on how to successfully navigate the "new normal" in an Airstream.

I started in California end of July and moved through 7 states in 60 days. Any Indian reservation property sites are closed: ie navajo nation. No sign of when they will reopen.

As for all the states I have passed through camping is open. Some of the attractions are not, like group tours, small shops, etc. Reserve online or by phone and pay in advance. Wear a mask everywhere you go whether you believe it or need it or not, especially since it is hard to keep up on every states laws. I go to sites with full hook ups to limit my exposure to lines and unknown sanitation practices.

People are tired of being isolated. Everyone I have met on the road has been very welcoming and friendly.

Honestly it is a common sense issue. Follow your gut, use your common sense. That has always been the RV lifestyle thing anyway and that hasn’t changed because of covid. You will still be fine. Have a great time out there [emoji3]
Old 09-30-2020, 05:48 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I have this in the door cup holders of my truck.

1 water bottle with a spray mister attached to it
1 water bottle with the top cut off-and a half bar of soap in it
1 flattened roll of paper towels.

Sanitizer is appropriate -- but hand washing is always better.
I have some allergies that gave me terrible skin reactions from the hand sanitizers.

So now I can wash my hands after grocery shopping, gas, etc before getting into my truck.

I also carry a small bar of soap in my purse for use when I may need to wash my hands other places.

Piggy Bank
Old 09-30-2020, 06:16 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Using gloves religiously [early AM before leaving the house/trailer], and having clean gloves in the tow vehicle for instantaneous replacement of possibly-contaminated gloves [gas pump handles, store door knobs, etc.], is a good additional level of "health insurance" IMO. The back of our van TV has a "medical station" with bottles of alcohol, paper towels, bleach wipes, new gloves, trash bag, etc.. Nearby is a travel first aid kit for emergency control of cuts etc..

Endeavor never to touch anything, without having gloves on.

Happy trails,
You don't need gloves, your skin is a perfectly good barrier against COVID. Wash your hands.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:02 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Good posts, people may have somewhat different methods of slowing transmission, and protecting themselves, family, community.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:52 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
You don't need gloves, your skin is a perfectly good barrier against COVID. Wash your hands.
Aren't you assuming that the location accommodates washing hands carefully?

For instance, what about an absolutely filthy gas pump handle, at night, in the middle of nowhere, with no rest room sink available for washing up? [with or without Covid contamination]

Why not toss out, carefully, the sacrificial gloves and proceed with absolutely clean hands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . .
. . .
Old 09-30-2020, 12:21 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:

If you have superficial scratches, scrapes or cuts on your hands that can lead to exposure. I always use throw away gloves to pump gas and carry alcohol spray after touching doorknobs and other high traffic surfaces.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:14 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Since I don't have a sink on my hip I will wear disposal gloves, use sanitizer and wash hands when available.

Not all at the same same.

Minimizing what we all touch doesn't hurt.

Hittenstiehl
Old 09-30-2020, 04:47 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
If you have superficial scratches, scrapes or cuts on your hands that can lead to exposure. I always use throw away gloves to pump gas and carry alcohol spray after touching doorknobs and other high traffic surfaces.
More likely to win the lotto 6 weeks in a row.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:56 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:

I don’t gamble[emoji846]
Old 09-30-2020, 08:55 PM   #39
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
If you don't want to be careful, that's on you and those within your bubble.

However, don't try to make yourself feel better about your choices by attempting to convince me to adopt your relatively carefree approach. That's not gonna happen.

Airstream on, my friends, keep on 'streaming.

Old 10-03-2020, 10:08 AM   #40

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
This thread is closed.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Closed Thread