Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2020, 05:58 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
RVs 4 MDs - support medical staff

I don't see this mentioned in any previous thread, so here is a link to the Facebook group that is matching medical personnel with motorhomes and trailers so that they can be safely segregated from their families as they work - but still remain close by.

And here is yesterday's CNN article on this quickly-developing phenomenon.

It would be neat to see how Airstreams could figure into this equation. It would also be useful to have a thread for accumulating bits of wisdom on the logistics of these transactions. For instance, it's going to involve training RV newbies on the fly, getting them access to power and dumping facilities, the eventual cleaning and disinfection that will be required once the COVID-19 crisis is brought under control, etc. etc.

So, is anyone on Airforums thinking about participating in this movement? If so, please share your stories here.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It’s a laudable idea, but would be difficult for many reasons to implement on a large scale, in my opinion.

I have read that many hotels have opened up their empty rooms to first responders who need to isolate from their families.

Maggie
Old 04-02-2020, 07:46 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I think the hotel idea would be a much better solution. Most hospitals have a partnership with a nearby hotel for family housing when a family member is sick.

Hospital parking lots are not setup for RVs. After a very short time these trailers will need to be charged, filled and dumped.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I think the hotel idea would be a much better solution. Most hospitals have a partnership with a nearby hotel for family housing when a family member is sick.

Hospital parking lots are not setup for RVs. After a very short time these trailers will need to be charged, filled and dumped.
This is not about hospital provision as much as it is about peripheral support logistics. In other words, the effort is largely about providing RVs in locations other than at hospitals - for instance, at personal residences. That way, there can still be exchange at the medical worker's house (prepared meals, clean clothes, socially-distanced contact with children, etc.) without a high risk of family exposure.

This pandemic will continue for months. Even if a medical person is provided with space in a hotel, they are still going to need access to their own homes and resources over such a long period of time, for morale as well as logistical reasons. For many of them, driveway camping would be far more desirable than a hotel. I know it would be for me, hands down.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:18 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
2012 28' Flying Cloud
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Due to issues of insurance liability, lack of control, lack of RV knowledge we choose not to participate. But, we are reaching out to family and friends to identify individuals they know personally where we could park our two trailers at their homes if they are in need. I would just be so much more comfortable in that situation.
ChuckZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
One could pitch a tent in their back yard and with sleeping bag and air mattress accomplish the same thing...without needing to train a non RV’er on systems, dump tanks periodically, disinfect an RV after it was used for such purposes, etc.

Not to mention the insurance and liability issues.

All of the above activities would also require a fair amount of movement about and interaction when we are required to do the exact opposite.

This pandemic is a terrible situation, and we all need to find ways we can help, but I’m with ChuckZ in that offering up my Interstate for that kind of use is not something I can do.

While it seems aspirational, it does not seem realistic.

Good luck, IB, and stay safe.

Maggie
Old 04-02-2020, 11:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
One could pitch a tent in their back yard and with sleeping bag and air mattress accomplish the same thing......
Toilet?

Sink / shower?

Refrigerator?
Old 04-02-2020, 11:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckZ View Post
Due to issues of insurance liability, lack of control, lack of RV knowledge we choose not to participate. ....
Very valid points. From what I understand, the group has volunteer attorneys who are working on the very real liability issues. Subrogation needs to be managed carefully.

We would not do this personally (lend our rig) if the transaction involved an unknown party, due to the complexity of our DIY systems. Accidental mismanagement of our lithium system could lead to injury, death, massive financial losses, or some combination of those.

However, I can think of one medical doctor, a personal friend, with whom I might work something out if conditions warranted it.

More than likely, though, it would be ME using our rig in the response context as a base of operations of some kind, as a volunteer in some appropriate capacity.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Toilet?

Sink / shower?

Refrigerator?
You wouldn’t have to have a refrigerator, sink, shower or toilet in the traditional sense of the word, but we all know of workarounds for those things.

There are stories every day of medical personnel and how they effectively handle their family situation, to keep their loved ones safe.

Some strip outside and head directly for the shower, some have sent their families away, many self isolate within their home.

Maggie
Old 04-02-2020, 03:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Here's an article that talks about what one RV dealer east of Toronto has offered.
Coronavirus: Clarington company offers Durham hospitals RVs for workers to live in between shifts

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:27 PM   #11
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
It's a wonderful idea in spirit, and we'd love to help, but if someone with no RV knowledge or experience who is fully exhausted after just trying to get through the incredible stress of working on the front lines for a 12-hour shift were to try to live in our RV, take showers, use the toilet, and so on, in no time at all Rocinante would become a disaster area in need of expensive, intensive care to repair everything they had unintentionally damaged or destroyed. A nearby suite-style hotel would be a far better option. Nothing new to learn or figure out, and everything works exactly the way they would expect it to.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:24 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Another neat story of people making this idea work:

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1934321#1934321
Old 04-08-2020, 06:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Another story about how RVs are being used as housing to assist medical workers and other essential employees. Earlier it was mentioned that hotels would be a better option. I'm sure they are for some, but others need to be near their families or at their workplace.

Ontario RV owners are lending their motorhomes for doctors and nurses in need of a place to self-isolate amid COVID-19

Old 04-12-2020, 04:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This group was a story on CBS news tonight.

They have made 200 matches of owners and medical personnel.

Maggie
Old 04-15-2020, 11:31 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bettendorf , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Toilet?

Sink / shower?

Refrigerator?
Perfect response.....
Rltports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Congratulations to Kirk Thomson and Can-Am RV in London, ON for their support of medical personal by providing free RVs. They were featured tonight as part of Stronger Together, Tous Ensemble, a national television program celebrating Canada's first responders and raising money for Canadian Food Banks. Kirk and one of the nurses Can-Am supported with a trailer appeared in a short clip on the program. The trailer allows this nurse to remain close to her family while protecting the health of her son who has asthma.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
Congratulations to Kirk Thomson and Can-Am RV in London, ON for their support of medical personal by providing free RVs. They were featured tonight as part of Stronger Together, Tous Ensemble, a national television program celebrating Canada's first responders and raising money for Canadian Food Banks. Kirk and one of the nurses Can-Am supported with a trailer appeared in a short clip on the program. The trailer allows this nurse to remain close to her family while protecting the health of her son who has asthma.
Thanks for posting this.
I was just watching the taped show,and I was so proud of those guys delivering many RV's to first responders so they can self isolate from their families while they do their critical work for our Covid-19 affected in hospitals.
Thanks Can-Am. So proud to be a Canadian where the whole country pulls together at a time like this.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote