Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2020, 09:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Pandemic Projects

I figured since many of us are having to sit at home during Covid vacation season rather than being on the road with our rigs, some of us might not want to let the crisis go to waste and instead are taking this opportunity to fix, upgrade, modify, remodel, etc. their Airstreams.

So I thought I'd start this tread for everyone to share what they are doing specifically during 2020 to pass the time and fix up their campers. Share your project pics and give us some ideas on what to do to change our down time to productive time. (not full monty shell-off restorations, hopefully the sequestering won't last that long!)
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Not so much what we’ve been doing on our trailers, but what we need to do when time allows. There is plenty to do living in the country. Cutting/burning cedar, trenching for Oak Wilt, planting the garden, etc. Concerning the Airstreams, need to wash, check batteries, I have a warped wooden door I need to straighten, treat all the window gaskets, etc. I’m glad you started this thread. Gives me incentive to get out there and get the ASs ready to go. Thanks
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:11 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Chula Vista , California
Since we bought our new AS in Feb we've only been able to use it once. So it sits in the driveway and we've been outfitting it to suit our plans.
We use a 2006 Silverado 1500 Crewcab as a TV. In as much as its got a few miles under its belt we've (or I) have been upgrading it during this off time with a rebuilt rear axle along with new brakes, bearings and a 3:73 ratio replacing the original 3:23s. New tires, new suspension front and rear and a new B&W receiver for piece of mind. I bought the truck new with the HD towing package and it has served us well over the last 14 years and looks as good as the day we brought it home.

I'm also in the middle of a complete frame off restoration of my original owner 68 GTO. It came back from the painters a week before we bought the AS and it has temporarily taken a back seat to the AS and the truck. But since the work on the truck is almost done I'll be getting back to reassembling the GTO from it's bare shell. Frame, suspension, engine are all done. Just need to put it all back together. . Picture of the GTO is from 1969. It was a year old then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1a3c.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	458.3 KB
ID:	365545   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1026.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	365546  

Oreg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:24 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Charlotte , North Carolina
Photo made right before the cat went missing....lol.

I am waiting on a few more connector parts to start a stereo system upgrade.

Also have the raw metal to do a spice rack...not in a hurry about that.

And recently updated my home built flag holder so it pins on and is out of the way if not in use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200404_141951.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	365548   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200404_141605.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	365549  

Al U. Minium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Let there be (natural) light

Finally got around to a little pandemic project on my little 69 caravel, (yes, it's too cute). The wet bath is not only small, but dark with the (rebuilt) accordion door shut and no light turned on.

Sure, you could easily turn the light on, but if you want to save NRG (thanks to my H.S. physics teacher for that abbreviation) I devised a way to add some natural light.
Basically, I cut some holes in the 1/4" dividing wall and used contact cement to glue up a frosted piece of plexiglass on the inside.

I frosted the plexiglass simply by sanding one side of it. When I mounted it, I made sure to put the slick, un-sanded side facing the bathroom so water would run off. I then caulked the edges.

I used some hole saws to cut the windows, just to further the "lightening holes"/aircraft motif I had already established for the interior design, but you could cut holes in any shape you'd like, even little flower pedal shapes if you wanted and had the patience and skill to do that.

Because the corner wet bath is right next to the rear window, opening the curtains lets light shine in. Its bright enough to see what you're doing. The pics were taken on a dark, cloudy overcast day, so normally it would be even brighter.

Apologies for not having the patience nor inclination to understand the complex and inane hoops this site makes one jump through in order to display the pics in their correct orientation. That should be the pandemic project for the site owners.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
Recessed Led's...

I installed new led recessed lighting in my 72 safari airstream. See link below. I also plan on adding a rear view camera, my solar panels and new teak foam covering over my wood floor.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...ll-207360.html
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Like the LEDs you installed, will probably do something like that eventually.

I love everything about LEDs, their look, their energy savings, their longevity.

One weird advantage to traditional incandescents is the warmth they generate on cool evenings. I find the bulb in my wee wet bathroom welcome on chilly mornings or evenings. Do they make 12v heat lamps for RVs? I'm sure they are power hogs, but still...
Old 04-24-2020, 10:32 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Kingsville , Ontario
Love it !

We have wired for a light in our shower ( custom '60 TW, and we thought of passive lighting too. Thanks for the idea man !
KZGoodchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Overhead dish dry dock Mod

Ok, I did this a while back, but if you'd like to modify your galley to make washing dishes quicker, easier and take up less counter space, take a look at this idea.

I must admit I got this idea years ago from this very forum. I can't remember the exact thread, but someone was showing off their galley, and while they didn't mention this handy mod, I noticed it in the pics and thought it was genius.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Overhead bin end cap with plastic bag storage

And one other idea, if you are going to rebuild your overhead bins: a handy built-in slot to stuff plastic bags. Those bags are just about the perfect size for my trailer's trash can, and this way I get dual use of them. I also use these plastic bags to cover greasy, grimy hitch hardware, wet camping items, etc.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
1967 22' Safari
Leawood , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
Ok, I did this a while back, but if you'd like to modify your galley to make washing dishes quicker, easier and take up less counter space, take a look at this idea.

I must admit I got this idea years ago from this very forum. I can't remember the exact thread, but someone was showing off their galley, and while they didn't mention this handy mod, I noticed it in the pics and thought it was genius.

Great idea, ventilating one of your upper lockers. Thanks for posting. Jerry
docflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Over the last 3 days, I completely rebuilt the way the stove/oven is mounted in its cabinet. AS couldn't have designed and assembled a more poor construct. It had almost completely broken away from its mounting structures.
I added the lower rear aluminum support. The range no longer "hangs" from the counter top. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200510_122204.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	367698

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote