Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 02:37 PM   #441
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
I just got my email that the 2020 Pismo Vintage Trailer & RV Rally has been cancelled.

Reservations will automatically be moved to the same 3rd weekend of May weekend/date-range in 2021, unless you contact PCV to cancel for full refund.

"Another one bites the dust!" - as that old 60's song lyric said!

I think that these camping event cancellations will continue to happen for May & probable June, & possibly into July, August & maybe beyond - depending upon what this pandemic does, & when they have proven treatment(s) & vaccinations.

Until then - social distancing will be the norm, & only way to fight this fast & easily spread disease.

So virtual camping & home camping for now!

Tom
///////
We also got the e-mail , so we'll be camping at home .

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply
Old 04-16-2020, 02:41 PM   #442
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Maggie.

Four pages of "Gating Criteria" -- including much more testing -- before anyone can go to to Phase 1.

May 1st opening?

Yeah, maybe in 2021!

Happy trails,

Peter

PS -- FYI -- Another version from CNN:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/16/polit...ica/index.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply
Old 04-16-2020, 03:02 PM   #443
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks Maggie.

Four pages of "Gating Criteria" -- including much more testing -- before anyone can go to to Phase 1.

May 1st opening?

Yeah, maybe in 2021!

Happy trails,

Peter
Being in another country, we will have our own set of guidelines for reopening. Our chief medical officer, however, had a very good line in her daily press conference yesterday when asked "When?"

She said that we aren't yet at the end of our beginning.

That characterization likely has applicability in a lot of jurisdictions.
jcl is offline   Reply
Old 04-16-2020, 03:25 PM   #444
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Texas has similar executive orders to Oklahoma regarding the 14 day quarantine, and such orders require visitors to fill out a form indicating their quarantine location and contact information. Every other day, a sheriff will visit to insure quarantine protocols are followed. Exceptions are visitor's transiting the state and truckers, who are allowed to stop for food, water, fuel and sleep at only designated areas. However, designated areas are not defined and i assume it means truck stops and rest stops only.

Along I-35. I do see private vehicles with Louisiana plates being specifically targeted for stops and questions. I think Texas also includes New York, New Jersey and possible Connecticut on that list with Louisiana.

Though I spending most of my time in the house, I do sense many people here are very frustrated, and want to resume normal lives. There are equally many people who want to stay locked down until all clear is given.
Its a political hot issue right now in Texas.
Martee is offline   Reply
Old 04-16-2020, 03:46 PM   #445
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think Governor Cuomo first used the reference of being near the “end of the beginning” earlier this week. He was quoting someone.

It’s become widely used, and I think it is the perfect description for this point, at least in some places, at beating back this virus.

I’m already thinking of remote places where I could take the Interstate and Lily and spend a few days out of my house.

Maggie
Old 04-16-2020, 06:32 PM   #446
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Tom did cite the order in Oklahoma. I am not about to read it, but such things could be true though illogical to some. If you assume people transiting the state may be infected, requiring strict quarantine makes sense. Why should they be allowed to shed virus on gas pumps? But if you think the risk of shedding virus is small, you would see it differently. If you think there is a right to travel, maybe you look at it differently too.

There is a right to commerce, but it is hardly absolute and public health concerns can override almost everything. I have not been impressed the Oklahoma state government's stance on this for some time and they may have flipped from one extreme to another. That they would draft an order that was poorly drafted would not surprise me at all. It is hard to write orders that are both legal and can be understood by the public, so often enough bad drafting makes people crazy. Or legalese may be easy to misunderstand. Without legalese, the order may be legally insufficient.

So, guys make up. I think you both agree travel now is not a good idea. I think people who have to travel are stuck, frustrated and sometimes trapped somewhere. In a crisis, everybody makes sacrifices and some more than others. In a week we'd be on the road, but no.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply
Old 04-16-2020, 07:16 PM   #447
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Governor Cuomo was quoting Sir Winston Churchill, during WWII.

