Old 07-11-2020, 10:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
(Pandemic) Your favorite packaged foods still for sale?

Gauntlet time:

For those of you who are traveling right now and have been stocking your rigs accordingly, can you please list some of the packaged products that you really like taste- and quality-wise, AND that can still be bought with our pandemic-related shortages?

There's no shortage of packaged foods generally, but I typically eat very few of them (most are mass-produced, poor quality, and taste like dung). Now I'm looking for alternatives given that so many of my regular go-to products have disappeared. I've listed just a few in this image.

TIA.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
These should be available and are a staple:
Attached Images

PB_NB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Coincidentally, from the Wall Street Journal this morning (image below).

Again, at this point, the issue is not the absolute availability of packaged food - it's the relative availability of better-quality food.

I miss the days of real delicatessens, which used to sell exotic imported packaged foods in jars and tins along with the typical fresh offerings on the sandwich counter. When we were tiny kids, we made deli trips into a game - my father would say, "Let's go down to the deli and find something that we've never even heard of before, and try it." I have vivid memories of discovering octopus canned much like the more familiar sardines. I was thunderstruck - people actually eat octopus?! We tried it, and I loved it. I still crave octopus today, which in Houston we call pulpo (Spanish).

When mainstream grocery stores diversified to carry more than the same old boring meat 'n' potatoes type inventory, they put every real deli out of business. There are still some businesses that use the term in their name, but they are just glorified lunch counters. At least that's true in my area - perhaps in older urban areas like New York, the real deal may still survive.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Spam. Especially Spam with Bacon, are the ne plus ultra of emergency rations in all cases. Anthropologists in the 25th century, digging in ancient ruins will occasionally find an unopened can and simply reach for the crackers...

Rice is also excellent. We have 20# stored in vacuum bags along with dried beans.

While I loathe it, the spousal unit has two huge cans of Gatorade powder standing by.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I buy dehydrated veggies from Harmony house and I'll add them to ramen. I could almost be labelled vegetarian but I am not. I also buy the Indian packets by Tasty Bite at Costco. The lentils are ready in 1 minute in microwave, good with rice. The lentils taste like chili....pretty good. I also make my own granola with lots of seeds and dried fruit. And I carry chia bars I order from Amazon. I also make my own instant oatmeal. For meat, if I'm using my freezer, I go with chicken or shrimp. Costco also has a chicken fried rice I like in freezer section and I'll add extra frozen veggies to that. There is also a pancake mix that has extra protein and is just mixed with water. My biggest deal is beverages. I drink a lot of water but I need variety....i buy the Aldi flavored sparkling water, carry instant iced tea mix, zip fizz from Costco and Bai Antioxidant drinks. I try to keep it healthy. Obviously don't have to worry about gluten. Almost always carry eggs. Click image for larger version

Name:	1594565466159.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	372646Click image for larger version

Name:	1594565556077.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	372647Click image for larger version

Name:	1594565840941.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	372648
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
With a bag of rice, lentils, potatoes, curry spices and some veggies, you could feed an army for next to nothing. These are usually items that can be found in ethnic stores or isles in the big box stores. Add a bit of chicken or fish and you can eat for a while if you freeze the left overs.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:35 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Spam!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160823_183748400_HDR.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	383.1 KB
ID:	372662  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:02 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
Ramen and dried vegetables sounds like a really great idea. Thanks for passing that along.
WBCCI #6826
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
(Pandemic) Your favorite packaged foods still for sale?

Or the Southern hunting/camping staple, Vienna Sausages in a can?

(Shudder...Id rather carry MREs even as bad as they can be.)
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:02 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
We always keep the following non-perishable pantry items on hand at home and store in Airstream for most trips:
* Tuna pouches, Salmon pouches
* Bear Creek Dry Soup Mixes ( adding protein makes them
even better)
* King Arthur Baking Mixes (breads, quick breads, desserts)
* Pesto, Sundried Tomatoes, Trader Jos Grilled Artichokes,
organic Black Beans, assorted dried beans, Frontera
Mexican sauces ( Taco, Fajita, Enchilada, Carne Asada),
pasta ( orzo, penne, and many others)
* Dried fruit, Nuts
* Always have two batches homemade granola on hand
and ingredients to make more
* Freezer- I concentrate compact high quality protein:
chicken tenders, 1# pkgs. ground beef & pork/sausage,
wild salmon filets, black cod, wild shrimp in shells,
boneless pork tenderloins, bacon, Canadian bacon
* Agree with Interblogger, enjoy new & different shelf stable
speciality foods/condiments-pickles, sausages, cheeses
* Ingredients for homemade pizza always on hand

Disappointed to learn Foodsaver bags are scarce. Recently, purchased Grove Brand of Stasher bags...maybe theyll replace foodsaver until back in stock.

