Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 05:35 PM   #261
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
There are still many places in the country where a travel lockdown has not been implemented, and where groceries still have product and produce available.

If you live in an area where supplies are low and travel restrictions in place, then by all means shelter in place.

But there may be those who live in other states where self-isolating in a remote spot is both highly responsible and sensible, to protect themselves and others from either catching or transmitting the virus, if they take careful precautions enroute. We do not know the circumstances of those who make this decision, and should not judge or criticize those whose action may indeed be not only rational but commendable.

I myself do not plan on going camping, nor to encourage others to do so, but will not discourage others from doing so as long as they take proven precautions to prevent transmission. Camping isolated for weeks at a time isn't necessarily a fun-fest. It may be, in some areas, in some cases, a necessary measure to keep family and friends safe and decrease the spread of the pandemic.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply
Old 03-20-2020, 05:47 PM   #262
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I can go to a local state park for a couple of days and the closest I get to a living person is when I pass him/her my park reservation. I can go weeks before I will next need diesel and I wear a glove on my right hand when I refuel. I eat, whether I am camping or at home.

Given that the virus lives for a long time on paper or cardboard, I have a lot more chance of getting it from the mail person or the UPS driver than at a state park.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply
Old 03-20-2020, 06:39 PM   #263
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
You know it’s really very simple, everyone needs to follow Federal and Local Laws, there’s no special exemption no matter how some try and slice or dice it.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply
Old 03-20-2020, 07:59 PM   #264
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I don't think the CDC recommended closing schools was so families could go on a vacation trip. It is all about stopping the spread of this disease.

Well said - and coming from a high incidence infection rate place like Denver and going to a low rate of infection rate like Phoenix is irresponsible - especially when the place you are traveling to has a higher senior citizen population
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply
Old 03-20-2020, 08:58 PM   #265
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We have a Grand Canyon raft trip scheduled for this September and recieved this notice today from the raft company (Arizona River Runners). September is a ways out, hoping for the best...

Hello Richard,
We have just received word that Grand Canyon National Park will be suspending river trips until May 21. THIS DOES NOT CURRENTLY AFFECT YOUR RIVER TRIP, but we feel it is important for you to know. We’re hopeful that trips will be able to launch after that date. According to the National Park Service (NPS), “resumption of river trips will be evaluated in mid-April pending current CDC guidance.”
We appreciate you waiting with us to see how things unfold. We will keep preparing for trips that launch after May 21, so we have what we need to put your trip together (forms, payments, etc.) once trips resume.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply
Old 03-20-2020, 09:46 PM   #266
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
A reminder folks - this thread is about camping.... please. Political posts are not allowed at AIR and speculation about possible treatments is off the topic of this thread.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply
Old 03-20-2020, 10:15 PM   #267
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Omaha , Nebraska
I am a scientist an a physician. This is the real deal. I saw at least five patients today who I know had COVID-19 but could not “prove” it because tests are unavailable. If I could get a test turn around time is seven days. So the numbers you see are totally unreliable and at least a week behind the reality. This is a novel virus. At least 50% of us will get it. With a conservative mortality rate of 1% that is 1.5 million deaths in USA. HUNKER DOWN. Listen to the scientist not the politicians.
dolson is offline   Reply
Old 03-21-2020, 05:57 AM   #268
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quick moderator note: several off-topic and/or political posts have been removed. Please do not re-post.

Rocinante is offline   Reply
Old 03-21-2020, 09:28 AM   #269
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Camping during Covid-19 season

Appreciate everyone’s input. We have been self isolating at home. Our thought was to continue to self isolate in the tin can on BLM land. We will not be going, we are staying put. Thanks all.
wulfraat is offline   Reply
Old 03-21-2020, 09:29 AM   #270
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Thanks for the update.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply
Old 03-21-2020, 09:48 AM   #271

Here’s an article that is relevant to the topic of this thread, and which may influence upcoming wilderness camping plans: https://www.hcn.org/articles/covid19...n-public-lands

Old 03-21-2020, 10:18 AM   #272
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Here’s an article that is relevant to the topic of this thread, and which may influence upcoming wilderness camping plans: . . .
Thanks for the great article, which challenges an apparent assumption being made by folks heading out on new trips IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
If you are heading out on a trip right now, are you assuming that you and your family are not carriers of this virus?
. . .

From the article:

"In Moab and other tourist-based towns, the message that their backyards are still open to out-of-town visitors is making both residents and park employees fear that their communities and workplaces could become the next COVID-19 hotspot."

The entire article is worth a very careful read by anyone preparing to leave on a trip, because the view from "the other side" of his issue is important to consider IMO.

Happy trails,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply
Old 03-21-2020, 10:37 AM   #273
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
More information from Arches National Park

https://www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvis...lth_update.htm
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply
Old 03-21-2020, 11:25 AM   #274
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Travel Map

Just looking at the map for my future travel plans.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply
Old 03-21-2020, 12:06 PM   #275
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
For a long time, we have found that our back yard view is a nice one to enjoy. Since we mostly travel and stay in commercial parks, sometimes our own back yard is our best view. No long hike to get to the lookout. Not much elevation to overcome, either coming or going. Close to the toilet facilities. Deliveries to the door ..... you get the point.

Wild life - We have a hawk who hunts from the local trees, the squirrels check out the yard and play on the back fence and the birds enjoy treats from the feeders.

Work - There is the issue of gardening duties, but at least for now, it's under control. The down side is that the home base has more cleaning to do. Certainly, ups and downs with all the views.

Pat
PKI is offline   Reply
Old 03-21-2020, 12:33 PM   #276
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think means and methods and practices are going to evolve over time.

We need to pay attention and do our part, not get too focused on what’s going to happen in a couple of months.

In Illinois, we are under a stay at home order beginning today until April 7, 2 1/2 weeks, and it will be reassessed at that time.

We don’t know what this will all look like by April 7, or in a couple of months.

Maggie
Old 03-21-2020, 12:34 PM   #277
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I'm wondering what will happen when the snowbirds start their migration north?

Currently wintering in Morro Bay, the news tries to look into the future, I don't think we are on anybodies radar yet.

I'm due to roll in June for the redwoods, media is all up about no unnecessary travel, with hints of August. My park is booked out for the summer since Jan 2nd.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:38 PM   #278
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I suspect a lot of people have already headed home, watching this unfold across the nation and in their home states, and taking action accordingly.

A couple from Canada I visited with last week were going to try to finish their winter plans, but were concerned about the rapid spread of the virus where they planned to go and where they would need to travel thru to get home.

I think that if we listen to our spidey senses, when they tell us to get the hell out of Dodge, we do.

I have a trip to Glacier on the train planned with my grands in June, which I will have to cancel completely in May in order to be refunded if it doesn’t seem it will be safe to go.

It’s a mess.

Maggie
Old 03-21-2020, 12:49 PM   #279
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We hate uncertainty, is the truth, and right now we’re being forced to live with it indefinitely.

We need to hunker down, and take it a day at a time.

Maggie
Old 03-21-2020, 01:11 PM   #280

Quick moderator note: several off-topic posts have been removed. Please do not re-post in this thread. Please review the topic of this thread before posting.

Closed Thread