Look out for everyone. Stay at home.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:04 PM   #448
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Yes Churchill: https://youtu.be/pdRH5wzCQQw
Old 04-16-2020, 09:57 PM   #449
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
To GENE on the lack of toilet paper

I am sure we.have all heard the expression,

"He sure grabbed the 'crappy' end of the stick" with a somewhat more graphic description than 'crappy'

But do you know where that expression came from? Well... the Roman army was organized in groups of 10, 100, 1000, and 10,000 soldiers. The smallest group of 10 actually had 8 legionnaires, 2 slaves and one or two mules depending on the mission. The slaves tended the mules, made and broke camp, prepared meals and oversaw camp sanitation. The last consisted of digging a gopher hole and maintaining the single tool for personal cleanliness - a stick with a sponge that was washed, rinsed, then was wetted with vinegar and wrung out. The slave who cleaned the stick between uses literally had to grab the dirty end to wash, wring and reapply the vinegar. Quite possibly the vinegar was the only thing that could remove the smell and greasy leavings.

Talk about a low status job.

Of course, after the fall of Rome royalty had "gentlemen of the bedchamber" who competed for the duty of wiping the royal behind, in the hope of winning notice and advancement.

So the difference between butt kissing and brown nosing has always been depth perception!

On a vaguely related note, consider the word "decimated". Most use it without knowing what it actually meant. If a legion showed cowardice in the face of the enemy or mutinied a general could punish it by a formal decimation. Lots would be drawn by 10's or 100's and the 10% who drew the losing lots would be clubbed to death - by the "lucky" members of their own decade or century who had escaped the death sentence. Centurions (top sergeants) oversaw the sentence and urged the first men up to hit hard so their brother soldier's suffering would be brief. Refusal to hit? You would take the place of the next victim.

Decimation left 90% of an army alive and physically ready to fight even in the face of inescapable death.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:27 AM   #450
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
To GENE on the lack of toilet paper

I am sure we.have all heard the expression,

"He sure grabbed the 'crappy' end of the stick" with a somewhat more graphic description than 'crappy'

But do you know where that expression came from? Well... the Roman army was organized in groups of 10, 100, 1000, and 10,000 soldiers. The smallest group of 10 actually had 8 legionnaires, 2 slaves and one or two mules depending on the mission. The slaves tended the mules, made and broke camp, prepared meals and oversaw camp sanitation. The last consisted of digging a gopher hole and maintaining the single tool for personal cleanliness - a stick with a sponge that was washed, rinsed, then was wetted with vinegar and wrung out. The slave who cleaned the stick between uses literally had to grab the dirty end to wash, wring and reapply the vinegar. Quite possibly the vinegar was the only thing that could remove the smell and greasy leavings.

Talk about a low status job.

Of course, after the fall of Rome royalty had "gentlemen of the bedchamber" who competed for the duty of wiping the royal behind, in the hope of winning notice and advancement.

So the difference between butt kissing and brown nosing has always been depth perception!

On a vaguely related note, consider the word "decimated". Most use it without knowing what it actually meant. If a legion showed cowardice in the face of the enemy or mutinied a general could punish it by a formal decimation. Lots would be drawn by 10's or 100's and the 10% who drew the losing lots would be clubbed to death - by the "lucky" members of their own decade or century who had escaped the death sentence. Centurions (top sergeants) oversaw the sentence and urged the first men up to hit hard so their brother soldier's suffering would be brief. Refusal to hit? You would take the place of the next victim.

Decimation left 90% of an army alive and physically ready to fight even in the face of inescapable death.
Foiled Again,

Absolutely fascinating! No sarcasm. We may all be on the end of that stick before this is over, but hopefully no decimating will be required.
Landshark is offline   Reply
Old 04-17-2020, 05:02 PM   #451
DMP
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jax , Florida
Florida beaches

Well, if you would like to come on down to the beach, the Duval County beaches and St. John’s County beaches are now open, limited hours, of course. And you must be IN MOTION while on the beach- no sunbathing, sitting, bringing coolers, etc...and p.s. swim at your own risk. We’ll see how the numbers go, but it is especially hard to be inside here, because the weather is so beautiful.
Don’t know about availability at private campgrounds, but state parks remain closed. You wouldn’t believe the increase in traffic on the way home from work, since the beaches in Jacksonville opened at 5pm. And I think we’re still under the stay-at-home orders. It’ll be interesting.
DMP is offline   Reply
Old 04-22-2020, 01:13 PM   #452
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Reed Point , Montana
Update on Yellowstone......several weeks until open, maybe

