Old 03-17-2020, 04:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
Rv park closings

As of today Florida state parks are closed.

Out of an abundance of caution, all events, activities, special event reservations, pavilion rentals and camping/cabin reservations at Florida State Parks have been canceled for the next 60 days. Florida State Parks remain open for day use; however, hours of operation have been reduced to 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

I received a phone call just now. We will get a full refund. We had planed to travel South from Ohio March 22 though the 30.

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 05:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
Makes no sense. So we are going to just close up everything for 60 days? Not even remotely plausible to do.

Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 05:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
Rv park closings

Florida State parks can close. Look at the governments shut down of the past. They had National Guards at the gates. I assume they will reevaluate things as time goes on. They may extend the closings.

I chose America
Old 03-17-2020, 05:59 PM   #4
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
There is no reason to count on this being clear in 60 days.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 06:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
What I think they are doing is forcing social distancing. They don’t want to many getting sick at once and overwhelming the hospitals.

I chose America
Old 03-17-2020, 06:10 PM   #6
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I don't think snowbirds are as likely to be in the state park campgrounds, but all Canadians in the US have been advised to return to Canada now while they can do so.

That may open up some spaces for locals.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:17 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
What I think they are doing is forcing social distancing. They don’t want to many getting sick at once and overwhelming the hospitals.
Yes, I think you are correct. Officials are trying to "flatten the curve" of infections from a high spike (overwhelming the hospitals and medical workers) to a much lower and spread-out curve which would allow adequate treatment for everyone. Makes sense to me, and thank goodness someone is thinking about this.

I plan to shelter in place and hope for the best (that I survive [being 74 and with asthma] this "plague" and can go camping next summer).
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 06:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
New Mexico state parks are closed.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Ohio and California have done the same thing. Closed all the state parks.

Ohio has also closed just about everything.

Our Google images and chat: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CMQbpNXQwapMnj8t9
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 06:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Death Valley Campgrounds Closed

On March 18 at noon, Furnace Creek, Mesquite Spring, Texas Springs, and Emigrant campgrounds will close. Stovepipe Wells and Sunset campgrounds will close March 19. This is due to shortage of CDC recommended PPE to protect custodians from COVID-19 spread.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 06:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
As of today Florida state parks are closed.

Out of an abundance of caution, all events, activities, special event reservations, pavilion rentals and camping/cabin reservations at Florida State Parks have been canceled for the next 60 days. Florida State Parks remain open for day use; however, hours of operation have been reduced to 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

I received a phone call just now. We will get a full refund. We had planed to travel South from Ohio March 22 though the 30.
I recommend not coming to FL.
I'm in central FL now, about 70-80 miles south of Orlando. Even though there is no Corona nearby, I'm leaving ASAP heading north for home. No fun here now, but there is a lot of peace and quiet. Our park has closed the clubhouse, suspended organized activities, suspended planned gatherings, and locked the pool fence gates. Contact is limited to visiting between neighbors. People are leaving for home.
Our local grocery stores' parking lots look like Christmas shopping is going on, over crowded. By mid day some items are not in stock (dried beans, pasta, cleaning supplies, etc.) and some OTC medicines are gone too. But, they are being replenished daily.
Panic seems to be setting in! It seems like people are reenacting the folk tale Henny Penny (or Chicken Little) mass hysteria, the sky is falling ….
https://youtu.be/5DtB2f-YlbA
Old 03-17-2020, 06:40 PM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
If one is looking to minimize the possibility of spreading covid-19, it would make much more sense to close hotels than to close state parks. One large hotel can have many more out-of-town and/or out-of-state visitors as an entire State Park, all crammed into one building, and with no in-room food preparation other than the minibar and a coffeepot so the visitors can't really isolate themselves in their rooms the way RVers can isolate themselves at their campsites. But hotels have owners that expect to turn a profit and would scream bloody murder if anyone suggested closing them. State Parks don't, which makes the parks an easy target for the powers-that-be who need to be seen to be doing something, rather than be seen to be doing nothing.

But this post is not meant to be a political rant, so allow me to offer an alternative to closed State and National Parks— Corps of Engineers parks are still open, generally, and are present in 44 of our 50 states. CoE parks' visitor centers and pavilions are mostly closed due to coronavirus, but with few exceptions the campsites and day-use areas are open.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
Well, trying to make something positive from this, many of the Florida state parks are still decimated from Hurricane Michael. I would hope that the parks department takes this opportunity to work on them, with all proper social distancing protocols. BTW, in February I stayed in two different Florida state parks, and even including the rangers, never came within 50 feet of another human. Personally I think this is an overreaction, but that is just me.
WBCCI #6679
In Tucson, Arizona, will hold in place till the pandemic is more under control, then PNW/Canada
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 06:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Protag: I think closings are catching on in COE parks as well. Friends were just told theirs is closing tomorrow, minutes after the ranger told them it was "day to day". Sounds like he just got the word.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 06:51 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Easton , Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania State Parks now closed for next 2 weeks. Same guidance as New Mexico. Daytime use and access permitted, but no overnight camping.
VeloBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 06:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
Again this is ridiculous. I was a caretaker in an apartment building while in graduate school. There is far more mingling in an apartment building than on a campground. Will they close those as well?
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 07:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If one is looking to minimize the possibility of spreading covid-19, it would make much more sense to close hotels than to close state parks. One large hotel can have many more out-of-town and/or out-of-state visitors as an entire State Park, all crammed into one building, and with no in-room food preparation other than the minibar and a coffeepot so the visitors can't really isolate themselves in their rooms the way RVers can isolate themselves at their campsites. But hotels have owners that expect to turn a profit and would scream bloody murder if anyone suggested closing them. State Parks don't, which makes the parks an easy target for the powers-that-be who need to be seen to be doing something, rather than be seen to be doing nothing.

But this post is not meant to be a political rant, so allow me to offer an alternative to closed State and National Parks— Corps of Engineers parks are still open, generally, and are present in 44 of our 50 states. CoE parks' visitor centers and pavilions are mostly closed due to coronavirus, but with few exceptions the campsites and day-use areas are open.
Maybe, but.... think of those that are away from home. Examples:
Those hundreds of thousands of senior citizen snow birds who are not campers, especially those Canadians that are required to leave by a specific date, have to stay somewhere on their way home. I travel two days. Many travel three or four days. That migration is in full swing right now.
The truck driver that brings our food, drugs, and provisions has to sleep somewhere too. All of them do not have sleepers.

ps:
This really concerns me personally because I will be one of those staying in a motel this week. I am concerned about the actions of panicked people, not about catching the Corona virus. Overall survival rate of those who have had the virus is higher than 99%.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
That what Walmart’s parking lot are for.

I chose America
Old 03-17-2020, 07:13 PM   #19
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Again this is ridiculous. I was a caretaker in an apartment building while in graduate school. There is far more mingling in an apartment building than on a campground. Will they close those as well?
I live in a strata with just under 150 owners. We have a 24/7 concierge but have instructions not to visit them. They receive packages. Maintenance staff are classified as non essential so are to remain at home. Not sure if garbage collection will be impacted as city staff have been moved to essential services only. All schools have been closed and aren’t expected to reopen before Sept. School buildings are being set up as daycare providers for EMTs and health care worker families only. Major chains stores have closed. All bars and lounges are closed by order of the provincial health officer. Restaurants may only remain open if they can provide minimum spacing between patrons. Many stores that are still open do not accept cash due to transmission concerns. This is what is coming. It isn’t panic, things are very calm. It is a rapidly escalating response to a crisis.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
What is the location of your strata?

I chose America