We just traveled cross country to finally move into a home we purchased last summer. We traveled sans Airstream as it was parked next to our Nevada home. Was somewhat panic stricken to have to travel 2650 miles without our Airstream but we made it safely. Were still unsure as to wether well camp this year. But since were in our new happy place with backyard views of snow capped Sierras and 22 m8les from our favorite dog friendly beach at Lake Tahoe....were okay with waiting a bit to camp.

Happy travels everyone venturing out this summer.
Stay safe,
FCloud9
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:50 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Reed Point , Montana
Box Wine........!
Bigskyrider8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Good beer in bottles or cans in a pinch?
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
How big of a box are we talking about? I need to factor the extra wine load into my WDH setup.

I think I can toss the spam and make more room for more boxes of wine
Old 07-12-2020, 11:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Foods in Tetra Paks are very stable and often nutritious.

Some of the ones in my pantry are foods from Simply Balanced, Imagine Foods and Pacific Foods. Things like Beans, Broths, Soups, Nektar juices, Tomato Sauces, Milk, Cheese.

The Artisan soups and Bertolli sauces I've recently seen but haven't tried yet.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Foods in Tetra Paks are very stable and often nutritious.
Agreed. But my favorite one, which is the Jordanian hummus I showed in the opening post, is sold out, with no re-stocking projected. It may be years before that product returns to the North American market.

Many (most?) such products are sold out. Products that are shelf-stable and nutritious have been snapped up by preppers.

Some product lineages are still available, but only the less-desirable variants within those lineages. Mountain House backpacking meals, for instance. They can still be bought, but the best ones are sold out nationally (e.g., beef teriyaki, which experienced buyers *know* is their best product), with only vague promises for some future restocking:

Hence this thread and it's "still for sale" focus. I'm not looking for generic product recommendations. I'm looking for, "I could not buy my regular, so I tried Brand X instead, and it was surprisingly good".

Here's an example - good crackers are often sold out these days, with only the more obscure offerings remaining on the shelves. I bought this brand below a few days ago, which I have never tried. It will either be edible, or it will taste like absolute dung, to the point where I utter an oath and toss the whole box onto the camp fire after going through the trouble to drag it 3,000 miles over the road.

To the extent possible, I would rather avoid that scenario. One way to do that is to get specific brand recommendations. Some of this is a matter of personal taste, sure, but people are surprisingly effective at converging on the best products, the ones that the majority agree are good. Hence the complete absence of Jordanian hummus and Mountain House beef teriyaki and a multitude of other products from the market.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:17 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
... the Indian packets by Tasty Bite at Costco. .....
That is an interesting product I have not heard of, and it IS still available for sale. Amazon has a variety pack of 10 for $35, which is reasonable. And the reviews are decent - 80% 4 star or 5 star. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2020, 07:21 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Or the Southern hunting/camping staple, Vienna Sausages in a can?

(Shudder...Id rather carry MREs even as bad as they can be.)
I bought a 6-pack of Vienna sausages and then was kicking myself when I got home because it wasn't Libby's brand. The group was shrink-wrapped and I could not see the can labels. My bad.

If you are going to eat Vienna sausages (and that's a big "if"), I recommend Libby's. Otherwise, you might as well buy dog food.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:08 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
That is an interesting product I have not heard of, and it IS still available for sale. Amazon has a variety pack of 10 for $35, which is reasonable. And the reviews are decent - 80% 4 star or 5 star. Thanks!
The Madras lentils taste like chili, Not Texas Chili, but everyone elses...lol(I'm a Native Texan) , the VeggievTikki Masala is also good. I'm not a huge fan of Quinoa in general, so I don't care for theirs...it is very garlicky. If you have a Costco membership it may be cheaper to order for delivery than Amazon. Since it's in packets, easy to store in the B van
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Found two new (to us) packaged products today at Sprouts Grocery. A Jackfruit skillet mix and Sloppy Joe mix. Going to try both.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200715_072953~2.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	372992Click image for larger version

Name:	20200715_073005~2.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	372993

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:06 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Part of what I'm trying to do is an exercise in futility, but it's an interesting study in pandemic engineering nonetheless.

The other day, I opened a block of "pandemic cheese" - a product I bought a month or two ago, simply because my regular brand was sold out when people were stocking up (some would use the word "hoarding").

Come to find out that this unassuming brand is excellent quality cheese, so good that I would like to switch to it permanently.

It could have come from 3 different grocery stores I was shopping at the outset of the pandemic, so I set about tracking down which one sold it to me, so that I could go back. And as far as I can tell, it's not for sale in Texas.

What probably happened is that, when the supply lines came under strain, buyers in Texas trucked in groceries from wherever they could find them (we know that is true of Texas' flagship grocer HEB, which is legendary for its ability to respond at break-neck speed to the demands of 30 million people). I probably got this block following a one-time supply line purchase that'll never happen again.