https://www.kbzk.com/rebound/yellows...pening-of-park
Bigskyrider8 is offline   Reply
Old 04-25-2020, 08:13 PM   #453
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Received this notice concerning Florida State Parks

https://www.floridastateparks.org/learn/safety-updates
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply
Old 04-26-2020, 08:18 PM   #454
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Think I’ll wait to see more data than two ER docs in Bakersfield - 5000 have died in the past 48 hrs -
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply
Old 04-28-2020, 07:37 AM   #455
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
US states to avoid

beware of these states

Georgia, Oklahoma, Alaska, Tennessee , Mississippi and South Carolina have already allowed some businesses to reopen.

Eight states - Arkansas, Iowa, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Utah and Wyoming - never issued mandatory orders to stay at home.
waninae39 is offline   Reply
Old 04-28-2020, 10:33 AM   #456
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigskyrider8 View Post
Also there is a new Yellowstone thread FYI:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f54...er-207823.html

Road info: https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/parkroads.htm
Old 04-28-2020, 02:00 PM   #457
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We have a Colorado River (Grand Canyon) raft trip in September. The raft company (Arizona River Runners) sent me an update today.

"We received an*update from Grand Canyon National Park*that they have extended the suspension of river trips through June 13. Since your trip is after that date, we remain hopeful that your trip will run."

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply
Old 04-29-2020, 03:45 PM   #458
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
CA, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi

There was a sign on I40 in Arkansas that said "Out of state REC travelers not allowed accommodation". We were not turned away from the Little Rock KOA.

One Albuquerque CG said they could not exceed 20% occupancy and were full. Another two were only accepting rigs with prior reservations and may have been following the same protocol. The KOA in Albuquerque efficiently and safely signed us into an overnight site.

Entry into CA - "do you have any fruit or plants? No = proceed.

There are a lot of trucks on the Interstate as would be expected and as you approach metro areas the number of autos increases significantly.

Many rest stops are closed. Rest stop near Flagstaff was signed "Trucks only".

We offer this info, not to encourage camping/travel for pleasure, but to inform folks of conditions if they must travel. We wore masks, used no public facilities, purchased no food or water, sanitized all fuel pumps, practiced strict social distancing, traveled only in daylight hours and drove very conservatively. Note - seeing masks on travelers is rare. Protect yourself. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply
Old 04-30-2020, 12:10 AM   #459
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Here goes nothing

I own one of those essential business. I have to travel occasionally from my home in California to some of my customers located in Arizona. Due to the nature of my work, I use my AS as my office and lodging when I am working remotely.

I just reviewed the self quarantine restrictions for AZ AND for CA, because I didn't want to drive to AZ and find myself quarantined for 14 days before meeting customers and then suffer the same fate when returning to my home in CA. It would be utterly counter productive and silly. It turns out reading the AZ Gov executive order only air travelers from "hot" areas such as NY or NJ (there's a few other eastern states) that are affected. Vehicle travel is OK. CA at the moment doesn't have any travel quarantines from other states. A little weird as CA doesn't like the other 49 states as it has tried to secede from the union three times that I am aware of. Off topic, sorry.

So thinking about this a little more what would happen if some over jealous officer pulled me over just because......what would I say? (Truck is licensed in CA, AS licensed in TX, AZ Corporation, a little odd, but legal) Do I have to carry my articles of incorporation in Arizona with me to show I'm in business? How would the officer know I was on business and not just traveling around for fun? It gets a little messy as each state and local jurisdiction can and does interpret the rules differently depending upon the day of the week.

So I came up with the idea of "Letters of Invitation and Travel". This letter from the customer simply invites me to meet and travel to their business location for the purpose of conducting a specific essential business activity on a specific date(s). It would be printed on their letterhead and signed by a responsible manager as evidence. This should get me there. Coming home to CA may be a different story. We'll see. Travel is scheduled for mid May. Wish me luck.
zapper is offline   Reply
Old 04-30-2020, 12:40 AM   #460
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Correction that should be "zealous" rather than "jealous". Eyes and brain not working together.
zapper is offline   Reply
Closed Thread